First Christmas Alone

Options

Replies

• BeamingBadass
    BeamingBadass Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    So this is going to be my first Christmas alone (my daughter will be with her Dad)..thinking about it is giving me so much anxiety..Anyone else spend it alone? What do you do?

What about your folks E? You could hang out with them? If you lived down here you could come hang and have dinner with us, seriously. What about your MFP buddy who never logs on from your city?

If I was solo on Christmas...I'd probably workout I think. Work on a hobby.

Idk...I would probably look up local stuff and go do some activity. You live in a city with MILLIONS of people. There's probably 50,000 people or more in your exact situation.

Somebody has a good idea for something fun to do.

Thanks Michael! I'm sure I'll figure something out..You just know how I feel about the Bryncess
  • mrssants
    mrssants Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    So this is going to be my first Christmas alone (my daughter will be with her Dad)..thinking about it is giving me so much anxiety..Anyone else spend it alone? What do you do?

I'm here for you bestie
  • BeamingBadass
    Options
    mrssants wrote: »

I'm here for you bestie

Love you so much Bestie
  • djeffreys10
    djeffreys10 Posts: 2,312 Member
    Options
    I go to the movies, eat pizza, watch movies on my couch, whatever. I mostly only date single parents, so in the past I would often go on a date (I have custody of my kids so I was generally on a similar parenting schedule as anyone I may be seeing). Just varies by year. This is the first time I have been single in a couple years, so I expect that after I drop my kids off with their mom around lunch on Christmas day I will hit an Asian restaurant for sushi then head to the movie theater.
  • BeamingBadass
    Options
    I go to the movies, eat pizza, watch movies on my couch, whatever. I mostly only date single parents, so in the past I would often go on a date (I have custody of my kids so I was generally on a similar parenting schedule as anyone I may be seeing). Just varies by year. This is the first time I have been single in a couple years, so I expect that after I drop my kids off with their mom around lunch on Christmas day I will hit an Asian restaurant for sushi then head to the movie theater.

That actually sounds like an awesome plan.
  • rdevol
    rdevol Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    "We elves like to stick to the four main food groups: candy, candy canes, candy corn, and syrup." Love that movie!

I'm sure it won't be easy, but I agree with the others - maybe do a little volunteering in the morning, then total self indulgence the rest of the day. Do something you never have time to do - binge on movies, work on a hobby, give yourself a mani/pedi, eat delicious food, take a bubble bath. Maybe plan to celebrate Christmas on the 26th with your daughter, so you have something to look forward to? Merry Christmas to you!
  • plus20UsernameOfPower
    Options

Great idea. I was actually thinking about a trip to the movies. Might make that a definite plan. :)
  • shenanigans_
    shenanigans_ Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Two years ago, I ordered chinese and drank a bottle of wine while binge watching Making a Murderer.
  • RastaLousGirl
    RastaLousGirl Posts: 2,119 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    I can empathize. This will be my first Christmas after my separation. I'll be with my family on Christmas Eve, but will be waking up Christmas morning alone. It hasn't quite sunk in yet.

I plan to watch 24 hours of A Christmas Story. :) And hang out with my cat. :)

I know this is a little off the subject, but My daughter was born on Christmas morning. The whole time I was in Labor, the tv stayed on the marathon of A Christmas Story. Now, it is a tradition to watch it.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    TheRoadDog wrote: »

Hardly a Christmas or Thanksgiving goes by that one of my daughters or my wife doesn't invite someone over that doesn't have plans. This past Thanksgiving, my youngest daughter brought 3 people over that I had never met. We had a blast. This Christmas, she is bringing 2 of them over, as well as 1 or 2 new people. My oldest daughter is bringing 2 people as well.

On the off chance you live anywhere near Portland, Oregon and would like to join us, message me and I will give you directions.

Re5pext!

You're a kind soul and a good man; that's quite the offer.

I'll be over around 7 PM and I'll be leaving sometime around March.

.... 'April' at the latest.
  • caco_ethes
    caco_ethes Posts: 11,962 Member
    Options
    Motorsheen wrote: »

Hardly a Christmas or Thanksgiving goes by that one of my daughters or my wife doesn't invite someone over that doesn't have plans. This past Thanksgiving, my youngest daughter brought 3 people over that I had never met. We had a blast. This Christmas, she is bringing 2 of them over, as well as 1 or 2 new people. My oldest daughter is bringing 2 people as well.

On the off chance you live anywhere near Portland, Oregon and would like to join us, message me and I will give you directions.

Re5pext!

Swing through ND and grab me.

Then again on your way home.
  • caco_ethes
    Options

I enjoy everything you post.
  • caco_ethes
    Options
    csbnga wrote: »
    Be my first alone as well. Probably get some nogg, a bottle of something potent, relax and watch Christmas movies, eat a bit too much.

What’s wrong with me that this sounds like the perfect Christmas? Am I mommed out? Am I ungrateful? I can’t decide.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    Well, first is to have a good mindset that this will be a fun experience, whatever it is. Don't set any expectations and just enjoy the fact you can do whatever you want, or even do not much and just chill. The joy is, you are in total control! I am kinda jealous really. I haven't had many moments alone in the last 20+ years, and certainly not a holiday.

Personally I would rent a remote cabin in the snow that I could really do the holidays quiet and right.
  • Motorsheen
    Options
    caco_ethes wrote: »

Re5pext!

Swing through ND and grab me.

Then again on your way home.

well, you don't need to ask me twice!
  • Motorsheen
    Options

Re5pext!

Well, it's important to share these holidays with others. I've posted this story before, but I want you to know why I feel this way.

"In 1973, I was stationed in 29 Palms, California. Couldn't go home for Thanksgiving. I rode my motorcycle into Palm Springs and was just wandering around. I sat down on a bench in a mall and statrted people watching. Trying to figure out which fast food joint I would eat at, so that I didn't have to go back to base and eat the Marine Corps version of Thanksgiving.

A little girl, whose mother was shopping, came out of a store and sat down beside me. About 6. Started asking me questions and chatting -- as 6 yr olds do.

She went back into the store and came out again with her mother in tow. Her mother invited me to Thanksgiving dinner at the little girl's request. I feel badly that I can't remember her name, but it was 40 years ago. But I will always remember that Thanksgiving and how much it meant to me.

As I spent my time in the Corps, I had many opportunities to be stattioned near my parents' home and I brought a lot of Marines home for Holidays and weekends. Marines eat a lot and my parents were poor.

A few years ago, my mother confessed to me that many times the Marines that I brought home ate up her week's budget for food. I asked her why she never told me. She told me she was happy and proud to be able to help those boys and that she always hoped that if I were ever stationed away from home, somebodie's mother would do the same for her son.

My parents have since passed away. I am going to miss them this weekend. In her memory, we always have a couple stragglers at our table for the holidays.

Think about all the leftovers you try to figure out what to do with and realize you probably have room at your table for someone that isn't as fortunate as you are.

Have a Happy Thanksgiving. I am going to. With Family, Old Friends and a couple new Friends."

Every time we take a person into our home over the holidays, I feel like I am paying a debt to my Mom that is way overdue.

Great Story.

Semper Fi
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    People can celebrate a holiday or special occasion any day they choose. You can have Christmas another day with your family or friends.
    Pick something you enjoy doing on your own.
    Invite someone to spend the day together. There is someone else out there without plans or family or who just doesn't celebrate Christmas.
    Go volunteer somewhere.