Whey Low Sugar, appropriate?

Options
Here is the nutrition info. Can this be used?

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Yes? Why would you think it can't? What are you planning to use it for?
  • cs2thecox
    cs2thecox Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Although it apparently has zero protein so I'm a bit confused about how it's whey...
  • crystal_hartmann
    crystal_hartmann Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I should clarify, only my second day here. Appropriate for keto. I forget this is not a straight up keto site.
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    Its just sugar. I thought that went against the keto mantra?
  • crystal_hartmann
    edited November 2017
    Options
    I don't have a "mantra". As stated, it's only my second day here, second day as well trying to understand keto. This only has 4 g carb compared to regular sugar of 33 g carb per tsp. It didn't seem like a ridiculous question to me considering that's a vast difference.
  • crystal_hartmann
    Options
    I used it to go in my smoothie this morning because I detest stevia. Perhaps I will try 1/2 tsp tomorrow and see where that gets me carb count wise. It's all new and very confusing, but I've gathered from reading that I should focus on 2 meals a day, which is great for my schedule. It's hard to imagine I'll use up the rest of the carb count in one meal, but, I've never counted carbs before either!
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    I should clarify, only my second day here. Appropriate for keto. I forget this is not a straight up keto site.

The first ingredient listed is sugar, so I'm thinking that's probably a "no".
  • ritzvin
    Options
    My guess: It looks like whatever that product is is just slightly diluted sugar. The ____ milk__ (photo cuts off part of the ingredient name) is probably a bulking ingredient to fluff up the sugar to give a low-calorie count per volume. Probably cheaper to just use less sugar (or pick up some splenda).
  • Mycophilia
    Mycophilia Posts: 1,225 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    So it's basically pure sugar but only 5 kcal per 4g(serving). If this is how nutrition labels in america are, no wonder people get confused.
  • crystal_hartmann
    Options
    All my sugar is in a canister but my powdered sugar is in a bag. The powdered had 33 g per tsp. I have no idea?
  • crystal_hartmann
    Options
    ritzvin wrote: »
    My guess: It looks like whatever that product is is just slightly diluted sugar. The ____ milk__ (photo cuts off part of the ingredient name) is probably a bulking ingredient to fluff up the sugar to give a low-calorie count per volume. Probably cheaper to just use less sugar (or pick up some splenda).

The product is made for diabetics, low glycemic.
  • crystal_hartmann
    Options
    Mycophilia wrote: »
    So it's basically pure sugar but only 5 kcal per 4g(serving). If this is how nutrition labels in america are, no wonder people get confused.

Kcal?
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    I don't have a "mantra". As stated, it's only my second day here, second day as well trying to understand keto. This only has 4 g carb compared to regular sugar of 33 g carb per tsp. It didn't seem like a ridiculous question to me considering that's a vast difference.

Didn't say it was your mantra. You say you are doing keto then you should be limiting your sugar to 5% of your calories. This product is all sugar (and not even sugar alcohols which would be more appropriate for keto) and no fat or protein which are the basis of keto.
  • crystal_hartmann
    Options
    thecharon wrote: »
    isn't the serving size for powdered sugar much larger than the serving size for regular sugar? I think a tsp is the serving for regular sugar. Powdered might be 1/4 of a cup.
    *Powdered sugar is just regular sugar put in a blender - it fluffs up, bulks up, looks bigger.

Yes, you are correct. Just looked at the total carb count and didn't check serving size on bag of powdered sugar as opposed to the Whey Low.

The Whey Low was purchased for my diabetic clients. I own a cottage bakery and needed a 1/1 ratio substitute and needed something that tasted as close to sugar as absolutely possible. It's a low glycemic product. I can tell you after tasting it today that it tastes exactly like sugar, we didn't get the same results in baking or making icing with other products so far. So this works for them.

As for me......I don't need much but need a little umph in things like a smoothie. My go to for sweetness was bananas but I haven't found a keto banana smoothie, I guess because you aren't suppose to have much fruit. Like I said, I detest stevia and I'm allergic or have bad reaction to things like aspartame :/
  • Mycophilia
    Mycophilia Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    Mycophilia wrote: »

Kcal?

Kilocalorie
  • ritzvin
    Options
    2nd ingredient is I'm guessing lactose monohydrate (note that quite a few people have digestive issues with lactose). Fructose and lactose are both sugars (like sucrose aka table sugar). Sweetness per gram and bulk density amongst these may potentially vary though.