Crossfit yes or no

Options
Thinking about doing some crossfit along with my normal strenght training. Lots of crossfit gyms around here. Giving it a try on Monday. I’m positive it will be fun and great cardio.

Replies

• Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member
    Options
    I love Crossfit because it works well for my goals. No harm checking it out to see if you like it.
  • Luxduca
    Luxduca Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    Good to know. I will let you know how it goes. Thanks
  • Luxduca
    Options
    Why not?
  • Luxduca
    Options
    Wow! That doesn’t sound like a good experience at all.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Nope. Running for me for cardio
  • Luxduca
    Options
    I’ll give a try on Monday. At least I can actually experience it once.
  • Luxduca
    Options
    I can definitely tell the divide. That’s why i was asking for opinions. I can see what you’re saying. They do exaggerated sets and reps snd i can see how it can be overwhelming especially if trained by someone who doesn’t know what he’s doing.
    Thank you for your takes on this.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    The only problem I have with CF is doing Olympic Lifts for time.
    (The CF community is a lil' quirky, but most niche sports are, right?)

Like mentioned above, scaling the training is a smart move.

Best of luck

• Luxduca
    Options
    Thanks for your input. Monday will be the day. I will have my own way of seeing it but all you told is very helpful.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,978 Member
    Options
    Oh, one other thing, while they have some "open" gym times, most Crossfit workout sessions are scheduled either early or late in the day around most people's work schedules but this is not compatible with mine.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Not for me. Roughly 107% chance I'd end up in the ER.
    If you do it right, seems like the results can be awesome.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Crossfit isn't anything earth shattering nor is it inherently dangerous. I agree now that it has been around a while, places are getting better and more informed with fewer poor coaches and trainers.

I am a fan because it gets people excited to exercise. That's huge. I'd still urge anyone new to go to as many boxes as they can and check them out. Also make sure you are put through a pretty encompassing beginner or on ramp program.

It's unfortunate to see so many people shy away because of the price...but then again when it comes to fitness in general, so few people are willing to invest money in their health. Everybody wants planet fitness prices, but then complain they don't get results. But that's a whole different tangent.