what have YOU given up to help attain your fitness goals?

Options

Replies

• patrick323
    Options
    I used to eat pizza once a week, and ate out numerous times in a week. After work and cleaning, walking the dog, I was exhausted. Now, I cant be lazy. I have to cook. :( lol

You can cook really healthy gourmet pizza at home with little effort that will rival that of any pizza you'll find when you go out! :) Especially with gluten free , thin crust with mostly veggies on top......i see that as reasonably healthy.
  • babyblake11
    babyblake11 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    Gave up the excess fat and usual low energy levels is exchange for feeling, performing and looking better. Don't think of a healthier life as being a sacrifice.

Sorry just had to say it :)

AGREED! :)
  • mandysjourney
    mandysjourney Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Gave up the excess fat and usual low energy levels is exchange for feeling, performing and looking better. Don't think of a healthier life as being a sacrifice.

Sorry just had to say it :)

agree. yep i gave up overeating and a bit of couch time to add the exercise
  • rachmaree
    rachmaree Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    I don't really feel that I've given up anything, I just try to be more careful about what I choose to eat. Sure, I try to avoid white rice, white bread and white pasta, but mostly because I don't like the way any of that makes me feel to begin with. I do try to limit my 'treats' a bit more than before, but they are still included :)
  • silkysly
    silkysly Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I gave up everything that was bad for me. Have not missed any of it. I feel much better and I am almost off of bloodpressure meds. Life is great.

WAY COOL for you! I don't look at it like what have I given up.., I look at what I'm gaining. It's counter productive to dwell on the other crud.
  • Crystalchaos72
    Options
    I gave up everything that was bad for me. Have not missed any of it. I feel much better and I am almost off of bloodpressure meds. Life is great.

WAY COOL for you! I don't look at it like what have I given up.., I look at what I'm gaining. It's counter productive to dwell on the other crud.

Everyone is entitiled to their opinion......I don't look at it as "oh, I really miss that crap"......more like "wow, I am making better choices"
    :)
  • schroje83
    schroje83 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Grains
    Dairy
    Diet soda
    Artificial sweeteners
    Processed foods
  • emma1488
    emma1488 Posts: 175
    Options
    Nothing really.

I still eat out, I still drink pop, I still have sweets.

BUT, it's in moderation.

Instead of sitting on my *kitten* I move.

It's not costing me anything to move. Its saving me money on fast food! :)

amen to tht!!
  • katkins3
    katkins3 Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    i haven't actually given up anything, but there's a lot of things i only have very rarely now, and things i avoid where i can

The same. I don't eat out at lunch much anymore, but the upside of that is I save a bunch of money by eating in. I still have dinner out pretty often, for me, but I mostly choose restaurants where I can get the nutritional information online.
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    Nothing.

Actually, I did. I gave up living on pasta and toast and started eating protein and other healthy foods more often. I gave up feeling crappy and hungry all day. :)
  • Strive2BLean
    Strive2BLean Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I have given up anything made with flour whether it's wheat or white flour. It has made a huge difference in my weight loss and got my weight loss started again after a long plateau. I only have one whole wheat high fiber wrap a week when I have to take lunch when we play golf. My carbs come from whole grains like wheat berries and brown rice, fruit and veggies. I wish I would have figured this out sooner cause it has also made me stop craving bad foods too.
  • DFemme
    DFemme Posts: 2
    Options
    I have given up family time in order to commit to exercise - but the trade off of a happier and healthier mum with lots of energy is better for everyone!!!
  • ladybug11
    ladybug11 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Meat, dairy, eggs, refined sugar, enriched flour, sodas, most processed foods. I've tried to incorporate as many gluten-free products as possible, but that's something I'm not willing to completely eliminate from my diet at this point.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    Time with my son. We still get time together, just not as much.
  • Seajolly
    Seajolly Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    I haven't given up anything except portion size. I still eat all the same foods I did previously. I just eat them in the right portions now!
  • marquesajen
    Options
    I live a block over from Wawa, which means I have chips, soda, candy, etc very close at hand. I've given all of that up, except for an occasional splurge, but rare.
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    TV.
  • danilynn16
    danilynn16 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I gave up cream and sugar in my coffee during the week. Sometimes on the weekend I will treat myself to a Dunkin Donuts coffee with cream and sugar...depending on how well I did during the week :)
  • chitniss
    chitniss Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Gave up soda. Other than that, eat everything. Just moderation to keep things in check. So, only two slices of pizza yesterday instead of the whole, which I used to do a couple of months back.
  • foremant86
    foremant86 Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    The only thing i have really given up is Sweet Tea and that's because i use to drink way too much of it and now I focus on drinking water.

Though I am going to try making some with stevia and see how that turns out since everyone else that comes over loves sweet tea i figure it's nice to have something for them to drink.

Technically I've given up fast food but that's mostly because I don't actually like it very much.

The rest of the bad stuff i have in a very small moderation once in a blue moon but i've found healthier alternatives to most of it. Instead of indulging on Dairy Queen I now have skinny cow ice cream, instead of candy bars and candy I find that my protein shake takes care of any sweet tooth i use to have.