too young to be healthy???

Options
bry_all01
bry_all01 Posts: 3,100 Member
Is there really such a thing???

Let's backtrack a little to last night. I had just gotten done with strength training and ran to Kroger to grab some more bottled water, wheat bread, etc. I am minding my own business, getting the items I need when I hear this lady telling her kid she cannot get the lowfat kind. She is too young for that..... uh, really?!?

This little girl, maybe 7 years old had wanted the reduced fat, lowfat, fat-free, etc., crackers and snacks and her mom said that she was too young. Her exact words were something along the lines of "you are too young. You are just a kid. Be a kid." But the kid whined and said, "but, I WANT it, mommy."

I'm sorry, but if my kids are asking for the fat-free, lowfat, sugar-free, they are getting it. Just my opinion. Anyone else think that was strange, or was it just me?

Replies

• farmers_daughter
    farmers_daughter Posts: 1,632 Member
    Options
    It was either a lame excuse to not buy it or ....yeah a lame excuse. If it gets brought into our house, we all eat it.
  • 46and2
    46and2 Posts: 167
    Options
    Age old question of nature vs. nurture just answered for that little girl.
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    I think it's a weird reply for sure because kids should be taught healthy eating habits so they become lifelong habits. However, I don't think that lowfat/sugar-free, etc, are healthy choices because generally other stuff is put in to replace the sugar,etc. I think moderation is really what needs to be taught and learned. In my opinion, the real stuff is better than the altered stuff - in moderation and correct portion size.
  • Dtrmnd86
    Dtrmnd86 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Wow, I would never tell my kids no about healthy foods. They always ask for fresh fruit and yogurt and they always get it. Best time to instill healthy eating is when they are younger.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    My kid would absolutely NOT be getting it at age 7 as I don't think the chemical or sugar substitutes added to low-fat or reduced fat are healthy - particularly not for children. Unless a child has a problem with obesity and is advised to do so by a doctor I would absolutely not purchase such things for my child.

Sugar free, on the other hand, we already aim for.
  • YukonJoy
    YukonJoy Posts: 1,279 Member
    Options
    It sounds weird at face value for sure. But maybe there was something you weren't seeing?

Could be the little girl already has some serious body image issues and her mom is trying to steer her away from that? Who knows.
  • bry_all01
    Options
    It was either a lame excuse to not buy it or ....yeah a lame excuse. If it gets brought into our house, we all eat it.

no, wait, the mom DID purchase several of the regular crackers and snacks, just not the low-fat, reduced-fat, no sugar kind.....
  • ak_in_ak
    ak_in_ak Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    This makes me wounder why she wants it though? it almost seems like the start of an ED.

The other thing is low-fat and sugar free are often worse for you becasue they put extra stuff in to make up for the stuff they took out. I wouldn't want my kids eating that crap anyways. I would agree if the subject is dairy though. It depends on what she was asking for really.
  • nicbic123
    nicbic123 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    yes definitely strange....there are so many obese kids due to the ignorance of people like that!! sure kids should have a little of the unhealthy stuff as should we all from time to time....all in moderation eh?
  • odusgolp
    Options
    I dont think it's too young to be 'healthy- but the onus at that age is/should be on the parents. Personal philosophy: if they are running and playing most of the day, feed them healthy meals and let them snack on whateve crap they want, so long as tis not excessive.

If a 7 year old is concerned about that kind of thing that you described, I am sensing a huge red flag over body image issues. As a gambling man, I'd bet heavy that by the time puberty hits, that kid is going to have developed an eating disorder. It's def. not normal for a 7yo to be obsessing over fat content. IMO.

Indeed. A 7yo that has an interest in cutting fat has learned that from somewhere... and it's not cool, in my opinion.
  • YukonJoy
    YukonJoy Posts: 1,279 Member
    Options
    I dont think it's too young to be 'healthy- but the onus at that age is/should be on the parents. Personal philosophy: if they are running and playing most of the day, feed them healthy meals and let them snack on whateve crap they want, so long as tis not excessive.

If a 7 year old is concerned about that kind of thing that you described, I am sensing a huge red flag over body image issues. As a gambling man, I'd bet heavy that by the time puberty hits, that kid is going to have developed an eating disorder. It's def. not normal for a 7yo to be obsessing over fat content. IMO.

Exactly! I totally agree.
  • asudheimer
    asudheimer Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    The mother might not be worried about the eating healthy thing as much as she is worried about her daughter obsessing about weight and developing a negativy body image in her head. There are better wats that she should be educating her than just saying you're too young to eat healthy, but I think the undertones may have been different than perceived maybe.
  • bry_all01
    Options
    Wow, I would never tell my kids no about healthy foods. They always ask for fresh fruit and yogurt and they always get it. Best time to instill healthy eating is when they are younger.

fortunately, my kids, too like yogurt and fresh fruits and vegetables. :smile:
  • phinners
    phinners Posts: 524 Member
    Options

no, wait, the mom DID purchase several of the regular crackers and snacks, just not the low-fat, reduced-fat, no sugar kind.....
    Was there a difference price? Could the low fat etc ones have been a fair but more expensive than the regular sort? I find this is the case a lot when I'm out shopping.
  • imgonnadoit123
    imgonnadoit123 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I actually agree with the mother in this case. At such a young age there is no food specifically created to be low fat. Was the kid overweight in your opinion? Even so usually it's just baby fat that can go naturally by just having the kid be active.
  • NKF92879
    NKF92879 Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    My kid would absolutely NOT be getting it at age 7 as I don't think the chemical or sugar substitutes added to low-fat or reduced fat are healthy - particularly not for children. Unless a child has a problem with obesity and is advised to do so by a doctor I would absolutely not purchase such things for my child.

Sugar free, on the other hand, we already aim for.

Agreed (although I don't have kids). "Low-fat" doesn't necessarily mean healthy. Who knows? Maybe the mother read the label & didn't like the ingredients. Also, we all know that just because something is labeled as "low-fat" doesn't mean it really is. I don't aim for sugar free, but I do aim for no sugar added.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Children need fat. I don't believe that non-fat automatically equals healthy either. I read that hte only thing low-fat you should bother with is dairy products anyway or of course things naturally low fat. My kids get whole wheat breast, pasta, veggies, fruit, limited sweets BUT they get full fat cheese!
  • odusgolp
    Options
    I think a lot of this comes down to what the parent defines as "healthy"

I don't define something labeled fat free to necessarily be healthy. In fact, probably opposite. I'm more likely to buy normal ol' butter and sour cream than a reduced fat variety, I just watch how much is eaten.

But, I'm lucky, my kid is a fiend for fruit, veggies, etc.

We don't eat ding dongs and twinkies. We don't eat fat-free. It's really your definition of "healthy"
  • bry_all01
    Options

Indeed. A 7yo that has an interest in cutting fat has learned that from somewhere... and it's not cool, in my opinion.

I guess I was thinking more along the lines of the kid just liked the way certain things tasted and not that she felt like she looked fat, but then again, I can't read minds, so could be she thought she was a whale. It was just not my initial thought...
  • phinners
    phinners Posts: 524 Member
    Options

I also agree.