Green tea diet

Options

Replies

• MichelleSilverleaf
    MichelleSilverleaf Posts: 2,028 Member
    Options
    mph323 wrote: »
    Ive read about how good it is to drink 3-4 cups of green tea a day for weight loss. i was planning to try it for a month or 2. i failed, i forgot to bring it with me. Although i did try it for 2-3 days and my weight did actually go down quickly. but for those 2-3 days i also wasnt eating very much at all, besides alot of watermelon. whats your views of this diet type thing?

My view is that everything about this post is disturbing. You eat very little for a few days and lose weight (shocking!) and then you want to give credit to green tea (??).

Calories. It's all about calories. Not tea. Calories.

well, ive eating just fruits for days and it did impact my weight a little. i never claimed to try this for science. purely of my own fascination ffs

Why are you messing with your body this way? Eating nothing but fruit for days? Why? What is it that you are trying to accomplish?

My cousin is doing a 30 day challenge of nothing but raw fruit. It sounds like such a colossal mistake but she's bought into the belief that this is somehow better for her.

Oh my. Aside from all the nutritional deficiencies, just think of the intestinal issues...

She was diagnosed with celiac and has been attempting to find a way of eating that doesn't agitate it. She has had progress with veganism, which is great for her, but the raw food/raw fruit thing...I don't know. This is her third time doing it this year that I know of.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    How old are you Op?

Did we get an answer to this yet?

With you talking about going between your Mum and Dads house and the way you communicate I don't want to really comment without knowing.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    mph323 wrote: »
    Ive read about how good it is to drink 3-4 cups of green tea a day for weight loss. i was planning to try it for a month or 2. i failed, i forgot to bring it with me. Although i did try it for 2-3 days and my weight did actually go down quickly. but for those 2-3 days i also wasnt eating very much at all, besides alot of watermelon. whats your views of this diet type thing?

My view is that everything about this post is disturbing. You eat very little for a few days and lose weight (shocking!) and then you want to give credit to green tea (??).

well, ive eating just fruits for days and it did impact my weight a little. i never claimed to try this for science. purely of my own fascination ffs

Why are you messing with your body this way? Eating nothing but fruit for days? Why? What is it that you are trying to accomplish?

My cousin is doing a 30 day challenge of nothing but raw fruit. It sounds like such a colossal mistake but she's bought into the belief that this is somehow better for her.

Oh my. Aside from all the nutritional deficiencies, just think of the intestinal issues...

She was diagnosed with celiac and has been attempting to find a way of eating that doesn't agitate it. She has had progress with veganism, which is great for her, but the raw food/raw fruit thing...I don't know. This is her third time doing it this year that I know of.

You might direct her to the celiac.com site. It's where my Dr. sent me for information when I was first diagnosed. I really recommend it.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    OP sounds like she's about 16...tops...
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    OP sounds like she's about 16...tops...

I share that concern :/
  • FaithGonzalesss
    FaithGonzalesss Posts: 39 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    I apologize if i may seem immature in this discussion
  • LiveLoveFitFab
    LiveLoveFitFab Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I drink green tea because I like it without sugar or milk, so it's calorie free and a nice beverage. It also doesn't give me the jitters like coffee does, but it still perks me up.

Pre-workout I drink a strong cup of Yerba Mate. I think the Yerba Mate has more weight loss benefits. One of which being it makes me super hyper and ready for a workout.

As for my own personal green tea study, I use 100 tea bags every two weeks on average. So I drink a lot of it. I don't think even at that level it is speeding up my weight loss in any way I can see.

It has given me a delightful stain on my tooth though. So if you plan on drinking it to excess, be prepared - the stuff stains your teeth really badly.
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,344 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options

i like the theory of changing my own body. I have piercings and tattoos and all but i like the modification of my body. i can gain weight in places i wanna gain weight, lose weight wherever i want to lose weight. I don't mean in the way of being small- too small. ive always been at a healthier weight. my diet changes often besides the vegan part, thats constant. And i also just love some fruits, hasnt done anything worrying to my body.

yet......hasn't done anything worrying to your body yet.....that you know about. By the time it becomes obvious you're in bigger trouble than you think. For instance by the time it takes you to figure out something like you don't get enough protein and it does take some time, you will already have lost and continue to lose hair and that can take years to correct. and I am saying this from experience, I am in the process of growing my hair back I didn't get enough protein, iron, vitamin B and Vitamin D.......and I am not even vegan! My hormones went out of whack from lack of proper nutrients so I now have hormonal acne, hairloss and brittle nails. Don't play around with your health it's just not worth it. Bottom line to lose weight have a calorie deficit, to stay healthy make sure you are getting all of the vitamins and minerals you need and hit your macros.......everything else is BS and a waste of your time. For a visual my ponytail is no thicker than a dime. Oh and one last thing, you cannot choose where you lose weight, you can't add or subtract fat from certain parts of your body....nobody can but a good surgeon. The most you can do is tone an area which doesn't get rid of the fat but tones the muscle underneath. If I could do that I'd have the boobs and butt I want and a tiny little waist.
  • Grimmerick
    Options

i like the theory of changing my own body. I have piercings and tattoos and all but i like the modification of my body. i can gain weight in places i wanna gain weight, lose weight wherever i want to lose weight. I don't mean in the way of being small- too small. ive always been at a healthier weight. my diet changes often besides the vegan part, thats constant. And i also just love some fruits, hasnt done anything worrying to my body.

yet......hasn't done anything worrying to your body yet.....that you know about. By the time it becomes obvious you're in bigger trouble than you think. For instance by the time it takes you to figure out something like you don't get enough protein and it does take some time, you will already have lost and continue to lose hair and that can take years to correct. and I am saying this from experience, I am in the process of growing my hair back I didn't get enough protein, iron, vitamin B and Vitamin D.......and I am not even vegan! My hormones went out of whack from lack of proper nutrients so I now have hormonal acne, hairloss and brittle nails. Don't play around with your health it's just not worth it. Bottom line to lose weight have a calorie deficit, to stay healthy make sure you are getting all of the vitamins and minerals you need and hit your macros.......everything else is BS and a waste of your time. For a visual my ponytail is no thicker than a dime. Oh and one last thing, you cannot choose where you lose weight, you can't add or subtract fat from certain parts of your body....nobody can but a good surgeon. The most you can do is tone an area which doesn't get rid of the fat but tones the muscle underneath. If I could do that I'd have the boobs and butt I want and a tiny little waist.

Exactly. 10th year of styles that hide.....

Bless your heart, I feel your pain!! I take iron, zinc, Vitamin B, Vitamin D, Calcium, I make sure I get lots of protein, I don't wash my hair everyday, I use Nioxin shampoo and It's a Ten Keratin shampoo, I alternate. a few times a week I put 9 drops of peppermint oil and 2 tsp coconut oil mixed together, on my scalp and sleep in a little headwrap (NIH did a study on this and it is as effective if not slightly more than monoxidil). I got a wet brush if I have to brush my hair when it's wet. Finally starting to grow back hair and my nails are nice and hard, plus I still have hormonal acne but not nearly as bad.
  • FaithGonzalesss
    Options

i actually have been experiencing hair loss. Not to an extreme but i definitely notice a difference. This started before i became vegan and i do take daily vitamins. im just hoping my hair is "shedding".
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,392 MFP Moderator
    Options

i actually have been experiencing hair loss. Not to an extreme but i definitely notice a difference. This started before i became vegan and i do take daily vitamins. im just hoping my hair is "shedding".

Do an experiment. Go with a moderate deficit, and aim to get .8 to 1g of protein and .35 to .6g of fat per lb of weight and see if it helps it.
  • Grimmerick
    Options

Don't forget protein, very important for hair, skin and nails and being a Vegan you really gotta watch that. At one point I was getting less than 30 grams a day because I wasn't paying attention.
  • FaithGonzalesss
    Options

Don't forget protein, very important for hair, skin and nails and being a Vegan you really gotta watch that. At one point I was getting less than 30 grams a day because I wasn't paying attention.

When should i notice a difference if protein deficeincy is the problem?
  • Grimmerick
    edited December 2017
    Options

From what I have read you will start to notice small baby hairs growing straight up and you will see less shedding, I'd give yourself a few months, hair grows at a snails pace, you could take pics too for comparison. Think of it this way though, either way you should be getting plenty of protein so it will be beneficial either way. You can also get bloodwork done to find out if you're low on any nutrients, just let them know that's what you want it for.
  • Grimmerick
    edited December 2017
    Options

From what I have read you will start to notice small baby hairs growing straight up and you will see less shedding, I'd give yourself a few months, hair grows at a snails pace, you could take pics too for comparison. Think of it this way though, either way you should be getting plenty of protein so it will be beneficial either way. You can also get bloodwork done to find out if you're low on any nutrients, just let them know that's what you want it for.

Also you need fats for hair.....make sure you are eating good fats for certain vitamin uptake. ...low fat/no fat diets kill hair....

oh yes you are right that is important. Also so many people take vitamins but don't A)make sure the vitamins are good quality and will absorb well(for example zinc oxide which a lot of zinc is made from is very wishy washy with absorption and Vitamin b12 made with cyanocobalamin is cheap and not very good compared to one made with methylcobalamin) and B ) make sure they take them for maximum absorption i.e. on an empty/full stomach or not with other vitamins that compete for absorption like Iron and Calcium.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    My wife has Fibromyalgia and went from nearly bed ridden to 95% better in 3 years. I bring this up because we went from plenty of meat and potatoes to more of a WFPB diet. We still eat poultry once a week and seafood once a week and occasionally organic eggs. We also don't do dairy or gluten. We've learned a lot about being Vegan, though we are not. In many ways, it's just as tough because we don't do the gluten (a staple of a lot of vegans). Green Beans are an amazing source of Silica. Silica is incredibly important for hair/nails. Green Beans are the most digestible source, even frozen ones.

Like Emmy mentioned, you do also want to take a really good quality B Complex (we prefer Methyl Bs, like the methylcobalamin she mentioned). Another good source of silica is cucumbers and bananas but it's not as readily absorbed as it is in green beans. We also make sure we take a good Vegan Omega. Very important. Zinc is also (like Emmy mentioned too) very important if you're not going to eat eggs. Chlorella/Spirulina is a good source of B-12 that is vegan. Spinach/Kale, leafy greens are great sources of Folate. Still think it's best to take a full spectrum methyl B complex.

I think protein's a bit overrated by some (I'm a regionally competitive masters athlete in rowing). I train very, very hard (around 10 plus hours a week) and I don't supplement all that much with Vegan protein. If you eat plenty of lentils, beans, greens, quinoa and broccoli, you get quite a bit of protein from plants. We also eat quite a bit of nuts. I use some Sunwarrior as well around 2 or 3 times a week. We're not anti fat either. We eat nut fats, some limited fish oils and Coconut Oil and Olive Oil. I'm 190 lbs and less than 20% BF (and I'm only 5'10", so I'm not tall). I have no problem keeping on muscle.

My wife's hair and nails have never been stronger. Same with mine. I honestly think I have less gray hair now and I'm 53. My wife (pictured with me) is 57. She's nearly always guessed at in her mid 40s. People can't believe we have 3 grandkids as old as they are. She's dropped 30 lbs since losing dairy/gluten (without calorie counting) because that essentially eliminates most all processed food and restaurant junk food.

There are really crappy nutritional Vegans and there are better ways to do it. You do have to meal plan exceptionally well and supplement in my opinion. Being Vegan has to be very carefully planned and not done spur of the moment to be successful at it in the long-term. I know I'm kind of 'vegan light', but same philosophies apply. If someone doesn't cook/meal plan, Vegan is probably not a great idea.
  • cryonic_273
    cryonic_273 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    A bunch of woo. Green tea does nothing for weight loss.

have you done research on it or just making assumptions?

Are you going to post the research you've done or just brush people off? Here, I'll go first: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10584049

A follow up study with more detail and controlls - shows its measurable but statistically insignificant from a weight loss point of view. -

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23235664