Complete waste of calories

Replies

• Mazintrov13
    Mazintrov13 Posts: 133 Member
    I also hate it when I waste money on food that isn’t worth the calories. My favourite treat food is a good chargrilled burger, went to a new place and paid $15 for it to arrive just wet and soggy and gross! Not at all worth the calories I just had a couple of bites and left, so disappointing though.
  • sugaraddict4321
    sugaraddict4321 Posts: 15,701 MFP Moderator
    I don't really restrict myself in order to avoid "wasting" calories, but sometimes I consume something I later feel wasn't worth it.

Last week we went out to dinner at a new Chinese restaurant with friends. No problem. Unfortunately the food was awful. The pork dumpling was a giant pork meatball with no seasoning, wrapped in a soggy dough. I'm more accustomed to having some chopped up pork with veggies and seasoning.

My lemon chicken was not a chicken breast but little pieces (not even sweet & sour size chunks) with a heavy breading. You couldn't taste the chicken for the breading. The lemon sauce was watery and abnormally sour, which turned to weird glue with the breading as it absorbed the liquid. I ate as much as I could stand, because we only go out once a month, but honestly it wasn't worth the money or the calories. :(
  • madwells1
    madwells1 Posts: 510 Member
    tortilla chips
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Desserts in most restaurants. So frustrating. You decide to splurge and it's completely not worth the calories. Seriously, how can you make cakes, puddings, and pies, that taste like artificial supermarket stuff? It's not like it's hard to mix eggs, flours, and sugar...

The last example is that pretzel croissant sandwich from Dunkin Donuts. Was really looking forward to it, tossed it after a couple bites because all I could taste was salt. Yuck.

And that croissant I got from a cafe that tasted like supermarket croissants too (I'm used to the good buttery stuff). Such a waste (like most croissants in croissant sandwiches, to be fair).

I've felt the same for things I DID enjoy but really didn't fill me up though, like fish sandwhiches from fast food places. It's like eating air for 450 calories.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,974 Member
    Totally wasted cals for me and gone from my diet now are:

Sodas (any), sugar flavored drink powders, canned beer (any but still drink draft in moderation), burgers and fries, pizza and baked goods (any except bread in moderation).

I slack and still eat some of these things if I have the cals available but, if I do, it ruins my meal planning for the day and I pay for it in extra exercise to burn cals and/or skewed macros.

The only things that I have NEVER touched again since starting my current 18 month weightloss and maintenance journey are pizzas, canned beer sodas and sugar flavored drink powders.

Routinely drank 6 cans of soda and 3 cans of beer a DAY! And, if I bought a take-out pizza, I'd drink 3 more canned beers w/at least 1/2 of the pizza in one sitting and do the same to finish off the pizza the next day.

Is there any wonder why I got fat?

LOL!

• TEQWAR
    TEQWAR Posts: 1,616 Member
    I resent spending any calories on something that's not going to sate my hunger. I can buy a small candy bar that's greater than 200 calories and it's gone in two mouthfuls and I'm looking round for more... OR, I can knock up a massive mushroom stir fry that is again 200 calories and leaves me feeling so stuffed, I could be Mr Creosote's twin brother. I know which I'm picking these days!
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    I totally get this. I bought a cheese scone for lunch earlier this week, but when I tasted it at my desk a few hours later, it was fairly flavourless. However, as I had nothing else to eat, I finished it, then spent the rest of the day being mad at the cafe for making me waste 400 calories on something I didn't enjoy.

Dont you hate when that happens....we all do that at one time or another :s
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    TEQWAR wrote: »
    I resent spending any calories on something that's not going to sate my hunger. I can buy a small candy bar that's greater than 200 calories and it's gone in two mouthfuls and I'm looking round for more... OR, I can knock up a massive mushroom stir fry that is again 200 calories and leaves me feeling so stuffed, I could be Mr Creosote's twin brother. I know which I'm picking these days!

I'm trying to go back to that mindset, lol.
  • lucerorojo
    lucerorojo Posts: 790 Member
    Yes, since tracking on MFP I have begun thinking this way. When you have a limited amount of calories to eat, you definitely don't want to waste it on something high calorie AND not satisfying or tasty.
  • clicketykeys
    clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member
    Well... I mean... if something's actually GROSS, then no, I won't finish it. But I'm quite capable of appreciating and even enjoying food that's just middle-of-the-road.

I'm with @ryenday in the not-wasting-food group, though with the difference that it's VERY hard for me to pass up something I don't have to pay for! ;)
  • ccruz985
    ccruz985 Posts: 646 Member
    Doughnuts from Dunkin. Seriously, if I'm going to have a treat (and I LOVE doughnuts) I'm not going to have a raggedy one from DD. I will troop to Dough in the city and feel totally gratified. I'm not against the cheat at ALL but it dang sure better be worth it and DD isn't.
  • nickssweetheart
    nickssweetheart Posts: 874 Member
    Any kind of buffet. I used to eat at them regularly. Now, there's no getting around the fact that the food just isn't good enough. If I'm going to invest the calories to go out to eat, I'm going to get exactly what I want, prepared just for me.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Yep I agree, if something doesn't taste utterly delectable then I won't eat it. For my now pretty much redundant sweet tooth, a dessert has to be home made to be worth the high cals.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Desserts in most restaurants. So frustrating. You decide to splurge and it's completely not worth the calories. Seriously, how can you make cakes, puddings, and pies, that taste like artificial supermarket stuff? It's not like it's hard to mix eggs, flours, and sugar...

The last example is that pretzel croissant sandwich from Dunkin Donuts. Was really looking forward to it, tossed it after a couple bites because all I could taste was salt. Yuck.

And that croissant I got from a cafe that tasted like supermarket croissants too (I'm used to the good buttery stuff). Such a waste (like most croissants in croissant sandwiches, to be fair).

I've felt the same for things I DID enjoy but really didn't fill me up though, like fish sandwhiches from fast food places. It's like eating air for 450 calories.

You need to go to better restaurants. I pick restaurants based highly on their dessert menu... And I look around at what other people are receiving to judge what looks good!
  • lucerorojo
    lucerorojo Posts: 790 Member
    A terrible tasting burger from a restaurant. If I planned for that burger, I want that thing to taste like heaven. I've had times where it just doesn't own up to the expectation and I leave with the attitude that I could have lived without it. One example of this is a 5 guys burger. It was so not worth the hype.

Five guys has me running to the toilet! Definitely NOT worth it. And a burger I make at home with grass fed beef tastes better and is also cheaper!
    I made the mistake of eating at five guys a couple of weeks ago after about 5 years not eating there. Still makes me sick!
  • siobhanaalmann
    siobhanaalmann Posts: 2 Member
    I have had this experience time and time again, but I dump the food because I'm pissed that I wasted the money, time, and energy on the bad slop, not because I'm worried about the calories LOL The worst thing is picking the wrong free meal on a flight ("Chicken or beef, ma'am?") You pick the chicken because the beef meal has a weird smell, but the chicken is rubbery or bland as hell and now you have to nibble on the weird dessert cookie because you have no other options until you reach your destination!
  • tess5036
    tess5036 Posts: 942 Member
    A McDonald's quarter pounder. I'd not had one in a long time and was hungry while out driving home and really wanted something hot. It tastedike cardboard, and was not worth 500 calories!