99 problems and calories are one!

So it has been hard for me to stay low on my calories this few weeks. Ever since i changed my weight goal my calories intake went down about 100 less. So how do you try to fix this. The days I tend to go over are when Im in school and trying to study. I usually want to snack while reading something. I also eat like every 2 hours or so. I eat 7:30 am then again at 10 ish and so forth. I don’t know if its something i eat evey morning that gets me hungry or I dont know. So asking how do you change this habit if it has happened to you. Do you think i should have a bigger breakfast? Any help is appreciated.

Replies

• ladyhusker39
    ladyhusker39 Posts: 1,406 Member
    Since you're asking about food choices and staying within your calories it would be very helpful if you could open your diary.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited November 2017
    Try a bigger breakfast or no breakfast at all or different foods for breakfast - until you try you won't know how you react.
    My own experiment showed that breakfast has no impact either way on my hunger signals until lunch time so although I enjoy eating first thing it's an easy way for me to shave off a few hundred calories if I need to.

You can also change your calorie goal manually to whatever you choose to get the right personal balance of speed versus making adherence easier.
  • fernie8787
    fernie8787 Posts: 31 Member
    You could lower your weightloss rate and get more calories.

How do you do that?
  • fernie8787
    Since you're asking about food choices and staying within your calories it would be very helpful if you could open your diary.

Mainly asking for anything. If anyone has ever encounter this before. I usually get hungry between mid snack and lunch.
  • fernie8787
    ttreit wrote: »
    Spinach Salad!

One day I was super hungry and made a gigantic (no I mean stupid gigantic) spinach salad with a decent amount of bleu cheese crumbles, bleu cheese dressing, mushrooms, tomatoes, and some freshly fried bacon, and almond slivers. It had SO much flavor and was a ton of food. I ate it out of a mixing bowl, it was delicious, and it was 500ish calories. SO much more food than a cheeseburger - it took me like 40 minutes just to eat it.

If that's not your thing find some greens you love, spruce them up, and then eat a ridiculous amount of them. Asparagus also works for me.

Bottom line - you can eat a lot of bulk and satisfy many cravings using green vegetables as your base.

I usually do get a salad before my homemade lunch. Its just consist of spinach, chicken, carrots, eggs, green peppers with a touch of Italian dressing. Sometimes i don't log in the salad because i don't how to calculate it. I do get full after having this lunch but this all before 4 pm. I try to eat something later on before night but if only if i have calories left.
  • fernie8787
    sijomial wrote: »
    Try a bigger breakfast or no breakfast at all or different foods for breakfast - until you try you won't know how you react.
    My own experiment showed that breakfast has no impact either way on my hunger signals until lunch time so although I enjoy eating first thing it's an easy way for me to shave off a few hundred calories if I need to.

You can also change your calorie goal manually to whatever you choose to get the right personal balance of speed versus making adherence easier.

I usually eat almost about 300+ calories for breakfast but thats almost banana and a granola bar. Sometimes i do eat fruit with cottage cheese or yogurt. That sometimes fills me up. I think I will try to eat later on if that helps. I was looking to change the calorie goal but cant seem to find it. But I also was wondering if it helps to change the calories to help me lose weight.
  • kq1981
    kq1981 Posts: 1,098 Member
    Have you lost weight and your calorie amount has changed you mean?
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    You can manually set your calorie allowance - (web version) home page / goals / daily nutrition goals / edit
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    I actually do better with skipping breakfast most days. If I eat 1st thing in the morning, I'm hungrier for the whole day. Idk why, but that's how it works for me.
    I also find that eating more protein helps me feel full longer and helps curb cravings.
  • kq1981
    kq1981 Posts: 1,098 Member
    I actually do better with skipping breakfast most days. If I eat 1st thing in the morning, I'm hungrier for the whole day. Idk why, but that's how it works for me.
    I also find that eating more protein helps me feel full longer and helps curb cravings.

Me too, I barely eat breakfast, maybe sometimes on a weekend.
  • MaybeLed
    MaybeLed Posts: 250 Member

I find once I start eating I don't stop eating, so the longer I can put of the first meal of the day the better. But it is very individual. that's what works for me (so far)
  • 2snakeswoman
    2snakeswoman Posts: 655 Member
    edited November 2017
    Oatmeal as my first meal of the day keeps me satisfied for a long time. Yesterday I had it with a tbsp of raisins, 1/2 tbsp of almond butter stirred in, and 1/2 tbsp of maple syrup. Delicious!

• fernie8787
    dwilliamca wrote: »
    1. I'm confused what you are saying about your calorie goal? I don't think changing your end weight goal makes any difference in your daily calorie allotment. What does make a difference is what your current weight is (calories drop as your weight drops and I hear birthdays drop calories as well because you get older). More so it depends on how many pounds per week you choose to lose (1000 calories/day for 2 lbs/week 500 calories/day for 1 lb/week and 250 calories/day for 0.5 pound/week. Could you have changed that? Take a look at your settings and make sure they are where you want them to be.
    2. Your 300 calorie breakfast of banana and granola bar doesn't seem very satiating to me. Granola is a high calorie food because of the density of the cereal and usual high amounts of sugar/honey etc. I eat 250-300 calorie breakfasts every day and eat things like 2 egg omelets with tons of veggies, some bacon, & cheese or 2 turkey sausages with hot or cold cereal and fruit, sometimes a waffle and meat. I'm sure I'd be hungry on just a yogurt or cottage cheese without some meat or high fiber/low cal bread to go with it. You shouldn't need to feel hungry after a 300 calorie breakfast. If you do get hungry then add on a piece of low calorie fruit like melon or berries.

I think that the calories did change because of my weight but i really didnt notice it. As i kept going down my calories stayed the same but i think yes i was probably changing something that made it change.
  • fernie8787
    kq1981 wrote: »
    Have you lost weight and your calorie amount has changed you mean?

I think that was the reason why it changed but i had lost about 20 lbs it kind of stayed the same so it just took me by surprise.
  • fernie8787
    edited November 2017
    I usually eat at 11 on weekends and tend to be full until dinner which would be 6. I do eat a big portion of food maybe thats why I would be full. I just going to have to change my eating hours to see if that works. Also i sometimes don’t eat dinner. I only eat granola bars but I know thats a lot of sugar. I just gotta change some stuff to satisfied myself for the day. My first class is 9:25 and have them back to back until 12.

• JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    fernie8787 wrote: »
    I usually eat at 11 on weekends and tend to be full until dinner which would be 6. I do eat a big portion of food maybe thats why I would be full. I just going to have to change my eating hours to see if that works. Also i sometimes don’t eat dinner. I only eat granola bars but I know thats a lot of sugar. I just gotta change some stuff to satisfied myself for the day. My first class is 9:25 and have them back to back until 12.

you eat a bunch of granola bars and no dinner and wonder why you struggle with calories?
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    MaybeLed wrote: »

I find once I start eating I don't stop eating, so the longer I can put of the first meal of the day the better. But it is very individual. that's what works for me (so far)

Same.