NOT Diet Related

Options
ChubbyBunny
ChubbyBunny Posts: 3,523 Member
I am desperate!
I am putting on a pasta and dessert bar fundraiser at my school.
However, since I am working with other teachers I have hit a snag.....
They want ALL the desserts to be miniatures!!!! AHHHH! I don't even have any successful single serving desserts! PLUS, I currently have no idea how many I will be serving.

So, I am BEGGING....
If any of you have small dessert type recipes, THAT YOU'VE tried and NOT necesarily healthy, that taste amazing! Could you PLEASE share your recipes with me?

***Side note... the mini idea isn't mine... I was thiking of doing elegant gorgeous desserts in restuarant size (smallish) portions. I seem to have been outvoted though. :grumble:

Replies

• ChubbyBunny
    Options
    I am desperate!
    I am putting on a pasta and dessert bar fundraiser at my school.
    However, since I am working with other teachers I have hit a snag.....
    They want ALL the desserts to be miniatures!!!! AHHHH! I don't even have any successful single serving desserts! PLUS, I currently have no idea how many I will be serving.

So, I am BEGGING....
    If any of you have small dessert type recipes, THAT YOU'VE tried and NOT necesarily healthy, that taste amazing! Could you PLEASE share your recipes with me?

***Side note... the mini idea isn't mine... I was thiking of doing elegant gorgeous desserts in restuarant size (smallish) portions. I seem to have been outvoted though. :grumble:
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options
    How about fudge cut in small pieces? :smile:
  • keiko
    keiko Posts: 2,919 Member
    Options
    MINI CHEESECAKES

Use foil liners.

12 vanilla wafers
    2 (8 oz.) pkgs. cream cheese, softened
    1/2 c. sugar
    1 tsp. vanilla
    2 eggs

Place one vanilla wafer in each liner. Mix: vanilla, cream cheese, and sugar on medium until well blended. Add eggs and mix well. Pour over wafers filling 3/4 full. Bake 25 minutes at 325 degrees. Top with one of the following: spoonful of pie filling, fresh fruit, shaved chocolate. Be creative!

This is one of my favorites. You can easily make lots by just multilpying the recipe. and you can make them up a day or two before.
  • MattySparky
    Options
    mini cookies which are easy to make, nanaimo bars, fudge, peanut butter cups (home made) etc etc etc... the list is endless.
  • Lettuce13
    Options
    you can make mini cheesecakes.

use a mini muffin pan with liners

place a Nilla wafer for the crust in the bottom of each liner

fill with cheese cake filling (the instant kind so that you don't have to cook them!)

top with fruit preserves or chocolate shavings or whatever.

when chilled pop them out of the mini muffin tins & voila! dessert
  • jrmckee
    Options
    Thought you might like this idea because you can make the servings any size you want:
    Ingredients:
    Cream Cheese
    Marshmallow Cream
    Strawberries
    Blueberries
    or any fruit that you would dip into the cream cheese mixture
    mix cream cheese and marshmallow cream set aside
    then in your individual servings layer blueberries, cream cheese mixture, then strawberries
    Hope this helps
  • heather0mc
    heather0mc Posts: 4,656 Member
    Options
    you could have mini cookies and mini cupcakes. mini rice crispy treats. mini banana pudding cups with one nilla wafer in it. pretzels dipped in chocolate. fruit.

hmmm. what a weird idea - mini stuff. sounds harder than it needs to be. i bet people will take more than one of everything too.
  • Mom_To_5
    Mom_To_5 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    another idea forthe mini cheesecakes is to use oreo cookies, my daughter made them and they were yummy!!
  • Jelybe
    Jelybe Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Brownies are easy to cut small - as are rice krispie treats - there are mini muffin/cupcake pans that are perfect, also chocolate dipped stawberries or pretzels
  • nicolet04
    Options
    take a boxed cake mix, instead of the oil, use melted butter, instead of the egg use only the egg whites, add a tsp of vanilla and bake like normal. cut into small pieces and top with whipped cream and fresh berries!!!! soooo good!!!

you could make brownies, top with a little cocoa and toffee pieces, then cut into small pieces and top with a small scoop of ice cream.

1 cup karo syrup bring to a small boil, add 1 cup sugar bring to a small boil, add 1 cup peanut butter, bring to a small boil....take off heat and add 1/2 box of corn flakes, pour into a cake pan, let cool. when cooled cut into pieces.( dont let it boil too long or it will burn)

i hope this helps!!! good luck!!
  • ChubbyBunny
    Options
    you could have mini cookies and mini cupcakes. mini rice crispy treats. mini banana pudding cups with one nilla wafer in it. pretzels dipped in chocolate. fruit.

hmmm. what a weird idea - mini stuff. sounds harder than it needs to be. i bet people will take more than one of everything too.

EXACTLY!
    When I think minis I think more then one... which is fine if I don't run out.... but is a disaster if I do!
    It is a TON more work then whipping up 3 cheesecakes, 2 Tiramisu cakes, a cookie plate assortment (for filler)....

Also, since I am doing it with the French club they want it "fancy"... cause I am loving the ideas but they would kill me if I brought out rice crispy treats!

I was meditating on triffles....done in small clear cups.

*** Also, I only have 3 kids in the kitchen to "work" and technically only one of them isn't a walking disaster... So, most of it will be done on my own time! I also only have 2 weeks to get it all together.
    Not to mention, she hasn't told me what other "food related" things are my duty.
  • pamelaeilf
    Options
    I was just at target picking up a cupcake pan, they had a mini-bar pan. Make your favorite bar cookies individual servings.

If you like to bake, I took my favorite cream puff recipe and made mini versions. I used a bag to pipe the dough from. They were about the size of a half dollar. Used the same process to fill them with a mixture of SF pudding/dream whip (makes a mousse type mixture). I use gallon ziplock bags to pipe with, no messy clean up. Fill, snip a corner and use.

If you make a sugar free dessert, label it so. I cannot have sugar because of my RNY surgery, and I appreciate going to functions like this that have something sugar free.
  • keiko
    keiko Posts: 2,919 Member
    Options
    Bake cake in a sheet pan instead of 9x13 or rounds. It will be thinner so it will bake faster. After it's cooled you can cut into small pieces and make a chocolate gnache. Put the little cut cakes onto a cooling rack and pour the cooled gnache over them. Maybe purchase some small candies for a decoration.

Any bar recipe could be cut into smaller pieces. Pecan pie bars, lemon bars.
  • menjivas
    menjivas Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    someone else just posted something about small peanut chocolate cups that uses splenda. It looks good. You might want to look it up
  • Juliebean_1027
    Juliebean_1027 Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    I'm breaking family rules and posting a secret recipe here... But it's really, really good, and it serves a lot. Not necessarily a mini, but something that gets cuts into smaller pieces.

***** Apple Pie 63 *****

Pre-heat oven to 375.

Pie Crust:

Sift together: 3 cups flour, ¼ cup sugar, 1 ½ teaspoons salt.

Add: ½ cup butter (1 stick… it works much, much better when the butter is softened or room temperature, but NOT when melted)

Blend together ¼ cup oil, 1 egg, ¼ cup cold, cold water.

*Stir mixture together until it holds together. It’s easiest to use your hands for this part. Form into a square on a cookie sheet. (I cover the cookie sheet with foil because it’s much easier to clean!)

Apple Filling:

Peel and slice 6 cups of apples (I use the smaller apples you get in a bag, usually about 1 bag is 6-8 cups.)

Add: 1 cup sugar and 1/3 cup flour. Combine apples with this mixture in a bowl and make sure apples are well coated.

(You can add a teaspoon of lemon juice to preserve the color and keep the apples from browning if you’re doing this part ahead of time…)

*Place apples on pie crust. Make sure all pie crust is covered – the apples will shrink when they bake, so if it looks like there’s any space left open, cover it with another apple slice!

Cream Cheese Topping:

Beat together: 1 package of cream cheese, 1 egg, 1/3 cup sugar.

*Alternate stripes over the apple filling. This works best with thinner stripes.

Caramel Topping:

Melt 28-32 lite caramels (1 bag) with ½ cup evaporated milk. (This part takes FOREVER so I usually start this first, and have someone stir it over low heat while you make the rest of the ingredients.)

*Alternate stripes over the apple filling, filling in between the cream cheese topping.

Top with crushed walnuts. (optional)

Baked at 375 for 30-35 minutes, or until cream cheese topping is a golden brown. (Most times I’ve noticed it takes closer to 40-45 minutes, but I start out at around 30.)

***This recipe takes a while to make but it's something that can be made a day ahead of time (sometimes 2 if I'm in a time-crunch) and it still tastes great!***
  • Juliebean_1027
    Options
    Mini-Tiramisu Cups

6 oz. cream cheese or mascarpone cheese
    1/3 cup confectioners' sugar
    2 tbsp. unsweetened cocoa powder
    2 tbsp. milk
    1 tsp. vanilla extract* (see note)
    4 large phyllo cups *(See How to Make Phyllo Cups below), at room temperature
    1/2 cup frozen non-dairy whipped topping, thawed
    3/4 cup mixed berries (optional)
    1/4 cup semisweet chocolate shavings or chocolate curls

Instructions:
    In a medium bowl, with an electric mixer at medium speed, beat the cream cheese (or mascarpone cheese, if using), confectioners' sugar, cocoa powder, milk and vanilla; with a rubber spatula, fold in the whipped topping. Refrigerate, covered, at least 1 hour.

Fill the phyllo cups with the cocoa mixture; top with the berries (if using) and sprinkle with the chocolate shavings or chocolate curls.

Rather than dirty your pastry bag, snip a small hole in the corner of a plastic food storage bag and fit with a tip before spooning in the filling. If you don't have a tip, don't worry, you can still pipe the mixture from the hole.

Makes 4 servings.

*Note: If desired, you can substitute the vanilla extract with a little bit of brandy or rum flavoring to give these little goodies an extra bite.

How To Make Phyllo Cups

Note: You will need one package of store-bought frozen phyllo sheets, thawed.

Comments:
    These versatile cups can be made ahead of time and filled with sweet fillings. They are made in muffin tins and can be made in any size depending upon what you use.

1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (160 C). Layer 4 sheets of phyllo dough, brushing each layer with melted butter or oil. To prepare cups for the chocolate mousse filling, sprinkle each layer with granulated or confectioner's sugar after brushing with butter or oil.

2. Cut squares with scissors from the phyllo for various muffin pan sizes: (3-1/2 inch squares for mini cups; 5-1/2 inch for standard cups; 8-inch squares for jumbo cups. Spray the muffin tins with vegetable oil spray.

3. Press the layered phyllo squares gently but firmly against the bottoms and sides of the muffin cups.

4. Bake the empty shells until they are crisp and golden about 7 to 10 minutes. Remove them from the oven and let them cool completely before filling. The empty cups can also be frozen. The cups can be prepared and baked 2 to 3 days in advance and stored in a covered airtight container.

5. Avoid filling them until just before serving. Moist contents will cause the phyllo to become soggy.
  • nicolet04
    Options
    ok 1 more.... oreo truffles...

1 pkg of oreos....put in a blender or food proccessor until fine crumbs. pour into a bowl and add 1 pkg (8oz) of cream cheese(room temp) mix together until completely mixed.(it will look kinda like fudge brownie mix.) roll into 1 inch balls. melt semi sweet chocolate, dip balls into the chocolate, then put on wax paper. melt white chocolate and drizzle over the top. refridgerate 1 hour. they r soooo good and so easy and always a hit!!!
  • Winter23
    Winter23 Posts: 142
    Options
    mini cookies which are easy to make, nanaimo bars, fudge, peanut butter cups (home made) etc etc etc... the list is endless.

You must be from Canada, I was waiting for someone to say what are Nanaimo bars? haha!! Nanaimo bars are perfect for large groups. And could be fancied up with whipped cream and choclate shavings
  • heather0mc
    heather0mc Posts: 4,656 Member
    Options

EXACTLY!
    When I think minis I think more then one... which is fine if I don't run out.... but is a disaster if I do!
    It is a TON more work then whipping up 3 cheesecakes, 2 Tiramisu cakes, a cookie plate assortment (for filler)....

Also, since I am doing it with the French club they want it "fancy"... cause I am loving the ideas but they would kill me if I brought out rice crispy treats!

I was meditating on triffles....done in small clear cups.

*** Also, I only have 3 kids in the kitchen to "work" and technically only one of them isn't a walking disaster... So, most of it will be done on my own time! I also only have 2 weeks to get it all together.
    Not to mention, she hasn't told me what other "food related" things are my duty.

lol about the rice crispies!

there are a lot of great ideas on here already. i dont envy you for the position you are in but it looks like you'll be ok. just be careful not to sample while you are baking! sometimes it helps to be the chef - you get so tired of working and slaving the last thing you want is to eat any of it! in theory anyways.

nocolet04 has some GREAT ideas! wow! talent guys! i can barely follow the instructions on the box :noway:
  • Juliebean_1027
    Options
    Strawberry Croissants

1 container bake and serve croissants
    1 tub light strawberry cream cheese
    4 graham crackers, crushed
    2 cups strawberries, sliced

Remove croissant dough from tube, but do not unroll it. Cut croissants into 18 pieces. Place on cookie sheet. Follow baking instruction on the croissant package. (Forgive me, I'm doing this recipe from memory...) When croissants are cooled spread cream cheese over them. Sprinkle with strawberries and graham cracker crumbs.

**You can use the honey and nut cream cheese and that's really good with cashews, and crushed kit kat bars. The possibilities are endless with this one!**