Options
2»

Replies

• Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    chispaza wrote: »
    anyWendy wrote: »
    Thank you all! I had originally planned to wait until I'm a little closer to goal weight to start on a real free weight lifting program (sw 225 cw 201 gw 165, 5'8"), but I am feeling like I'm ready to jump in now.

Will get Starting Strength - have seen lots of recommendations for it.

Strong Lifts is another one you might look at. It's simple and there's an app you can get and just follow what it tells you to do.

Stronglifts is suboptimal compared to Starting Strength for a novice lifter who wants to get strong ASAP whole holding form.

Five sets of five is unnecessary higher volume and will stall earlier than three sets of five. Twenty five reps is more appropriate for a intermediate.
  • chispaza
    chispaza Posts: 153 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    Thank you all! I had originally planned to wait until I'm a little closer to goal weight to start on a real free weight lifting program (sw 225 cw 201 gw 165, 5'8"), but I am feeling like I'm ready to jump in now.

Strong Lifts is another one you might look at. It's simple and there's an app you can get and just follow what it tells you to do.

Stronglifts is suboptimal compared to Starting Strength for a novice lifter who wants to get strong ASAP whole holding form.

Five sets of five is unnecessary higher volume and will stall earlier than three sets of five. Twenty five reps is more appropriate for a intermediate.

I started Strong Lifts as a novice lifter and it has worked well for me. I do work hard to keep good form and I don't always increase the weight every time if I feel like form is suffering, I'll keep weight the same until I can do that weight with good form. And I did just change my squats to 3x5 instead of 5x5 as it's just too much for me right now to do 5x5 on those as the weight increased. I am planning on working back up to 5x5 on them soon. Just wanted to give OP another option for a beginner program.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options

TBH, I was dead set on doing Stronglifts (just starting out) until I remembered I purchased a digital copy of starting strength. Just followed the instructions on "how to squat" and lo and behold I squatted. I am very much a beginner (in fact, I ditched the notion of lifting back in March because I was a bit overwhelmed by it and intimidated to go to the gym, still being quite a bit overweight).

I stuck with running, which I am glad I did because I have also achieved some great success running--but it's clear I need to work on retaining and gaining some lean muscle mass from a near 100lb weight loss. I'll still do running, but lifting will make me a better runner and get my body looking more like I want it to look like. I'm roughly 10lbs from maintenance and am very tired of eating in a deficit (even at losing .5lbs per week). I feel like a steady beginner lifting program complimented by *some* running is where I want to be at the moment.

And the gym doesn't scare me any more.

OP--sorry I derailed your thread--but it helped me have my "aha" moment I needed to find and work toward my next fitness goal.
  • Lean59man
    Lean59man Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    Squatting is pretty natural.

healthy-pee-or-urinate-squatting-posture-for-male_07.jpg
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    What if one struggles with getting "low enough." Is that a form issue or a keep working at it issue?

It can be a weight/strength issue. Can you get to parallel at body weight, bar only, whatever is a lighter weight for you and just have trouble when going up? If so, it could be just keep working on it. You need to increase strength perhaps with more intermediate weights.
  • shor0814
    shor0814 Posts: 559 Member
    Options

Arguments about SS vs SL aside, the Starting Strength book is invaluable and extremely detailed. Even if you use SL, get the Starting Strength book and read cover to cover.

The other thing to consider is that Rippetoe is a known quantity, the other guy, not so much.
  • ijsantos2005
    ijsantos2005 Posts: 306 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    The StrongLifts app has settings that allow you to switch the rep scheme to 3x5, so there’s that.

But I would recommend Starting Strength as well do to reasons posted above.
  • anyWendy
    anyWendy Posts: 97 Member
    Options

OP--sorry I derailed your thread--but it helped me have my "aha" moment I needed to find and work toward my next fitness goal.

Totally not necessary! I'm enjoying the additional questions and comments that have come off of my original question! Glad it was helpful for you, too!
  • anyWendy
    Options
    lporter229 wrote: »
    Slightly off topic but related question. My gym has a few barbells with fixed weights instead of plates. I think they range from 30- 100+ pounds. Does anyone know what I am talking about? Does the indicated weight include the weight of the bar? If not, how would I know how to account for the bar? Like OP, I am very new to barbells. My trainer just had me squat with this the other day and I assumed the 30 pound barbell she gave me was 30 lbs total.

Another question:
    Any reason not to start by squatting with these "long dumbells"?

I get that at higher weights, the rack is needed to safely get in and out of position, but if I'm starting at low weights to practice form, any reason not to use these? (I ask more because of availability. Racks are more often in use. )
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    lporter229 wrote: »
    Slightly off topic but related question. My gym has a few barbells with fixed weights instead of plates. I think they range from 30- 100+ pounds. Does anyone know what I am talking about? Does the indicated weight include the weight of the bar? If not, how would I know how to account for the bar? Like OP, I am very new to barbells. My trainer just had me squat with this the other day and I assumed the 30 pound barbell she gave me was 30 lbs total.

Another question:

I get that at higher weights, the rack is needed to safely get in and out of position, but if I'm starting at low weights to practice form, any reason not to use these? (I ask more because of availability. Racks are more often in use. )

If you can sit it comfortably on your back and get your hands placed correctly then it's perfectly fine.
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,216 Member
    Options

Another question:

I don’t think there would be an issue with that. I’ve not personally used those to squat but I don’t see why they couldn’t be used as a progression tool. Though, they’re not as wide as a normal bar, there’d be another adjustment with the balance difference once you do go up to the full size bar.

Re: squat depth
    This is something I constantly have to keep myself in check on, which I attribute to poor ankle mobility. The more you squat correctly the more you understand what being “in the hole” at the correct depth feels like. Starting Strengh is the gold standard as far as form guides go, there are plenty of other guides and videos published about form out there too; nuances to lifts click for different people in different ways. Do some research, take some videos and don’t be afraid to ask others (here or IRL) for form checks. R/fitness has a pretty good cache of info and a knowledgeable user base as well. I relied upon the bodybuilding.com video database quite a bit to see standard videos of what different movements are and what options there are for variations with different equipment, similar movements, etc.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    Lean59man wrote: »
    Squatting is pretty natural.

healthy-pee-or-urinate-squatting-posture-for-male_07.jpg

hellish buttwink though :D
  • canadianlbs
    Options
    if I'm starting at low weights to practice form, any reason not to use these?

only reasons i can think of are

a) you're basically doing a behind-the-neck press to get it into position and remove it again when you're done. not everyone's shoulder anatomy works well with that. if you think that could be a problem for you, then let your shoulder strength be the limiting factor just to be safe.

and b) ymmv but i personally find it's just hard to get quite as tight with a 'dynamic' setup. i.e. when i'm moving the bar, compared with when i'm not.

you could try using a broomstick for bodyweight warmup and practice, if either of those things feel to you like a concern.

• robhunt25
    robhunt25 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    It all comes down to form. If your form is bad then nothing else will matter. You may not be able to squat right period due to movement deficiencies. Having a functional movement screening done will help identify and show how to correct those deficiencies.

Next step. Figure out what your 1 rep max is. Then determine the sets and reps of a percentage of that one rep max based off of your goals and what you want to accomplish. Let me know if I can help.
  • evilpoptart63
    evilpoptart63 Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Based on internet memes, I think squat rack is where you are supposed to do curls
  • ijsantos2005
    ijsantos2005 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Based on internet memes, I think squat rack is where you are supposed to do curls

Yeah, I hate it when I see people squat in the curl rack.
  • canadianlbs
    Options
    Yeah, I hate it when I see people squat in the curl rack.

. . . . but what if you forgot your curling iron at home?

#girljoke

• anyWendy
    Options
    Update: I finished the squats chapter of Starting Strength, and have been practicing form with bodyweight squats this week (10 x 5 per day).

Today I progressed to using the 30lb "long dumbbell." Won't do that again. Could easily overhead press to get in position, but after my set, it was much harder to safely get out of position. Old shoulder injury and limited shoulder flexibility definitely made this worse. Found myself wishing I could just step forward to re-rack the weight.

Next time, I'll move up to the empty bar, in the rack. This makes me absurdly excited!

Thank you all for giving me the confidence to give this a try!