What exercise that burns a lot of calories ?

Options
Hi there. I just started with 4 days streak. Im here to ask which exercise tht burns a lot of calories because i've been working out for an hour a day but the calories tht has been burnt was only equal to 3 slices of pizza. Any idea ? Thank you so much and have a good day :)

Replies

• H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    Depending on the pizza, that could be anywhere from 600 to well over 1,000 calories in exercise burn over 4 days....not too shabby in either scenario, in my opinion. I burn the majority of my calories running, but I don't run to burn calories....I run because I enjoy it. When I'm looking to lose and need a significant calorie deficit, I gain it by eating less.
  • mgalsf12
    mgalsf12 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    If you are burning enough calories to burn 3 slices of pizza, you are doing amazingly well! Pizza has a lot of calories! Remember it's about learning to have a healthy active lifestyle, be patient with yourself. Vary your exercises and do things you enjoy; walk, run, skate, cycle, weight training.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    With exercise, I would focus on finding something that you enjoy and helps you meet your fitness goals, not just burning the most amount of calories.

Agree 100%.

In terms of calorie expenditure it's hard to beat running but if you're new to it you need to build time/distance gradually (most running injuries are a result of too much, too soon, too fast)

Do you have a specific fitness goal in mind?

• Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Hi there. I just started with 4 days streak. Im here to ask which exercise tht burns a lot of calories because i've been working out for an hour a day but the calories tht has been burnt was only equal to 3 slices of pizza. Any idea ? Thank you so much and have a good day :)

burning the equivalent of three slices of pizza in one hour of exercise is crazy high...what kind of exercise are you doing and how much were you hoping to burn in an hour?
  • Janice6543
    Janice6543 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Rowing machine at the gym.
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options

Running and elliptical work usually get me like 300-500 calories burned. And that's only the MFP estimate. Try weight lifting. Less of a burn while working out but it continuously burns calories more so throughout the day than cardio would.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    jjpptt2 wrote: »

Yea, that's probably about right for most exercise. I've heard that things like XC skiing and rowing are some of the biggest calorie burners on average, but ultimately exercise doesn't burn as many cals as most people would like. I don't think you'll do much better than 3 pieces of pizza for an hour's workout, regardless of what exercise you're doing.

If you stay in Mazama WA, there are hotels with groomed XC ski trails leading to the front door. You can ski about 15 miles (3 hours if you're very fast) to get pizza, then back to your hotel. All the slices you want!
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    Spin class
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,988 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    I burn160-165 cals rowing for 14-15 min at a moderate rate. Do it twice and that's 320-330 cals in just 30 mins; 40-45 mins if I take a break in between.

A flat 1hr walk on the treadmill at a slow 2.4mi/hr burns only 200 cals.

On the other hand, it takes me 1 hr 48 mins to burn 377 cals by hiking 4.22 miles.on flat ground. Add a 1k elevation to the hike and the cal burn estimate goes up to 798 cals. Add another hr to drive to/from the hiking location and it takes about 3 hrs total.

The hike is more time consuming but more enjoyable. Rowing is more efficient. The treadmill is the least efficient and most boring.
  • isay808
    isay808 Posts: 52 Member
    Options

I love hiking early in the morning when it’s nice and cool out. I can burn anywhere from 300-800 calories in approximately 1-3 hours depending on the incline, and how hard I push.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

Running a half marathon is good!
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,118 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Climbing stairs for an hour could give you about 530 calories
    Cycling briskly (outside or in a spinning class) for an hour might do the same.
    Hiking might be in that same ball park.
    Running might give you a little bit more.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    I mix it up every single day, I do something different, and it is always outside no matter what the weather,rain, snow, minus 30!, bike, walk, swim, kangoo jumps. stand up paddle board, roller blade, ski, snowshoe. on and on and on, I love to try new things and easily burn over 1000 calories a day, 7 days a week.