Vegetable sauce ideas?

Options
For dinner i eat some sort of protein. Then I buy Costco frozen vegetables and cook them. It works really well for me. I used to put some mustard on the vegetables for a different taste but that got old. Then I moved to spaghetti sauce. It's like a pasta dish minus the pasta. Can anyone recommend me a sauce or way to get more flavor into my dinners.

Replies

• nickssweetheart
    nickssweetheart Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    I love this peanut sauce on pasta, quinoa, or veggies:

Thai peanut sauce with ginger

Also, what about tossing your veggies with soy sauce and a few drops of toasted sesame oil?

A lemon sauce would probably be really nice too.
  • Idontcareyoupick
    Idontcareyoupick Posts: 2,816 Member
    Options
    Roasting the veggies with parmesan could be good and sometimes I boil my veggies with bouillon cubes if that's not something you struggle with
  • freakhazerd24
    freakhazerd24 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Make a stew/casserole/soup. Can't you fit what you used to eat in your plan....

My wife does make things like that. But the dinner I'm asking about is my quick to go meal when there isn't anything ready and we are tired or busy with work/life stuff.
  • freakhazerd24
    Options

Also, what about tossing your veggies with soy sauce and a few drops of toasted sesame oil?

That peanut sauce looks great gonna try it Monday. Thanks.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Garlic, onion, herbs, spices, vinegars, lemon juice, chicken or beef broth, hot sauce, soy sauce, butter, cheese.
    Roasting or grilling vegetables.
  • Meghanebk
    Meghanebk Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I love effortless sauces/spices on frozen veggies - soy sauce (buy a good one, a few extra bucks can really make a difference), dried garlic and a bit of oil or butter, any of half a dozen bottled dry spice mixes from italian to citrus peppes blends, zaatar, Trader Joe sweet chili sauce. I don't need to watch my salt intake - some spices/sauces are high in sodium if you need to watch that.
  • freakhazerd24
    Options
    Meghanebk wrote: »
    I love effortless sauces/spices on frozen veggies - soy sauce (buy a good one, a few extra bucks can really make a difference), dried garlic and a bit of oil or butter, any of half a dozen bottled dry spice mixes from italian to citrus peppes blends, zaatar, Trader Joe sweet chili sauce. I don't need to watch my salt intake - some spices/sauces are high in sodium if you need to watch that.

I don't really need to watch it either. That gives me some ideas as well thanks.
  • freakhazerd24
    Options
    Make a stew/casserole/soup. Can't you fit what you used to eat in your plan....

My wife does make things like that. But the dinner I'm asking about is my quick to go meal when there isn't anything ready and we are tired or busy with work/life stuff.

Ok...can you make a curry?

Oooooo my wife makes a great chicken curry I could have her make the broth for me. Wouldn't of thought of that. Thanks
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Curries come in a jar too. Teriyaki sauce is good. Try a vinaigrette.
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    I use chili powder and a bit of hot sauce. Sometimes onion/garlic powder. yum
  • brightresolve
    brightresolve Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    • If you can afford a few extra nutritious calories, put a couple ounces of canned vegetarian chili over the frozen broccoli or cauliflower... Amy's is pretty fab.
    • Trader Joe has a spicy black bean dip that's almost non caloric and zesty for a hot veggie partner.
    • Try a lower-calorie dijon vinaigrette over 'em, like Organicville's.
    • A surprisingly small sprinkle of fresh grated romano cheese makes veggies tasty.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    https://www.penzeys.com/ has lots of herb/spice mixes that are good on veggies.

Also Mrs. Dash herb & garlic flavor.

Get a good hard parmigiano reggiano and grate some with a microplane for a fluffy pile of parmesan that weighs far less than you'd expect. 1/4 oz. on a serving of veggies is plenty.

Salsa. Here's a link with the formula for making salsa from almost any combo. https://ohmyveggies.com/how-to-make-salsa-without-tomatoes/ Tonight we're having pineapple/lime/aleppo pepper salsa.

Balsamic vinegar reduction.

Bottled sauces like barbecue, curry sauces, grilling sauces, etc.

Sesame oil or a really good olive oil.

• grinning_chick
    grinning_chick Posts: 765 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    If you like mushrooms and are not avoiding dairy a great alternative to oil-based "condensed cream of mushroom" soup, without the hassle of making your own condensed cream of mushroom soup, as a sauce:

3cuqyn5aeib9.jpg

Enough to properly dress (56 grams) almost two cups of vegetables (243 grams), made with one cup heavy cream (vs. 50/50 or milk) directions, will run you about 200 calories. Fine by itself, probably better if you add some sauteed mushrooms as directed. The key is you have to bring to a simmer to get it to thicken. It's almost like a science experiment in that regard.

If you want a 100% cheese of your choosing sauce for vegetables - no flour/corn - that is creamy, the one from this is delightful: http://modernistcuisine.com/recipes/silky-smooth-macaroni-and-cheese/
  • OldHobo
    OldHobo Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    For dinner i eat some sort of protein. Then I buy Costco frozen vegetables and cook them. It works really well for me. I used to put some mustard on the vegetables for a different taste but that got old. Then I moved to spaghetti sauce. It's like a pasta dish minus the pasta. Can anyone recommend me a sauce or way to get more flavor into my dinners.
    If you saute or pan-fry that protein there is a ton of flavor and the basis for a sauce stuck to the skillet. You can make a simple sauce in the couple/few minutes it takes your meat to rest. Deglaze the pan with a liquid, practically any liquid, and thicken by reduction. The possibilities and options are virtually infinite. Books are written and careers are built upon this simple concept. I'm not going to try to cover it in detail but begin wherever you are and expand your repertoire from there.

Another "secret ingredient" is balsamic vinegar. Don't get the cheapest on the shelf but you don't need the expensive ones either. My corner grocery chain store sells a "Private Selection" brand that is moderately priced and works for me. I only use it to drizzle small quantities over stuff. It comes out of the bottle thick; not thick as honey but getting there. I might use a quarter of a teaspoon, about 3 calories, on a serving of meat, fruit, or vegetables. Some people even put it on ice cream.

• crackpotbaby
    crackpotbaby Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    - sprinkle a little dukkah on top

- good old salt and pepper

- a little balsalmic or white condiment vinegar type dressing

- chop some chives and add a little dash of olive oil, stir the veggies through
  • crackpotbaby
    crackpotbaby Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    Or even a nice chutney/relish?
  • Goober1142
    Goober1142 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Curry powder? Love it with brown rice and veggies. Needs a little butter though
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,055 Member
    Options

That peanut sauce looks great gonna try it Monday. Thanks.

I do a similar thing, but with peanut butter powder (Bell Plantation PB2 brand, defatted peanut flour, or some other brand) if you'd like that flavor for fewer calories. Basically the same recipe, but no additional sugar, and add some vinegar. I use rice vinegar, but any mild vinegar - such as white wine vinegar - would work.

Speaking of vinegar, balsamic vinegar - plain or flavored - is also yummy on veggies. I also enjoy broth made from a bottled paste called "Better Than Boullion"(brand) - comes in various meat formulations as well as veggie or roasted garlic.

Another option is miso broth - don't let the idea freak you out, but it's a traditional Asian food, a fermented soybean paste, rich and complex tasting, that you can thin with water (or vinegar) to make a broth. Comes in various types with various flavor profiles - read the packaging for specifics.