TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    YOLO145 wrote: »
    yup i picked up on that :)

And yet you felt the need to reply to my post... :huh:
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    I dunno. Let me know if you figure it out.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    I thank you all so much for your insights and support!

I went to an acupuncturist today who is also a doctor. She recommended intermittent fasting, water fasting, and the Cellular Healing diet which is basically a Keto diet and to get rid of all the “red light foods” like @roxiedawn reminded me. @TavistockToad I felt addicted to sweets like ice cream, candy, desserts, anything chocolate, bread. Anything with sugar.

I am going to follow this new approach because I am desperate to feel different. I will let the community know how it goes!

I would not assume nutritional/dietary advice coming from an acupuncturist to be valid advice. At the very least, do some research on your own before deciding if any of those things are worth trying.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    I thank you all so much for your insights and support!

I went to an acupuncturist today who is also a doctor. She recommended intermittent fasting, water fasting, and the Cellular Healing diet which is basically a Keto diet and to get rid of all the “red light foods” like @roxiedawn reminded me. @TavistockToad I felt addicted to sweets like ice cream, candy, desserts, anything chocolate, bread. Anything with sugar.

I am going to follow this new approach because I am desperate to feel different. I will let the community know how it goes!

I think you misunderstood some things..

that said I saw your post about the acupuncturist and the details on what that appointment did for you, there is a lot of mind over matter and with you being desperate to get out of this binging/emotional eating cycle you are willing to try just about anything.

Just know that Cellular Healing diet (basically keto/LCHF) is just a diet strategy, it has no healing powers or special magic.
  • YOLO145
    YOLO145 Posts: 98 Member
    Options

Relax @TavistockToad it wasn't until after your reply to my reply is when I realized what clarification you were looking for...
  • TavistockToad
    Options

Relax @TavistockToad it wasn't until after your reply to my reply is when I realized what clarification you were looking for...

Don't worry, I don't expect an apology for your rudeness, this is MFP after all.
  • theyoginurse
    theyoginurse Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    @TavistockToad @jjpptt2 @RoxieDawn you are all right. I am absolutely desperate and looking anywhere for an answer. Thanks for opening my eyes. I won’t seek a nutrition miracle from an acupuncturist. Probably will save me a good amount of money too. I know it has to come from deep within me. I guess right now in my life, I am just weak in this air of discipline with food. I was encouraged to read a book on discipline, and that is what I plan to do. I know it’s all in my head. I do think my body responds poorly to particularly foods like desserts. I can’t stop with one bite. Just looking for a way to be balanced like I once was. Thanks again for your support. I feel helpless in this area and just looking for something that clicks.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I have sweet cravings every single night after dinner, having dessert was a stupid habit i wish i never started!

Last night i felt like ANOTHER bowl of ice cream, i was sitting there arguing with myself for an eternity. I then got up and looked at this stubborn belly i'm trying to lose, and the determination to lose it (not add on to it) over rode my craving. I then went to bed :lol:

I also hate, hate, hate waking up the next morning deeply regretting the unnecessary splurge of the night before!
  • meghanmowry
    meghanmowry Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Tonight I was having the same issue so I made a protein shake with chocolate almond milk. Helped a lot. Last night I had gum right after dinner and the night before had coffee with cream and a 1/2 tsp of sugar, then brushed my teeth. It all helps to take the edge off while better habits develop.
  • theyoginurse
    Options
    @COGypsy yes, you’re right. I appreciate your honesty and insight. I have been to therapy who suggested I change my work environment (because it is highly toxic and stressful) and join a community such as MFP and Overeaters Anonymous to gain support from peers. I also tried an antidepressant that helps binge eating which did not work well (made me have a flat affect). I have not been able to change my work environment yet, but will be leaving in a few months once I have enough money saved to be able to take some time off and seek a job in another state where the cost of living is lower than NYC. I do not by any means believe fasting nor a holistic doctor could heal me. But I do believe in trying different approaches until something clicks.

I relate to Overeaters Anonymous that binge eating is an obsession of the mind which is relieved by the compulsion (an allergy of the body) to overeat. It’s been a challenge to relate the spiritual part of that program to my own journey. I do plan to read more on discipline as well. Thank you again for your help!
  • theyoginurse
    Options
    I also want to add that I appreciate any concern, I do. I'm not just looking to follow some holistic guru, or trend, or workout. I was legitimately asking for the experience of others on such a topic as cravings to indeed get all the facts and to be better informed. I have known some individuals who have tried various methods such as acupuncture, fasting, and hypnotherapy for weight loss, health and spiritual reasons. When fasting is done properly, people say they come out of it in a much better mental and physical state of being than before. So my posts on here aren’t necessarily be "desperate" or get a diagnosis or sound ridiculous. I am sincerely just asking around for others experiences and thoughts on these subjects. By no means do I want to hurt myself in anyway, which is why I am trying to find a solution to help me feel better and live a healthier life. Thank you again and have a good evening!
  • amyepdx
    amyepdx Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    We’re weighing in because we have been watching you jump from one random idea to the next so that’s where I think the “desperate” comment came from. The question I’ve been wanting to ask you is (and I have been refraining until reading today’s post about water fasts) - have you actually spent 2 weeks planning, weighing, logging and maintaining a reasonable 1 lb a week deficit to see what would result?
  • davidylin
    davidylin Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Cravings were how I got into a bad situation in the first place. My truth is that I realized that I cannot depend on my desires and feelings to tell me how much and what to eat. There's more than a few things out of whack there in my personal health.

I focus more on desiring the food I plan to eat. I spend a little time thinking about it throughout the day and it ends up being fairly satisfying when I try to enjoy the experience.
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    @TavistockToad @jjpptt2 @RoxieDawn you are all right. I am absolutely desperate and looking anywhere for an answer. Thanks for opening my eyes. I won’t seek a nutrition miracle from an acupuncturist. Probably will save me a good amount of money too. I know it has to come from deep within me. I guess right now in my life, I am just weak in this air of discipline with food. I was encouraged to read a book on discipline, and that is what I plan to do. I know it’s all in my head. I do think my body responds poorly to particularly foods like desserts. I can’t stop with one bite. Just looking for a way to be balanced like I once was. Thanks again for your support. I feel helpless in this area and just looking for something that clicks.

What are you so desperate about? Take a step back and relax a little.

If food doesn't agree with you then by all means cut it out. Not everyone can do moderation very well.