August Century plus cycling challenge

Options

Replies

• gwynh
    gwynh Posts: 160
    Options
    Hopefully I get my knees back this month, so I'll be working running back into my workouts. Just over 450 last month... I think maybe 250 this month should do it.

hehe that statement sounds funny. Did you loan you knees to a friend? Did the bank take them back for a bad loan? :laugh:
  • nerdieprofessor
    nerdieprofessor Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    14 miles tonight. And my first fall! Is there a technical term for stopping faster than you can unclip? Other than "DOH!!"

That's known as a fallover (rather than a real crash). It happens now and then to everyone who uses clipless pedals. If it makes you feel better, my husband and I, while riding away from our wedding reception on our tandem, had a fallover in front of a zillion guests. Our bike and triathlon friends were laughing their heads off and our other friends and family were horrified and thought we'd killed ourselves. We hit the ground laughing. You know you are going over once it starts, of course, and you can't stop it, and the best thing to do is leave your hands safely on the handle bars and ride the fall to the ground. At worst, you'll get a bruised hip. If you stick out an arm, you will break a wrist or perhaps a collarbone, so never ever do that no matter how much your brain says to. :o)

TD, we are praying for your Dad. *HUG*

8/1 - 20 miles
    8/2 - 20 miles (it's already 95 at 10am when I finish my ride, we are going to roast today at 112... I've NEVER see 112 before!)
  • TeteDeLaCourse
    Options
    Good information there, Octo! I did stick out my hand to break my fall. Didn't break anything but my wrist is a bit sore today. Glad I was wearing gloves though. I went down to my right and my left leg has a bruise in the shape of my top tube...LOL. It looks weird.
  • solpwr
    solpwr Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    14 miles tonight. And my first fall! Is there a technical term for stopping faster than you can unclip? Other than "DOH!!"

Haha tipping over. Were there people around to make fun of you? That's when it always happens to me. ;)
  • SarahRuth♥
    SarahRuth♥ Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    Took the *long way* home from work today, for an additional 19.9 miles added to my ticker. :)

See, typically I ride about 2.5 miles west on a road, then I turn north onto the bike trail for a couple miles, then I turn off the bike trail and head 2 more miles west.

Today when I got to the bike trail, I turned south instead and rode for 3 miles. Then I had to get back... and travel the 2 miles or so I typically ride north to get back on track. Then when I got to the part on the trail where I normally turn off to head west... I just kept going north for another 3 miles! Then, of course, I had to head back south in order to get back on track and finish the last couple miles home. I needed that ride, though. It was wonderful!!! I haven't done a long ride like that in a while.
  • SarahRuth♥
    SarahRuth♥ Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    Short ride this morning; only 9 miles. 44 for the month. Have to head to the hospital two hours away where my dad has been hospitalized, after he went into shock from hemorrhaging last night. They will try to determine the cause today. This will probably effect my riding schedule for the month...

Sorry about your dad. Hope everything is alright.
  • TDSeest
    TDSeest Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    Road 9 more miles tonight; total of 53 miles for August. Keep on riding...

Dad is stable, but still losing blood. They are running tests now to determine the cause; should know more later in the week.
  • CDGolden
    CDGolden Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Another 31 mile commute.....62 miles for the month so far.

Chris
  • jraps17
    jraps17 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Im in for august, i dont think it can get hotter than July...

100 miles

I lied it just got hotter i rode yesterday broke a record heat index upwards of 110, i decided to push my self and rode a couple of miles further and uphill, it felt great.

exercise.png

BikeonBikeBoss-1.jpg
  • nerdieprofessor
    Options
    Good information there, Octo! I did stick out my hand to break my fall. Didn't break anything but my wrist is a bit sore today. Glad I was wearing gloves though. I went down to my right and my left leg has a bruise in the shape of my top tube...LOL. It looks weird.

Always keep your hands on the handle bars. You have to think about it and do it intentionally, but you'll be glad you did.
  • thcri
    thcri Posts: 459 Member
    Options

Always keep your hands on the handle bars. You have to think about it and do it intentionally, but you'll be glad you did.

Yep I take it in the shoulders trying to protect the bike. Why I don't know.
  • nerdieprofessor
    Options

Yep I take it in the shoulders trying to protect the bike. Why I don't know.

You are not protecting the bike, you want to protect your wrists and collarbone! Hands on handlebars, feet on pedals. :o)
  • TDSeest
    Options
    Road 17 miles tonight; 70 miles for the month. Suppose to be more cool the rest of the week, so that will help.
  • Panda_Jack
    Panda_Jack Posts: 829 Member
    Options
    08/01-14.24 miles
    08/03-42.25 miles
  • TDSeest
    Options
    Road 20 miles this morning; 91 miles for the month, thanks to the miracles of rounding. Much cooler today; hoping to ride another 15 or so tonight.
  • thcri
    thcri Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    August 3rd 37.12 miles
  • prichards
    Options
    goal: 500
    8/4 29.34
  • Bretto
    Bretto Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I am in for 200 miles.

Leslie
  • ronda_gettinghealthy
    ronda_gettinghealthy Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I am in......going to try for 200....
  • solpwr
    solpwr Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I've had a good start. 38.8 road miles 8/3, 550 mountain bike climbing feet 8/4, 38.8 road miles 8/5.