Planet Fitness

Options
124»

Replies

• tomwatso
    tomwatso Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options
    Just finished my workout at the Planet Fitness here in NC. Nothing to complain about. Really good price.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    I know someone who switched from Blink Fitness, another no-frills gym, to Planet Fitness. PF is cheaper and more convenient, she said. I've been inside one branch briefly, and it looked clean and well-maintained.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    ..so nobody's pulled the lunk alarm on me yet, even when I do grunt. :)

I assume you're not ridiculously histrionic and don't throw your weights halfway across the room. No doubt that's the behavior they're getting at. It does become tiresome.
  • heygina
    Options
    This topic is making me go get my membership tomorrow in Ann Arbor!!! I am so excited to join. My husband and I are going to join together with this $10/$20.00 deal!! I am going to do the 20.00 deal for tanning and I think he will want to do the 10.00 plan. Still not bad though. I went to a gym in Chelsea that was 111.00 for two people!!!!!!!!! It was SO expensive!!!!!

If you go to PF then you will only have to get one $20 membership, as you can bring a guest.
  • heygina
    Options
    THANK YOU SO MUCH EVERYBODY!

I went with a work friend at lunch and we both signed up. I will upgrade to the Black plan if Hubs decides he wants to use it so we can both go to the one by our house, and I can go to the one by my work. It was nice, clean, not crowded AT ALL. I hope I can do the upgrade, because the massage chairs and the infra red thingy look tempting. Also, I might want to tan, but I've only done it a couple times in my life.

They do have classes, and a trainer (she seems super busy, she already called us and said she was going to be out at another location the day we wanted our fitness design consult).

Doing an ab class tomorrow :)

thank you everyone!!!!!!
  • dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    I've got a Planet Fitness about half a mile from my apartment. I have a 24 hour fitness about a quarter mile from my apartment. I belong to both. I like the cardio equipment better at Planet fitness. (They have more televisions, and channels.) I like the weights better at 24 hour fitness.

My youngest son plays football, so I will probably keep my Planet fitness membership to keep him in shape during the off season. My employer is paying for my 24 hour fitness membership. It works for me.
  • eapatterson
    eapatterson Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I go to the Planet Fitness in Southgate, MI and I love it...There is never a wait for ANYTHING, they have so many machines and things to do. Great place, very clean, non-threatening. And cheap.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    The premise of having a 'Lunk Alarm' in a 'judgement free zone' boggles my mind.

I am not in the US however, so I can't give any opinion on PF. All I know is I would never go to one, as they would kick me out on my first set of deadlifts.
  • wewereborn2run
    wewereborn2run Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I honestly love it there. The staff is super helpful and the equipment is top notch. Also everything is clean clean clean...
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I'm a member and I like it.

I know one of the biggest criticisms on this website of PF is their lack of free weights, though I think that may vary some by location. Also, PF marketed itself as being a 'critic-free zone' (that might not be the exact phrase, but something like that) but seriously, those are just commercials aimed at people who may have never joined, say, a Gold's Gym because they felt shy and/or intimidated. I think people take their marketing schemes a little too personally.

I'm in a fairly large city but that means heavy traffic most places I'd want to go. I have 2 gyms within about 5 minutes of my house - Planet Fitness for $10/month or the YMCA for $55/month. One day, maybe, I will be able to afford the Y but until then, I'm staying with PF. I do my strength training with a combination of dumbbells (the heaviest ones I can manage) and certain weight machines. While I understand this may not be the ULTIMATE IDEAL OF WEIGHT LIFTING that is talked about on MFP, I can't pass up PFs price or convenience at this time, and what I am doing is better than nothing.

There are plenty of people I see there all the time who appear to have very little body fat and obvious muscle definition, so I assume one can make the most of what they have to offer at PF.
    In my google searching, I would say the biggest criticisms are around BILLING and what not.
    Has anyone here joined, used and then easily QUIT Planet fitness? The web is full of negative reviews of PF, mostly around payment, handling of billing, cancelation etc.
    thanks!
  • serenity216
    serenity216 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    I am a black card member also and I love it. They will meet with you for free and develop a workout plan for you. I also love that if you want to be left alone they will do that too. I joined the gym for the circuit training so I could continue to recover from runners knee injury. I love it. The staff are great, the equipment is great and I enjoy utilizing the red light therapy and massage chairs.
  • Maciuuu
    Maciuuu Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I go to PF Mooresville for over a year now. I always grunt when i try to improve my 1 max rep on deadlift or bench press, never had a complain or a lunk alarm. Smith machines works just fine for squats or deadlifts as free weights. Is a very good service for the money i pay. I like it.