Is a steak cooked well done any healthier?

Options

Replies

• Moxie42
    Moxie42 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    Moxie42 wrote: »
    I think it's pretty much personal preference. I used to only order well done (don't shoot me guys, I've changed my ways!) because I hated the possibility of blood being on the plate. As in, at home I would squeeze steak against my plate with a spatula to get the juices out, and I would not eat anything on that same plate. I also drowned the steak in A1- for me, steak was definitely just the delivery device for A1. Then I learned that a lot of restaurants (at least here in the US) will use the older, maybe slightly questionable meat when someone orders well done, because it kills whatever nasties are in there. So I started ordering medium-well, and realized I preferred it. Now I order medium and am usually perfectly happy (still can't handle blood on the plate though. It has to be pink inside, NO red!) And yeah, I admit, as much as I love the taste of a good steak, nothing will pry that A1 one of my hands (I do use less of it though). A1 is also amazing on fries, especially steak fries (those big wedge potato fries) but I digress...

As far as carcinogens go, I haven't heard of that theory but I certainly wouldn't worry about it if you're only eating it once a month.

It's water and a protein called myoglobin, not blood.

Thanks for the explanation. I had no idea, and it definitely makes me feel less icky about it :)
  • Sp1tfire
    Sp1tfire Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    If you cook it long enough you'll burn the calories off completely just by chewing it
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    TonyB0588 wrote: »
    "Rare" is the one that upsets me the most - still red and bloody, and not even chewable sometimes!!

You either don't buy the right quality meat or don't cook it properly. You don't want to eat it "blue" but a properly grilled thick rare steak is among my absolutely favorites.

The key is very high heat and a very thick cut of at least 1-1.5". I buy NY sirloin in bulk at Costco, cut it myself and either grill it on the stove or the BBQ. Yum!!!

• EverydaySheree
    EverydaySheree Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    A lean 7-oz grass-fed strip steak = 234 calories & 5 grams of fat. Grass-fed has higher omega-3 fatty acids, great for heart health.
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    TonyB0588 wrote: »
    "Rare" is the one that upsets me the most - still red and bloody, and not even chewable sometimes!!

You either don't buy the right quality meat or don't cook it properly. You don't want to eat it "blue" but a properly grilled thick rare steak is among my absolutely favorites.

The key is very high heat and a very thick cut of at least 1-1.5". I buy NY sirloin in bulk at Costco, cut it myself and either grill it on the stove or the BBQ. Yum!!!

No. It's what gets offered to me at some friends' houses :s . But at home it's definitely going to be well-done.
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,203 Member
    Options
    If you don't like red/pink red meats like beef, OP, eat it well done. There is absolutely nothing wrong with doing so, ffs.

It reduces the odds that I'll get an illness from undercooked meat. It also reduces the odds of me vomiting when I see blood oozing on my plate, insuring I keep the protein ingested. ...So my vote goes to yes, more healthy!

This is beef we're discussing not chicken or pork. You don't get salmonella or trichinosis from rare beef. And the red liquid is water and a protein called myoglobin. It's not blood. Please don't spread misinformation.

Cattle absolutely can be infected with salmonella. While not as common as it used to be with primal cuts versus hamburger, the risk is not nil and a steak can absolutely become contaminated by the bacteria. http://www.foodsafetynews.com/2014/10/cdc-shares-mass-of-data-on-e-coli-and-salmonella-in-beef/

Every red blood cell and milliliter of plasma - aka blood - does not drain out of an animal and therefore its muscle tissue during the slaughter process. There's a reason why cadaver cardiovascular systems are plasticized beyond making their dissection easier; that particular process does remove all the blood down to the capillary level.

Sure, it is usually clotted in the vascular but it is there.

Quote from: msue.anr.msu.edu/news/the_color_of_meat_depends_on_myoglobin_part_1

"Along with water from muscle, myoglobin is what is found in meat packages that leaks out of the muscles during storage and most people think is blood."

Feel free to Google other sources. It is NOT blood.
  • GemstoneofHeart
    GemstoneofHeart Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Growing up my mom always ate raw hamburger meat. She would pick off bites before my dad would cook up burgers or whatever. She did it her whole life and she’s fine. It’s absolutely disgusting, but she’s fine.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Growing up my mom always ate raw hamburger meat. She would pick off bites before my dad would cook up burgers or whatever. She did it her whole life and she’s fine. It’s absolutely disgusting, but she’s fine.

I quite enjoy a good steak tartare...
  • 4homer
    4homer Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I just love steak. I don't care if it rare or cooked well done. I just want that meat in my mouth
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Actually, well done steak has more calories than medium rare steak. Anytime you cook food it becomes easier to digest and the calories become more bio-available.

Supposedly cooking over fire was a major step in the evolution of cavemen because it allowed them to get a lot more energy out of their food. But I doubt even cavemen where stupid enough to cook steak to well done! Medium rare please with a crispy exterior!
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    steak for me every weekend.
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    cs2thecox wrote: »
    **total overgeneralisation alert**

Given basically everything seems to increase the risk of cancer these days, I reckon the best kind of steak is the kind that makes you happiest.

The best way to cook steak does depend on the cut though... a lean cut like fillet can be served very rare, but a fattier cut needs to be more like medium to render the fat and make it tasty, otherwise the fat is just gross and raw and stringy, and no-one wants that.

(I also consider burnt crispy bits to be an important food group, but that's another story :p )

Sorry but that's just not true! Lean cuts like Filet are often stringy at rare temps (eg 125). They're by far more tender at medium rare (130-135) at which point most of those strings melt down. In my experience a lot of restaurants can't seem to get medium rare right, and often serve you rare steak if you order medium rare and then it's stringy. But that's just the restaurant being incompetent. Really almost all cuts of steak are most tender at medium rare, especially the most marbled ones like ribeye.

If you're referring to tough and fatty cuts like ribs, then yes they need to be taken slowly to a higher temperature (eg 200 deg), way beyond well done (155). That's because you have to melt down the tendons that would make the meat almost impossible to chew otherwise.
  • delaclos99
    delaclos99 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    (I also consider burnt crispy bits to be an important food group, but that's another story :p )

Any relation to Sam Vimes?
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options

My mother (and myself) too, usually with a bit of salt and pepper. (And yes, we knew/know it's a food poisoning risk, but so yummy.)

On steak, I order medium or medium-rare. Currently in an upper flat with no area for a grill, so haven't bought steak in a while (I wouldn't be able to do it justice on the stove). Haven't checked in a while, but Aldi's used to have pretty cheap 4-packs of sirloin steaks that were pretty decent if you marinated them for a few hours beforehand then tossed on the grill for a few minutes. I used to get them for dinner parties... we did have to leave one on always until shoe leather for one particular recurring guest. (I winced whenever I poked at that poor steak).
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    delaclos99 wrote: »

Any relation to Sam Vimes?

I *puffy heart* you so much right now.