Set a goal for me.

Options
I’m technically a beginner with starting back to exercising and I’d like to get back to my 140lb. weight that I feel most comfortable at. I’m currently at 163lbs so I’m asking if any of you would like to put a time frame or a date to reach my goal weight by. And maybe throw some (beginner) exercise ideas in too. Either or is okay. And just a side note, I LOVE a challenge. Be cruel if you must.

Replies

• mandamackinnon28
    Options
    I’m also looking for some friends. I’m often very motivational, but often times I need some myself. I’d like to find some mutual interest friends. Feel free to send me a friend request. ☺️
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Exercise is way less important than diet for weight loss. So I would focus on correct logging and hitting calorie target consistently. Exercise is good for you, and if you do something you like, you're likely to stick to it. The challenge is to find something you like, and stick to it.

A realistic time frame for 163 to 140 pounds could be 23+ weeks. That's not really important. What's important is what you do when you reach goal weight. Go back to old eating habits, and the pounds come back.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    December 31, 2018
  • ladyhusker39
    ladyhusker39 Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    Setting a date is usually not a great way to go. Instead think about a realistic and sustainable rate of weight loss and focus on that. Focus on developing the skills you need to keep your weight once you reach your goal number which as other have already said will be based far more on diet than exercise.

While it's ok to get advice from others about how to go about reaching your goals, you need to put in the effort and take the lead on establishing your goals. When you say "set a goal for me" you sound like you can't be bothered to it yourself. And that's the easiest part.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    I would set MFP to .5# per week and follow exactly as it says.
  • mandamackinnon28
    Options
    Exercise is way less important than diet for weight loss. So I would focus on correct logging and hitting calorie target consistently. Exercise is good for you, and if you do something you like, you're likely to stick to it. The challenge is to find something you like, and stick to it.

A realistic time frame for 163 to 140 pounds could be 23+ weeks. That's not really important. What's important is what you do when you reach goal weight. Go back to old eating habits, and the pounds come back.

Thank you for your feedback. I always say that too. Find something you enjoy, and keep doing that. Doing exercises you don’t like very much, right off the hop, you’re more likely to lose interest and stop altogether.
  • mandamackinnon28
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    If you really like a challenge, one of the best, most productive challenges is to think of this as remodeling your life to stay strong and healthy permanently.

Find exercise or active pursuits that get you moving, ones that you enjoy so much you want to do them for their own sake, and that fit into your life logistically and time wise.

This may require pushing your personal envelope to try new things you hadn't thought of before, which is fun in itself. Commit to each thing for long enough to get through that "new and awkward" stage, because things that are challenging/complicated enough to stay interesting long term are often a little daunting at first. Some people like common things like running or biking or Zumba, and that's great, but there's a whole world of other options, too: Interpretive dance, roller blading, martial arts, tennis, . . . ad infinitum.

On the food side, use food logging to gradually move your eating in a good and happy direction, one that balances nutrition, tastiness, satiation, and practicality.

Set a gradual weight loss rate in your MFP profile . At 163 with 23 to lose, 0.5lb/week would be great, certainly no more than 1lb/week (and that only for the first few weeks, if you do it at all). Try to hit very near your calorie goal the overwhelming majority of days, but don't get upset if you have any occasional over meal or day. Just get back on your healthy track. Eat back at least some of your exercise calories. After 4-6 weeks, adjust your calorie goal if needed to keep your average loss rate healthy and sustainable, but effective.

Use diary review as a powerful tool. Every day or two, look at your diary. Were there foods that "cost" too many calories for the tastiness, nutrition or satiation they brought you? If so, reduce or eliminate those and add something else you like that better helps you meet your goals. Try new foods, but don't force down things because they're "good for you". Balanced nutrition is important in one's overall way of eating, but no one food is magic. Life is waaaay to short to eat foods that aren't tasty.

If you had a day when you were especially challenged, look at that day, and even the day before, to see if you can identify factors or patterns that made it that way: Meal timing, not enough or too much of a macro nutrient (protein, carbs, etc.), poor sleep, stress, boredom, emotions, social situations, etc. Make a plan that will improve things.

Do the same in reverse it you have an especially easy/happy day: What made it go well? Do more of that.

Overall, the point is not to white-knuckle it through some punitive "diet", but rather to learn more about yourself so that you can be happy and strong and stay permanently at a healthy weight. Once you reach goal weight, you simply add back calories a bit at a time, and you have a satisfying routine.

That's the real challenge. ;)

P.S. Worked for me, so far: Lost 50+ pounds, almost a third of my body weight, at age 59-60, and have stayed at a healthy weight for nearly 2 years since. I'm healthier and happier than I've been in decades.

That is extremely helpful. Thank you so much for taking the time to share all of that with me. Sending blessings your way. ❤️