Worst Christmas gifts

Options

Replies

• WickedPineapple
    WickedPineapple Posts: 701 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    For the last 2 years straight I have received nothing. Not from my kids, not from my estranged husband, and not from my family. I wish I could say that it didn't bother me and that I was beyond too old to gleefully look forward to Christmas. I painstakingly plan my Christmas list each year, thoughtfully picking out the perfect gift for each person from my parents to my nieces and nephews. Wrapping each gift with incredible detail. And each of the last several years I have been so painfully disappointed that I didn't even get a card or a drawing by the kids. Last year was the worst as my mother and aunts all were laughing when my mother said, "OMG I forgot Kepple again this year" after they had gifted my cousin some of my grandmother's most treasured pieces of jewelry (nothing particularly valuable just things that she liked most.)

This year I have decided to skip family holidays. Thanksgiving was incredibly pleasant all by myself for the most part. I am looking forward to enjoying Christmas in my own way this year. No drama, no hurt feelings, no ungrateful and thoughtless people.

I'm so sorry! I know what you mean about ideally being satisfied with nothing. But not receiving any gifts is one thing if you've said you don't want anything, people don't have $$, everyone agreed not to buy for each other, etc. This is different. It's like you're being purposefully excluded and there's no way that's not hurtful. I totally agree with avoiding it altogether, especially if it's hurting you.

I just can't imagine having a Christmas party where there's someone that doesn't get a gift. My parents are known to take in "strays" on holidays (people who don't have anywhere else to celebrate). I've had several friends attend and my parents always made sure to get each of them a gift, even if they're total strangers.
  • finny11122
    finny11122 Posts: 8,436 Member
    Options
    Socks and jocks that would not fit a starving biafran ,
  • 81Katz
    81Katz Posts: 7,074 Member
    Options
    Most recent horrible (if not worst!) A hideous sweater at least 2 sizes to big. A really ugly scarf that was literally the size of a table cloth and it's really itchy. I gave the sweater to Goodwill and the scarf is in the back of the car for an emergency blanket.
  • klkarlen
    klkarlen Posts: 4,366 Member
    Options
    This is one time when I wish MFP had a dislike button!
    For a secret Santa last year at work, i got a paintbrush, limit was $25.00.

I seem to have the knack of getting the worst gifts in our holiday grab bag myself. One year it was a pump lotion or soap dispenser made from a canning jar. Our limit at work is $15.00.
  • slessofme
    slessofme Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    The white elephant in my office is more a true white elephant - everyone brings the crap they absolutely don't want anymore. Two years ago I received "swag" from a previous iteration of the company. License plate wraps (that are illegal), some folding sunglasses, metals from a long past sponsored marathon. I'll be gifting the lot to someone else this year.

My parents used to routinely buy me things I didn't want and weren't my taste. My mom thinks I should look "cute", when my goal is "covered". They have now asked for lists in this format (which I think is great):

Something you want,
    Something you need,
    Something to wear,
    And something to read.
  • dc8066
    dc8066 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options

My mother is in the same category. She's known me my entire life, but refuses to put any actual thought into gifts she purchases for me, but puts somewhat reasonable thought into gifts for both my husband and my son, which leads me to believe (yet again) that she likes them more than me (which is par for course in regards to our relationship). She likes to buy a lot of "three wolf moon" *kitten* that she thinks I'll like.. or really terrible knick knacks like a flute that doesn't work, a fertility statue (when I don't want more children and don't particularly always like the one child I do have), weird key chains from places she visits or my favorite: An entire box of her old, slightly used lingerie.. none of which would have fit because I've always been "big" and she used to be quite petite when she was younger.

I cannot describe just how "ick" that is. :s [/quote]

Unless she was demented at the time you were given her used underwear as a Christmas gift, I'd assume that it was an intentional insult

• allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options

My very first work Christmas as a brand new lowly grunt employee, never knew what a "Chinese gift exchange" (or whatever its called), was the very first number to draw, the very first person to pick a package under the tree, with a $20 limit which was expensive for me, and I picked...wait for it...

A small bottle of mickey mouse bubblebath for kids.

(Turns out it came from one of the senior executives.)
  • allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    klkarlen wrote: »
    This is one time when I wish MFP had a dislike button!

I seem to have the knack of getting the worst gifts in our holiday grab bag myself. One year it was a pump lotion or soap dispenser made from a canning jar. Our limit at work is $15.00.

I took to using my precious Gift Exchange money on something I needed that didn't have and then would picked my own gift. One year, I bought myself a hand saw. Which no one wanted of course and I still have it to this day. (Why, I used that just 2 days ago lol)
  • DISCIPLINEEQUALSFREEDOM
    Options

My very first work Christmas as a brand new lowly grunt employee, never knew what a "Chinese gift exchange" (or whatever its called), was the very first number to draw, the very first person to pick a package under the tree, with a $20 limit which was expensive for me, and I picked...wait for it...

A small bottle of mickey mouse bubblebath for kids.

(Turns out it came from one of the senior executives.)

Bubble bath ? WTF that’s cheap lol
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,526 Member
    Options
    A USED rice cooker that the plug kept falling out of. From my frugal aunt.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • KosmosKitten
    KosmosKitten Posts: 10,476 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    dc8066 wrote: »

Unless she was demented at the time you were given her used underwear as a Christmas gift, I'd assume that it was an intentional insult

It quite possibly could be. She's always been pretty petty toward me ever since I was young. I mean, this is the woman who called me a "lazy fatass" who would never amount to anything because my chosen profession is art and I tend to like a lot of less feminine, more nerdy things.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    This year I have decided to skip family holidays. Thanksgiving was incredibly pleasant all by myself for the most part. I am looking forward to enjoying Christmas in my own way this year. No drama, no hurt feelings, no ungrateful and thoughtless people.

My husband, daughter and myself stopped attending family holiday gatherings a number of years ago because people didn't reciprocate or appreciate our efforts. It was a big relief to just spend the holidays doing what we wanted.