Walking indoors = Boring.

Options

Replies

• Saltine24
    Saltine24 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I also listen to audio books while walking during my lunch, there are lots of free books available on apps.
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    I get all my best reading done on my lunch break walking around inside listening to audiobooks. I use the free Overdrive app with my library card and have access to the entire library collection that way. You can download books when you have wifi too, so you don't even have to stream/use data to do it.

I like non-fiction or capital-L Literature for walking since I need to concentrate more on it and it's therefore more distracting/immersive.
  • barryfree
    barryfree Posts: 4 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    At the gym I go to, Chuze fitness in California there is a theater in the gym that has treadmills, stationary bikes and eliptical machines. They show one movie a day repeating but it's awesome. But even then I like to walk the gym floor in between exercises. I also walk a couple of times while at work.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,990 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    When using the Stairmaster or treadmill in the gym, I listen to my iPod and imagine that I'm walking on trails that I am familiar with.

It's like watching a movie in my head. I walk the trails w/my iPod on too and the iPod is the soundtrack which I just replay in the gym.

Makes the time fly for me.
  • SusanDSME
    SusanDSME Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I'm in Maine, where the winters are usually too cold to run outside. So I'll be on a stationary bike and running laps around our town's gym. I'm going to try listening to music and podcasts. I've resigned myself to the fact that it will be dull compared to running outdoors... but it'll keep me moving!
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I read ebooks on my phone. A lot of people think it's weird that I don't get dizzy or fall over things, though, so I'm not sure it's possible for everyone? If I have a good book I can walk for hours without even noticing. :)

I read e-books sometimes too while I walk. There aren't too many obstacles in the rooms I walk in and I don't get dizzy from it.
    If a person is walking in hallways I imagine there isn't furniture and stuff to run into.
  • victory68
    victory68 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    capaul42 wrote: »
    I usually listen to a podcast but I also do zombies run when listening to music. The missions make a nice change to just walking and listening to music.

Zombies Run?

And so it begins... haha
    You get the first 4 missions for free then one a week for free. If you want to unlock more than that you will have to pay. I started most of the first season with just one a week, but got so interested in the story I ended up upgrading. I am not a zombie fan but I am a fan of this story. I hope you find it as enjoyable as I do and that it makes your indoor walking time more interesting. Oh and just a warning, this app is infamous for making its listeners mutter responses to the characters and earning strange looks from bystanders.
  • WanderingRivers
    WanderingRivers Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    ritzvin wrote: »
    ritzvin wrote: »
    I've watched the entirety of Breaking Bad walking inside. I have a few TV shows that I only watch on the treadmill.

I don't have a treadmill.

Put something on a tablet/phone and prop up on the gym treadmill. (or switch to another gym-- a lot of them have mini-TV's on the cardio equipment now).

I don't have a gym membership. Its too far a walk to one. Any exercise done is done outside a gym.

Wait- Where are you using a treadmill then, if not at home or gym?

I'm not. I'm walking the hallways of the office building I work in.
  • spartan_d
    spartan_d Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    This might not sound very popular, but IMO, the best way to make walking less boring is to go beyond walking.

Walking, as most people define it, barely does anything. When fitness experts recommend walking as exercise, they are talking about a very brisk pace, not the casual stroll that most people use as exercise. And even at a brisk pace, its benefits are extremely limited. See https://www.webmd.com/fitness-exercise/features/is-walking-enough

Going for a light jog might not be suitable in the hallways of an office place, so I would consider doing some brisk stair climbs, if possible. Perhaps even some farmer's carries using moderate weights. Or if nothing else, do some intervals at a very brisk pace.
  • WanderingRivers
    Options
    spartan_d wrote: »
    This might not sound very popular, but IMO, the best way to make walking less boring is to go beyond walking.

Walking, as most people define it, barely does anything. When fitness experts recommend walking as exercise, they are talking about a very brisk pace, not the casual stroll that most people use as exercise. And even at a brisk pace, its benefits are extremely limited. See https://www.webmd.com/fitness-exercise/features/is-walking-enough

Going for a light jog might not be suitable in the hallways of an office place, so I would consider doing some brisk stair climbs, if possible. Perhaps even some farmer's carries using moderate weights. Or if nothing else, do some intervals at a very brisk pace.

I do walk briskly as my default pace. (my spouse oft accuses me of running. Lol)

Like I said in a previous post, stairs are no good for me thanks to a partially attached ACL.

I don't own weights nor do I have access to borrow any. I have to work with what I have which is my own body weight and my own two feet.
  • spartan_d
    spartan_d Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    spartan_d wrote: »

I do walk briskly as my default pace. (my spouse oft accuses me of running. Lol)

Like I said in a previous post, stairs are no good for me thanks to a partially attached ACL.

I don't own weights nor do I have access to borrow any. I have to work with what I have which is my own body weight and my own two feet.
    Well, that's unfortunate. Yes, I missed your previous post wherein you mentioned that stairs weren't an option.

Good on you for keeping a brisk pace. I often see dozens of people going for a leisurely stroll on the local indoor tracks. I shake my head because I know that, at the risk of offending some people, such a slow pace counts for next to nothing.

Perhaps you can carry a book or two in each hand? It's not much, but it's something. If you use a pinch grip, that'll help work your grip strength as well.
  • WanderingRivers
    Options
    victory68 wrote: »
    I usually listen to a podcast but I also do zombies run when listening to music. The missions make a nice change to just walking and listening to music.

Zombies Run?

And so it begins... haha
    You get the first 4 missions for free then one a week for free. If you want to unlock more than that you will have to pay. I started most of the first season with just one a week, but got so interested in the story I ended up upgrading. I am not a zombie fan but I am a fan of this story. I hope you find it as enjoyable as I do and that it makes your indoor walking time more interesting. Oh and just a warning, this app is infamous for making its listeners mutter responses to the characters and earning strange looks from bystanders.

Can I replay missions? Or are they fairly long so that waiting to unlock them isn't too awful.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    @KurumiSophia have any of the suggestions for making walking less boring so far been helpful? For me, walking indoors WOULD be boring, so I have little more to add than has been said already, but then I am not in your situation nor do I have any of your health issues.

Having said that, there are many people who exercise successfully who DO find ways around their issues. As a previous poster mentioned, you do seem to respond quite flatly and negatively to suggestions and I would suggest that it is maybe the way you approach things that makes the activity seem so boring
  • peleroja
    Options
    victory68 wrote: »

Zombies Run?

And so it begins... haha

Can I replay missions? Or are they fairly long so that waiting to unlock them isn't too awful.

I believe you can replay them as often as you want.

Most missions consist of 6-9 audio clips a minute or two in duration, with optional supply pickups or zombie chases interspersed if you want. You can set how long you want your own mission to last (either distance or time) and the app will play the clips at intervals to make up that time. Most people play music as well for the in-between moments and the app will lower the volume for you when the next audio clip begins and keep playing the music afterwards.

More details.
  • WanderingRivers
    Options
    So far, the only thing that appears to be possible would be Zombies Run but I also have monetary limitations so I gravitate to anything free and shy from stuff that costs money.

A lot of the other suggestions would be great if I had access to a gym or exercise machines but I have neither. My physical limitations also keep me from doing certain things. I apologize if I seem like a negative nancy but I have a narrow section of what I can do and the things I cannot occupy a larger section.
  • amtyrell
    amtyrell Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    Walk around the mall with the goal of massive bargain hunting???
  • peleroja
    Options
    So far, the only thing that appears to be possible would be Zombies Run but I also have monetary limitations so I gravitate to anything free and shy from stuff that costs money.

A lot of the other suggestions would be great if I had access to a gym or exercise machines but I have neither. My physical limitations also keep me from doing certain things. I apologize if I seem like a negative nancy but I have a narrow section of what I can do and the things I cannot occupy a larger section.

Why can't you do audiobooks? Free app with a library card and you have access to your entire library's circulation of them, it's wonderful.
  • WanderingRivers
    Options
    amtyrell wrote: »

Mall is 45 minutes by foot. I have no driver's licence. My spouse chauffers me anywhere so the only place I go is work and back or to the grocery. Other that, I am bound to the house.
  • WanderingRivers
    Options
    peleroja wrote: »

Why can't you do audiobooks? Free app with a library card and you have access to your entire library's circulation of them, it's wonderful.

No library card. They still claim I owe money for things I returned. As such, library is off limits for me. Unless anyone has links for me to illegally dl some.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    amtyrell wrote: »

Mall is 45 minutes by foot. I have no driver's licence. My spouse chauffers me anywhere so the only place I go is work and back or to the grocery. Other that, I am bound to the house.

How do you get to work?