Crossfit yes or no

Replies

• sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,974 Member
    rybo wrote: »
    It's unfortunate to see so many people shy away because of the price...but then again when it comes to fitness in general, so few people are willing to invest money in their health. Everybody wants planet fitness prices, but then complain they don't get results. But that's a whole different tangent.

Yeah, there's that too but you can get as good a workout and physique for FREE working out by yourself, or in a small group of like minded people, if you have the discipline to do it. Unfortunately, few people do.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    No. Too random(low frequency) & sub optimal strength training for my goals of powerlifting.
  • brooklyngyrrl1
    brooklyngyrrl1 Posts: 1 Member
    YES!!! at least give it a try. It’s not for everyone but I’ve been doing it for two year and I love it. It’s not a magic bullet. As with everything you have to maintain a healthy diet to SEE changes in you body structure but I’m definitely stronger, faster and my endurance has increased dramatically. I love Crossfit.
  • Jen2133
    Jen2133 Posts: 94 Member
    I really enjoy Crossfit and agree with @cbrealtor55 that you need to set your own limits as to modifications, weight and reps. Good coaches will be supportive and provide guidance in this. As most have suggested, check out a few gyms in your area before committing.

I also agree with @Chieflrg that it is not a specific workout. If this isn't a concern for you, then you might just really enjoy the variety and community at Crossfit.

Let us know how it goes!
  • KylaBlaze
    KylaBlaze Posts: 136 Member
    Why pay a crazy amount of money every month just to have most (if not all) the same equipment in a regular gym? I’ll pass!
  • KarenSmith2018
    KarenSmith2018 Posts: 302 Member
    I am a fully paid up member of the CrossFit cult. I absolutely adore it. So long as you can cope with "random" programming, not knowing what you are facing until the day and happy mixing it up its all good. Deff check rour ego at the door. No-one cares if you are lifting RX or scaled so long as you try your hardest, don't cheat your reps, listen to your coach and engage with the class. It has got me the fittest, fastest and strongest I've ever been and i have an amazing coach and members to push me along me way!
  • Morgaen73
    Morgaen73 Posts: 2,818 Member
    edited November 2017
    I am a fully paid up member of the CrossFit cult. I absolutely adore it. So long as you can cope with "random" programming, not knowing what you are facing until the day and happy mixing it up its all good. Deff check rour ego at the door. No-one cares if you are lifting RX or scaled so long as you try your hardest, don't cheat your reps, listen to your coach and engage with the class. It has got me the fittest, fastest and strongest I've ever been and i have an amazing coach and members to push me along me way!

So am I

I used to to go to gym. Get there, do my cardio, pick *kitten* up, put it down, go home. I got tired of it. I love the randomness because it keeps on challenging my body.

The box that I am at is big on proper form to prevent injuries but injuries do happen as they do with weightlifting in a gym.

What I can say is that I've seen my flexibility improve massively. My motivation has gone up as well and what I love is community thing. If you are doing your workout, no-one leaves until everyone is done. The ones that are done cheer one the ones that are still busy. It's brilliant.

Oh and "leave your ego at the door" is a real thing. Even though it is a community, you do you and compete against yourself. The first time I had to do Olympic lifting I thought "How hard can this be?" till a woman half my age and a third my size snatched more than I did. No-one even noticed or cared.

• BrianKMcFalls
    BrianKMcFalls Posts: 190 Member
    The best workout for you... "The one you will do!"
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    vespiquenn wrote: »
    Typically the amount of reps are ridiculous and unnecessary, at least in my experience.
    Motorsheen wrote: »
    The only problem I have with CF is doing Olympic Lifts for time.

^^^
    These are a few on my biggest issues with CF. The volume was often crippling and unnecessary for the goal of strength or hypertrophy. Or too sporadic for certain movements. Pounding the same muscle groups day after day. I was also subjected to the "you barely know how to do Oly lifts but do this clean and jerk WOD for time."
    That and doing burpees for 15 min and THEN doing your bench press strength work. No thanks.

Kind of seemed like a lot of the 'regular' people I met who'd been doing it a few years hadn't made a ton of progress for strength/conditioning/or body comp.... *shrugs* YMMV
  • jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,216 Member
    Typically the amount of reps are ridiculous and unnecessary, at least in my experience.

^^^
    These are a few on my biggest issues with CF. The volume was often crippling and unnecessary for the goal of strength or hypertrophy. Or too sporadic for certain movements. Pounding the same muscle groups day after day. I was also subjected to the "you barely know how to do Oly lifts but do this clean and jerk WOD for time."
    That and doing burpees for 15 min and THEN doing your bench press strength work. No thanks.

Kind of seemed like a lot of the 'regular' people I met who'd been doing it a few years hadn't made a ton of progress for strength/conditioning/or body comp.... *shrugs* YMMV

My coworker has been doing CF for about a year. He's most definitely "fitter" now than he was but he actually shrank... which is funny because his stated goal when he started was he wanted to gain mass and get "big". I had pointed him in the direction of some good bodybuilding routines and gyms but he was sold on the idea of CF as the best way to achieve the "look" he wanted.

I do wonder how many of the super buff guys and gals doing CF actually achieved their mass doing traditional hypertrophy routines prior to CF and not because of CF.
  • MrsLannister
    MrsLannister Posts: 347 Member
    edited November 2017
    I started CrossFit at the beginning of September. It's costing me $120/mo and I'm still doing it, going three days a week, if that's any indication.

I'm in a lower level class, but it's still pretty intense. My coach is great, which makes a difference. I like the team atmosphere and the fact I have a coach there to watch my form.

I do have to say, I don't burn a lot of calories with CrossFit. My class is an hour long, which includes a strength or mobility portion at the beginning, a warm-up and a workout. The workout is generally ~8 - 15 minutes, but can go up to 20 minutes. I usually only burn around 350 calories during the full hour (per my hrm connected to UA Record). When I was doing Zumba I'd burn 750 - 800 calories in the same timeframe, but the twisting was hard on my knees and ankles.

(I'm currently 295 lbs, for calorie reference)

CrossFit has been great for my strength and mobility, as well as my confidence. It has not been great for weight loss. Prior to starting CrossFit I was steadily losing 1.5 - 2 pounds a week. Since starting CrossFit on September 6, I have lost 7 pounds total. This bugged me for a while, but I've realized I feel 1000x better and am losing inches.

I've lost a total of 115 pounds so far and the weight loss itself never made me feel better. If anything, I just felt more and more depressed as I lost weight. Getting stronger and fitter, on the other hand, has made a huge difference in how I feel both physically and mentally.

I have also started doing c25k on my in between days. I'm on week 5.
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    I did it for 3 months and enjoyed a lot of it, but I was just too competitive, I pushed myself too hard because it would really bother me to look at the results board if my performance was subpar. I ended up with back pain and other issues, took a break, and never went back.
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    jseams1234 wrote: »

^^^

My coworker has been doing CF for about a year. He's most definitely "fitter" now than he was but he actually shrank... which is funny because his stated goal when he started was he wanted to gain mass and get "big". I had pointed him in the direction of some good bodybuilding routines and gyms but he was sold on the idea of CF as the best way to achieve the "look" he wanted.

I do wonder how many of the super buff guys and gals doing CF actually achieved their mass doing traditional hypertrophy routines prior to CF and not because of CF.

I’ve wondered this as well. High level competitors are not just doing WODs.
    People can certainly get “more fit” and gain muscle/strength with CF. But it’s not optimal for any one of those goals, aside from ‘general fitness’. (Cue the “crossfit isn’t meant to build muscle or strength” comments lol.) I was just not impressed by the results of many who regularly attend classes. Even on the general fitness side.
    I walked in and could lift much heavier than any of the women at my box, and even many of the men. But I built that strength with specific programming, and felt my progress was suffering at CF.
    I checked out the “competitor schedule” during my stint, and that was actually more well rounded training than the WODs. Regularly doing bench press, OHP, etc. As well as bicep, tri, and shoulder accessories. I found it really difficult to try to do that work in addition to the WODs though. Most people only do WODs, which to me if more of a test of fitness than it is building muscle/strength/skills.
    Using CF when you have a goal to get stronger or build muscle is like choosing recomp over the bulk/cut method. Sure you’ll make some progress, but it will never compare to the progress you could’ve made with an appropriate method for your goals.
  • TrishSeren
    TrishSeren Posts: 587 Member
    Lean59man wrote: »
    Crossfit is like a cult.

My bf says that, except he says it's the most positive cult in the world. He's not a cross fitter but as a coach for athletes, he says it's been fantastic in terms of getting people up and moving again.
  • Fflpnari
    Fflpnari Posts: 975 Member
    Im a yes for crossfit. Ive had injuries from car wrecks (not crossfit) so I modify a lot. I don't run or do burpees I love the group atmisphere. I chose the gym I go to because I trust the coach, other gyms not so much. i pay $100 a month and go about 5 times a week, i paid 45 a month at 24hr and never went. So I figure its worth the price since i actually go
  • sllm1
    sllm1 Posts: 2,114 Member
    LOVE it.

I have been at it for more than two years and have drastically increased my fitness level as well as strength. My favorite part is the group aspect - I am much more motivated to do a workout when I am alongside others doing the same. I also enjoy the fact that I don't have to "figure out" what I want to do each day in the gym. It is programmed for me.

Any sport will have its share of injuries. A good warm-up (particularly for those of us who are "older"), good form, good coaching, and keeping the ego in check are all things that help us stay injury free.

Enjoy!