BCAAs?

Options
my sister has the powder and says it really helps with her muscle recovery. but then im being told by other people that i dont need to buy it.
thoughts??
i have started the gym and im trying to loose weight aswell as tone up

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    I'd focus more on getting sufficient protein (0.8g per lb of body weight) from food - bcaas wouldn't be necessary if you achieve this.

Losing weight (and looking more toned as your muscles are revealed from losing fat) comes.from being in a calorie deficit consistently
  • cs2thecox
    cs2thecox Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Unless you work out fasted there is very little benefit to them as long as you get adequate protein in your total diet.

Not something I'd spend my money on.
    https://examine.com/supplements/branched-chain-amino-acids/

This.
    Since I stopped training first thing in the morning, I've stopped using them and not noticed any problems.

(I did find them helpful when I was doing bonkers amounts of HIIT and weights before breakfast, but I wouldn't really recommend that as an approach either! :D )
  • rdl81
    rdl81 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    It would say depends on your training method I would say so volume and session intensity and rest of diet. Like posters above I would say make sure your getting enough protein first, money MAY be better spent on a protein powder to help with this.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    If you eat enough protien from animal sources you will be fine.

Even some top protien shakes are missing or have low levels of leucine which is needed for muscle synthesis.

BCAA's are arguably unnecessary otherwise.
  • KarenSmith2018
    KarenSmith2018 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I used to take them - they tasted nice in my drink but since reading some research I didn't bother ordering more and I haven't noticed a difference in my recovery or ability to train successfully fasted. To me: not needed
  • Inspirationalwaterjug
    Options
    For the most part your run of the mill athlete won't need them
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28982725
  • cgvet37
    cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    I supplement with BCAA's and find them beneficial. Will they be beneficial for you, I can't answer that.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    cgvet37 wrote: »
    I supplement with BCAA's and find them beneficial. Will they be beneficial for you, I can't answer that.
    The research would not agree with you. In what way do you find them beneficial?

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10594549/new-research-on-bcaas-dont-waste-your-money/p1
  • mmapags
    Options
    Unless you work out fasted there is very little benefit to them as long as you get adequate protein in your total diet.

Even if you work out fasted, there is very little benefit. See thread in above post.
  • Sp1tfire
    Sp1tfire Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    They effect everyone differently. A lot of it is the placebo affect. I freely admit that but I still use them because I feel that it helps me. If you really want to try it, try and get your hands on a weeks worth of sample sizes before buying a big tub to see if it even does anything for ya.
  • Lean59man
    Lean59man Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    BCAAs are more nonsense from the supplement sellers to take your money.

Pure BS.

Never discount the power of a placebo.
  • mmapags
    Options
    Lean59man wrote: »
    BCAAs are more nonsense from the supplement sellers to take your money.

Pure BS.

Never discount the power of a placebo.

QFT!
  • mmapags
    Options
    katadx wrote: »
    They effect everyone differently. A lot of it is the placebo affect. I freely admit that but I still use them because I feel that it helps me. If you really want to try it, try and get your hands on a weeks worth of sample sizes before buying a big tub to see if it even does anything for ya.

If you read the research, what do they do to help you? And what would it do for someone? Please back up your position with scientific data.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,977 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    my sister has the powder and says it really helps with her muscle recovery. but then im being told by other people that i dont need to buy it.
    thoughts??
    i have started the gym and im trying to loose weight aswell as tone up

"Borrow" some from your sister and see if you notice any benefit.

If you do, buy some for youself and return what you "borrowed" to your sister.

If not, forget about it.
  • Inspirationalwaterjug
    Options
    That my friend is called confirmation bias. If they feel like they work for you go ahead. Placebo effect or otherwise. They're also delicious.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    mmapags wrote: »

Even if you work out fasted, there is very little benefit. See thread in above post.

Where does it say that they have no benefit fasted?

Genuine question as I know your advice is solid.

I only read that protein powder could be more beneficial than bcaa if protein in the diet is lacking.