ideas on how to cook Brussels sprouts

Any idea?

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    I roast them too. I use just olive oil or coconut oil and salt, after halving them.
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    I parboil them just to start the cooking process. Then I roast with grapeseed oil with salt and pepper at 400 for 20-30 min. Sometimes I throw a little balsamic glaze on them with blue cheese and bacon crumbles.
  • Moxie42
    Moxie42 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Roasting them is good, as others have mentioned. My personal favorite is in a pan. I slice them in half and put the cut side down into the pan with a little olive oil, salt, pepper, and whatever other spices (I looove a slightly spicy-smoky mix of smoked paprika, cayenne pepper, and cumin...or the South Africa mix from Trader Joes). I cook them until the face-down sides are a medium-dark brown. If they are a particularly large and the rounded sides aren't fully cooked, I flip them over and cook them another minute or two. Overall, I like them to be a bit al dente. Coconut oil instead of olive oil works well too.
  • rhiawiz57
    rhiawiz57 Posts: 906 Member
    yup, halve them, coat lightly in olive oil, salt and pepper, bake on baking sheet at 400 for 20-25. can add garlic if you like.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Cut in half, salt and pepper, butter, roast in oven. My favorite food!
  • minstine
    minstine Posts: 38 Member
    Cut them in half and sautee with pancetta and olive oil. So yum!
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Just wanted to note that tasting Brussels sprouts as bitter is genetic - they've identified the gene. So if they taste nasty to you, don't bother cooking them seventeen different ways, it won't help. Some people can taste the chemical which makes them bitter and some can't.

Personally I love them, as does my mother, but my father and husband were both bitter tasters who hated them. I like them sautéed with butter and balsamic vinegar.
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,246 Member
    edited November 2017
    Another vote for the roasting camp. EVOO and whatever spices suit your fancy. I especially love all the crispy leaves that fall off and get super crunchy. 400 degrees for 20 minutes or less. Best if not overdone.

Another way that hasn't been mentioned is to eat them raw in a salad. If you have a food processor or mandoline to finely slice them, that's perfect. Otherwise just pulse them in a blender, or chop into small pieces with a chef's knife. Add craisins, pecans and a citrus vinaigrette. I've added brussels sprouts to all kinds of slaws combined with cabbage, apples, walnuts and various dressings. Yum!
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    1lmnzm.jpg

See. I'd do this.

And then toss the Brussels sprouts in the compost.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Noel_57 wrote: »
    I'm asking the moderator to boot the brussel sprouts haters to the "cleanse" thread. :angry:

This is the thread to send them to

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10498878/looking-for-friends-who-dont-eat-clean-and-healthy

I live there :)
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,487 Member
    I love them just steamed, but for special occasions (where my son a bsprout hater is involved) I par boil the sprouts while frying some bacon in an iron frying pan, drain and dry the sprouts then dump in the pan with the bacon, grind pepper and grate orange zest over, stir, then roast. When done squeeze orange juice over, serve. Tasty.

Cheers, h.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,871 Member
    edited November 2017
    Noel_57 wrote: »
    I'm asking the moderator to boot the brussel sprouts haters to the "cleanse" thread. :angry:

This is the thread to send them to

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10498878/looking-for-friends-who-dont-eat-clean-and-healthy

I live there :)

Wait, I like Brussels sprouts - does that mean I have to leave that thread?? :cry: Because I just posted about pie. Lemon meringue :yum:

ETA, agree with the majority that roasted sprouts with olive oil is delicious. Bacon is a close second, though.
  • ccsernica
    ccsernica Posts: 1,040 Member
    Coincidentally, this is on the MFP homepage today: http://blog.myfitnesspal.com/5-brussels-sprouts-recipes-make-tonight/
  • jayemes
    jayemes Posts: 865 Member
    I'm not a huge fan but I like them roasted with diced sweet potatoes, olive oil, salt and thyme
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Steam them for a bit, then sautee them in bacon grease until they're the consistency you prefer.
  • Poisonedpawn78
    Poisonedpawn78 Posts: 1,145 Member
    The best brussel sprout recipe is the following:

Wash the brussel sprouts in ACV and let them sit in it for 24 hours.
    Throw them out and buy broccoli.
  • megs_1985
    megs_1985 Posts: 199 Member
    I roast them with McCormicks Mediterranean Sea Salt blend and olive oil. You can also add pancetta (Italian bacon) or Parmesan cheese. I sometimes also roast them with cherry tomatoes.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Saute with butter and bacon or instead of butter just cook them with the bacon so they absorb the grease, then at least they taste like something I enjoy.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    JaydedMiss wrote: »
    am i the only one who literally just boils her veggies and has a big veggie bowl and is perfectly fine with that xD ?

Nope, I like my vegetables plain and steamed and I love Brussels Sprouts. That said, I wouldn't turn my nose up to roasted vegetables or cabbage with bacon.
  • happyauntie2015
    happyauntie2015 Posts: 282 Member
    I like them roasted. I slice them in half the night before and place them in a zip lock bag with a little Olive oil, pepper, salt, garlic and onion powder, sliced mushrooms, sweet tomatoes and bacon pieces. Oven goes on 400 for 25 minutes
  • Nomseys
    Nomseys Posts: 43 Member
    I slice them in half and roast them with onions, garlic, olive oil, a bit of Sriracha , and a touch of honey. They are amazing.
  • JoLightensUp
    JoLightensUp Posts: 140 Member
    Well you all have just inspired me to give Brussels sprouts another chance. Some of those ideas sound delicious. Plus I don't want to go to the cleanse thread.
  • maryannprt
    maryannprt Posts: 152 Member
    Slice and saute in a touch of olive oil, finish with a sherry dijon vinaigrette. If I'm feeling fancy, I throw in a little diced panetta. It takes a few minutes to slice the Brussels sprouts but only a minute or 2 to saute them. So yummy.
  • Burton_Bmc
    Burton_Bmc Posts: 35 Member
    Carve them in like crosswise, cook them till they are soft as butter and add a little nutmeg. Simplicity :)
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    JaydedMiss wrote: »
    am i the only one who literally just boils her veggies and has a big veggie bowl and is perfectly fine with that xD ?

I can not stand those suckers boiled but love them roasted. Life would be boring if we were all the same.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,997 Member
    There are a lot of recipes for brussels sprouts, some of them somewhat involved and complicated, which seem designed to mainly cover or "improve" the flavor of the sprouts w/bacon, cheese, balssmic vinegsr or whatever.

I prefer to simply clean and cut them in half, steam them for a couple of mins in the microwave and then season them w/salt and, if I have the cals available, top them w/some unsalted butter.

That's all you need to do if you actually enjoy the taste of brussel sprouts.