Runners, how do you stay hydrated?

Options
I am new to running again and I am going to attempt to conquer this Couch to 5K. While running I am always so thirsty. Last Spring I completed a 5K. I felt like I was the only one running with a bottled water in my hand. I recently purchased a hydration pack and I love it. However I get tired of having it on my back after about 10 minutes.

Any suggestions?

Replies

• WickedPineapple
    WickedPineapple Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    How is your hydration prior to running?
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I don't think you really need to drink during a 5k. Drink before and after. If you just want to wet your whistle, bring a small flask made for runners. Lots of choices at the sports store (belts, hand held, etc.).
  • MichelleWithMoxie
    MichelleWithMoxie Posts: 1,819 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    For a 5k you definitely shouldn’t need any hydration mid run. You may not be hydrating enough throughout the day as a whole. I can run 12-15 miles without hydrating mid run, but I drink a crap-ton of H20 throughout the day outside of my runs.
  • Tracieisfitastic
    Tracieisfitastic Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the responses. I don’t drink a lot of water. I mostly drink protein shakes but I am definitely going to try to drink more water.

• reginakarl
    reginakarl Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Be sure to properly hydrate the day and night before a race. The day of, don't over do it, however.
  • VioletRojo
    VioletRojo Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    I don't carry hydration for anything less than 10-11 miles, but I do make it a point to stay hydrated all day long.
  • Tracieisfitastic
    Tracieisfitastic Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Ok, I will keep that in mind.
  • WickedPineapple
    WickedPineapple Posts: 701 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    chante_04 wrote: »
    Thanks for the responses. I don’t drink a lot of water. I mostly drink protein shakes but I am definitely going to try to drink more water.

Yes, definitely increase your water intake in general outside of your actual runs. You can track that on here along with food. This will be of greater importance the longer your runs get. I aim for pale yellow pee and drink ~16 oz about an hour before running. I usually don't drink anything unless I'm running for an hour or more (unless it's a really hot day).

Edit - An hour of running for me is 5-5.5 miles.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    Are you thirsty, or is your mouth dry? For the latter, try running with gum in your mouth.
  • Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member
    Options
    MichSmish wrote: »
    For a 5k you definitely shouldn’t need any hydration mid run. You may not be hydrating enough throughout the day as a whole. I can run 12-15 miles without hydrating mid run, but I drink a crap-ton of H20 throughout the day outside of my runs.

Yup, I've never hydrated during a run less than 18 miles, but I drink a gallon of water a day on average.
  • Philtex
    Philtex Posts: 871 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    I'm a bottle runner. I have always run with a plastic sport bottle filled with Gatorade (G2/ low calorie actually) no matter the distance - 5K on up to half marathon. Sometimes I too feel like the only one out there with a bottle, but I'm not. Sure you can run 5K+ without drinking anything, but why not have it in case you do want a sip? I enjoy my run and if carrying a drink is what I want to do I do it.

Chante - welcome to running and good luck with C25K - you can do it!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    chante_04 wrote: »
    I am new to running again and I am going to attempt to conquer this Couch to 5K. While running I am always so thirsty. Last Spring I completed a 5K. I felt like I was the only one running with a bottled water in my hand. I recently purchased a hydration pack and I love it. However I get tired of having it on my back after about 10 minutes.

Any suggestions?

Unless you live somewhere really hot you shouldn't need to drink during a 5k. Are you well hydrated the rest of the time?
  • becky10rp
    becky10rp Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    I wear a flipbelt - to put my phone/keys in. Flipbelt sells special water bottles that hook onto the belt - so you don't have to hold them. Might want to check this out.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    I have a hydration pack for longer runs, I find that having it fit properly makes a difference. If you haven't already done this, put the pack on, then tighten all the straps, and see if that makes a difference in fit.

Since you are getting back into running, I would also suggest that you give it time. I used to have water with me for shorter runs when I got back into it, now I only need it for the longer stuff. Your body is adjusting to the new activity, and as your endurance increases, you'll probably find that you don't need to hydrate as often during a run.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    MichSmish wrote: »

Yup, I've never hydrated during a run less than 18 miles, but I drink a gallon of water a day on average.

That is well below the hydration guidelines. You should be drinking something every 10 to 20 minutes, even in the winter. In the summer it is even more important. People have died from not drinking enough water while exercising.

Do you have clear evidence of this? Only from what I understand there are NO recorded deaths due to dehydration during running. Of all the symptoms of dehydration, the very last one is death, and even that would take several DAYS to occur. Drink to thirst, not on any schedule and you'll be fine.

OP. hydrate well before your run, and you'll find you don't need water. Most runners don't feel they need fluid up to an hour or so of running, depending on the climate.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    I don't usually drink water during my 5K runs, especially not during races at that distance. I drink a lot of water before hand--I prefer to run at 3 pm in the afternoon so I'm usually 64 oz in by that time. Even if I run first thing in the morning I try to have at least 16 oz before I go to bed and then another 16 oz before I run.

I do notice that if my lips dry out it makes me feel thirsty--I make sure to slather on some heavy duty lip balm before my runs.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,130 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    I take a water bottle with me out on most runs (only able to run around 3km), I am fairly new to running (been on and off C25K since May/June) I drink 3 litres of water a day most days and still feel thirsty when running. If you do still feel thirsty nothing wrong with being the one person carrying a water bottle, don't worry about what everyone else is doing, you do you!
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    OP is new to running. // OP is not trained or conditioned to run longer distances.
    kgeyser wrote: »
    I have a hydration pack for longer runs, I find that having it fit properly makes a difference. If you haven't already done this, put the pack on, then tighten all the straps, and see if that makes a difference in fit.

Since you are getting back into running, I would also suggest that you give it time. I used to have water with me for shorter runs when I got back into it, now I only need it for the longer stuff. Your body is adjusting to the new activity, and as your endurance increases, you'll probably find that you don't need to hydrate as often during a run.

@chante_04 As stated above ^^ by @jjpptt2 and @kgeyser you are new to running and your body is not conditioned so will need time to adjust to the new stress's placed on it.
    Hydration/de-hydration is one of those stress's. As you progress your body will adapt and you will find that you can go longer distances with less water. Maybe try using a small bottle for a run or put a smaller amount of water in the hydration pak. If at the end of a run you have drank 16 oz why carry 40 oz in the pak? I know some runners do loops past their house or car and make a quick stop for hydration or clothing adjustments if they are to warm/cold. I think the car in a park is better - if I stop at home I tend to call it a day. Hydration Pak fit is critical - I went through 3 paks before I found one that fit me and just felt like a part of me.

There is a C25K group on MFP that is very supportive of each other.