Options
2»

Replies

• amelisegb
    amelisegb Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    J72FIT wrote: »
    OP are you active?
    I do strength training 2x a week (~1 hr of weights with a trainer) and cardio 2-3x a week (2-3 miles running each time, but I'm trying to increase that!)

However I have a desk job so I'm sitting for long periods of time in the day unfortunately.

I love the faye greek yogurt suggestion, and I will definitely look into some plant-based protein powders going forward!

(as an aside, I'm actually allergic to soy too, which complicates things lol)
  • amelisegb
    Options
    I don't eat meat, eggs, or dairy. I found it challenging at first to get sufficient protein while calorie restricting. I began building my meals around my higher-quality protein sources first (for me, beans, tofu, tempeh, and seitan, sometimes some protein powder) and then adding other stuff. Like you, my natural impulse was to eat a lot of grains and vegetables -- considering the protein first and then adding the grains and vegetables helped me a lot.

I think this is a great idea, thank you! I can definitely try to plan meals around a protein and add other foods on top of that.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    amelisegb wrote: »
    OP are you active?
    I do strength training 2x a week (~1 hr of weights with a trainer) and cardio 2-3x a week (2-3 miles running each time, but I'm trying to increase that!)

However I have a desk job so I'm sitting for long periods of time in the day unfortunately.

I love the faye greek yogurt suggestion, and I will definitely look into some plant-based protein powders going forward!

Ok since you strength train I recommend shooting for 100 grams of protein per day.

Fage 2% greek yogurt - 20 grams per cup
    Fairlife 2% MIlk (lactose free) 13 grams per cup I think
    Peas
    Beans
    Egg whites

All of these are right off the top of my head and are pretty good on protein with not a lot of calories...
  • amelisegb
    Options
    amelisegb wrote: »
    OP are you active?

Ok since you strength train I recommend shooting for 100 grams of protein per day.

Fage 2% greek yogurt - 20 grams per cup
    Fairlife 2% MIlk (lactose free) 13 grams per cup I think
    Peas
    Beans
    Egg whites

All of these are right off the top of my head and are pretty good on protein with not a lot of calories...

Awesome suggestions, thank you so much!
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    leggup wrote: »
    To everyone above.. I've heard .8-1 g protein minimum per kg of body weight. So for me that's 57-72 g for a 160 lb woman. MFP recommends I get 81 g. Close enough! I generally come in at 50-60 g and I'm a vegetarian (no meat, no fish, yes eggs, yes dairy).

My biggest sources of protein are black bean burgers (morningstar), fake chicken (morningstar), fake beef/fish (gardein), indian bean based dishes (tastybite), nuts (almonds, pistachios, walnuts mostly), hummus, tofu, soy milk, eggs (hard boiled, in a quiche, fried). Google around. There are also loads of surprise things like spinach that really pack a protein punch when you eat enough volume.

The per kg of body weight protein recommendation is avoid deficiency, in inactive people, who aren't dieting. Being active and in a deficit requires a higher consumption of protein from good quality sources.
  • nickhinds88
    nickhinds88 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I'm usually way over on protein and have trouble hitting my fats.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,737 Member
    Options
    The thread below is a great resource. It links to a spreadsheet that lists many, many foods by protein efficiency - most protein for fewest calories. Scroll past the mostly meat-y fish-y things at the top, and there are lots of plant sources. Find ones you like, and eat more of those, less of something else that isn't much helping you meet your goals.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10247171/carbs-and-fats-are-cheap-heres-a-guide-to-getting-your-proteins-worth-fiber-also

As an ovo-lacto veg, I routinely get 100g daily (5'5", weight 120-something lbs) in maintenance, though it was sometimes a little less while losing. I tried never to go below 72g.

One thing that helps as a vegetarian is to try to get at least some protein from nearly everything I eat, rather than just focusing on one big protein food per meal like a lot of meat-eaters do. There are fruits with protein, veg with protein, breads/grains/pastas with higher protein, etc. Those little bits add up over the day. Added to your fish, seitan, tempeh, beans, tofu, etc., you can reach your goal.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    What about dairy - yoghurt, milk, cheese etc. (yoghurt in particular is a great source, especially if you get one of the higher protein ones)

ditto. yoghurt (particularly greek yogurt) and cottage cheese are really good sources of protein for the number of calories. If I'm low on protein, cottage cheese is my main goto for a snack.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    i've never tried them...but lots of people in different groups i'm in have mentioned muscleegg and the flavored eggwhites you can buy - not sure how you could incorporate them into food - maybe baked goods to increase protein ratios