Options
13»

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,398 MFP Moderator
    Options
    pandagreek wrote: »
    czmiles926 wrote: »
    I've been vegetarian (I eat fish about once a week so technically I'm pescetarian) for over a year now but I'm not sure if I should stay vegetarian. I'm starting to feel like I'm denying myself things that I would enjoy because of a label I gave myself.
    I stopped eating meat and gelatine when I started university to reduce my environmental impact. But I suppose it was also a way of me embracing the new indepence that came with living away from home for the first time.
    It was also a good excuse to get out of eating some of the awful meat dishes my mum makes when I came home during the holidays.
    My vegetarian friend has taken a break from being vegetarian at the moment.
    If I did stop being vegetarian I would still use Quorn instead of meat in my cooking as I prefer it (0% chance of gristle). I would probably only eat meat when I go to fast food outlets because that's when I feel the most like I'm missing out.
    Am I weak for not sticking to it though?
    I suppose this is more of a philosophical question than a nutrition question, but oh well,I wanted to hear some other opinions.

You should always eat the way that you feel convicted to. As somebody who has looked into becoming a vegetarian and looked at the health benefits, there are some nutrients that you can only receive by eating meat. Taking supplements are great and easy however it does not compare to the actual nutrients that we receive from actual animal proteins.

What essential nutrients are only found in meat?

B12
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    I've been vegetarian (I eat fish about once a week so technically I'm pescetarian) for over a year now but I'm not sure if I should stay vegetarian. I'm starting to feel like I'm denying myself things that I would enjoy because of a label I gave myself.
    I stopped eating meat and gelatine when I started university to reduce my environmental impact. But I suppose it was also a way of me embracing the new indepence that came with living away from home for the first time.
    It was also a good excuse to get out of eating some of the awful meat dishes my mum makes when I came home during the holidays.
    If I did stop being vegetarian I would still use Quorn instead of meat in my cooking as I prefer it (0% chance of gristle). I would probably only eat meat when I go to fast food outlets because that's when I feel the most like I'm missing out.
    I suppose this is more of a philosophical question than a nutrition question, but oh well,I wanted to hear some other opinions.

You should always eat the way that you feel convicted to. As somebody who has looked into becoming a vegetarian and looked at the health benefits, there are some nutrients that you can only receive by eating meat. Taking supplements are great and easy however it does not compare to the actual nutrients that we receive from actual animal proteins.

B12

You're right that it's only found in animal products (or supplements), but it's in eggs and dairy in addition to meat.

There is no nutrient, to my knowledge, that is only found in meat.

• psuLemon
    edited November 2017
    Options

B12

You're right that it's only found in animal products (or supplements), but it's in eggs and dairy in addition to meat.

So its not naturally found in plant based foods, so it requires supplementation or fortified foods to get it unless you eat animal products, which meat, eggs, and dairy all are.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

B12

So its not naturally found in plant based foods, so it requires supplementation or fortified foods to get it unless you eat animal products, which meat, eggs, and dairy all are.

I agree that it's not naturally found in plant based foods, that's just a basic fact.

The specific comment I was replying to was: "there are some nutrients that you can only receive by eating meat." I don't consider that to be factually accurate (unless you consider eggs and dairy to be meat, which is different than how most people are using the word). Lacto-ovo vegetarians (which is what OP probably is) are eating eggs and dairy so they're receiving B12 in their diet.

So if someone wrote "there are some nutrients that you can only receive by eating meat," I wouldn't challenge that statement (except perhaps to point out that one *can* receive those nutrients though supplementation, so even then eating animal products isn't *required* for meeting nutritional needs). It's singling out meat specifically as a source of nutrition that cannot be found elsewhere -- that's what I'm questioning.
  • PAFC84
    PAFC84 Posts: 1,871 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Come to the dark side...you know that you want to.

Personally I think that fast food outlets serve the worst tasting meat which they try to make taste better by masking it with sauces and additives.
  • psuLemon
    Options

B12

I agree that it's not naturally found in plant based foods, that's just a basic fact.

The specific comment I was replying to was: "there are some nutrients that you can only receive by eating meat." I don't consider that to be factually accurate (unless you consider eggs and dairy to be meat, which is different than how most people are using the word). Lacto-ovo vegetarians (which is what OP probably is) are eating eggs and dairy so they're receiving B12 in their diet.

So if someone wrote "there are some nutrients that you can only receive by eating meat," I wouldn't challenge that statement (except perhaps to point out that one *can* receive those nutrients though supplementation, so even then eating animal products isn't *required* for meeting nutritional needs). It's singling out meat specifically as a source of nutrition that cannot be found elsewhere -- that's what I'm questioning.

For some reason i actually thought that said animal products. Eggs and dairy are not meat. So i guess it wasn't truly accurate.
  • LearningToFly13
    LearningToFly13 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    No way. Eating a dead carcass is nothing your missing out on.

I would eat your dead carcass without the slightest tinge of guilt.

Lol :D
  • Holly_Wood_888
    Holly_Wood_888 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Only you know whats right for you !
    Perhaps You need to try something you are craving to be reminded of how it could make you feel ... I ate meat most of my life and have been recently eating a plant based diet. I sleep better, and Everything digests properly but that doesnt mean I dont miss cheese.

We all have cravings, Two weeks ago I craved French Fries, so my hubby and I went to A and W and had onion rings and fries - I felt no guilt :)