Calling into Work "Too Fat for Pants"

Options
I've gotten to the point where not even my fat-pants fit as far as business casual goes. I've had to resort to two pair of nice jeans that fit. Today and tomorrow we have some big-deal execs coming through and were told to make sure we were dressed appropriately. Also, I was supposed to be at an exhibit to talk about one of our programs.
I couldn't do it... My dress pants wouldn't button. Also, I was anxious that the shirt they would provide me for the exhibit would be too small... So I called in sick.
I feel totally guilty now about everything: calling in, letting down teammates, but most of all for being so fat.
Has anyone else been here? I've got to keep from getting MORE depressed and buying a milkshake to make myself feel better. It's a terrible cycle...
Eric

Replies

• juliegilburd
    juliegilburd Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Also, I agree with this post:
    Jingsi84 wrote: »
    I'm sorry that you are having a bad day but screw work. If calling in sick is what you needed today try not to feel guilty about it. I'm sure that you are important there but that they will also be fine without you. And you are sick, sick with anxiety. It doesn't matter what was causing your anxiety. Call it a mental health day and keep in mind that your mind's well being is just as important as your body's.

• KeepRunningFatboy
    KeepRunningFatboy Posts: 3,055 Member
    Options
    I’ve been there, just about my entire adult life.
  • MoonriverDreamer
    MoonriverDreamer Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Hope you didn't drink the milkshake . . . sounds like you have an important job and nothing will strike a blow to your self-esteem like compromising it. This time caught you off-guard. But I hope you used the time to find at least one good suit and a couple of shirts that you can wear when called upon to make a presentation. I know funds are tight for everyone right now, but make this a priority. If you live in a large town there are lots of quality used clothing stores. I can't afford business attire these days (retired and no need for it). A lot of times you can find something quality on e-Bay. Just be careful about the sizes -- If I needed nice business wear, I could find plenty of things that are maybe 10 years old in classic lines and colors. If you prefer a certain brand, you can check by brand. And when my sister buys work clothes for her husband, she shops at a nice store, finds what she wants, waits for the sale and makes sure it's still there -- then when it reaches what she considers the bottom price, she will go in for the kill!! Nothing thrills her more than getting quality for a bargain.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    moelman13 wrote: »
    Thank you all for your replies. No milkshake here, or anywhere in the near future. It's on!

Kudos! You've taken the first steps :smile: Now you just have to stay the course.
  • sksk1026
    sksk1026 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    moelman13 wrote: »
    Thank you all for your replies. No milkshake here, or anywhere in the near future. It's on!

You can do this! Take it one step at a time.
  • carterbrent
    carterbrent Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    good for you!
  • Ohwhynot
    Ohwhynot Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    You got this! We all struggle sometimes!
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    I worked with someone who quit because they had to lose weight. It wasn't a joke either.
  • mrw0915
    mrw0915 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I am glad you posted this...and I am happy to see most related to your anxiety and supported you. This is a good place to start.