Your favorite holiday cookie?

Replies

• canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    my sister was in norway and promised me moomin-character cookie cutters. i'm watching this thread like a cat at a mousehole while i wait for them to show up.
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    lorrpb wrote: »
    If oatmeal destroyed calories, I would be in luck. Sorry, no such thing!!

That might explain the weight I always put on over the holidays.
  • AudreyJDuke
    AudreyJDuke Posts: 1,092 Member
    Christmas sugar cookies!
  • AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    I have a recipe for Christmas cookie handed down from many generations that I look forward to all year round.

And these magical cookies are? Please post your recipe!
  • You bake, I eat.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    shortbread of course, with the little tiny cherry on top.
  • madwells1
    madwells1 Posts: 510 Member
    Sour cream sugar cookies
  • vanilla_frosting
    vanilla_frosting Posts: 104 Member
    Six-layer cookies
  • maura_tasi
    maura_tasi Posts: 196 Member
    edited December 2017
    I have a great recipe for those peanut butter cookies with the hersey kiss in the middle. It tastes just as great (maybe even better) when I switch out the Hersey kiss for a reeses mini cup! Those pecan butter cookies (the ones rolled in powder sugar and that are oh so dangerous) are divine as well. You can't go wrong with a good sugar cookie recipe either. Just always chill the dough before baking!
  • tess5036
    tess5036 Posts: 942 Member
    Six-layer cookies

What are these?
  • Sp1tfire
    Sp1tfire Posts: 1,120 Member
    edited December 2017

christmas-tree.jpg
    I'm an abomination
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    crazyravr wrote: »
    Completely off topic but I was raised on those cartoons :):):) j

hah. i'm even older . . . we had the BOOKS. there was tv in the world at the time, but not where i lived.

i'll be so crushed if there are no hattifatteners in the set. although i guess those little hands of theirs would get scorched.

• Anotherone8
    Anotherone8 Posts: 8 Member
    Sandies or Pecan Snowballs. Everyone calls them something different. They’re rich and pretty on a dessert plate, as well as the quintessential Christmas Cookie.
    https://southernbite.com/pecan-snowballs/
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    edited December 2017
    Here's my favorite. I make a lot of these and give them, along with sugar cookies, out for the holidays. As is traditional, I just pipe the frosting to make the outlines & features on whatever shape, rather than cover the entire top of the cookie. The frosting recipe makes a lot of frosting - more than is needed for one batch of cookies.

Gingerbread Cookies:

1 c. butter
    4½ c. flour
    1 c. sugar
    1 ½ teaspoons baking soda
    1 egg
    1 Tablespoon ground ginger
    1 c. light molasses
    1 teaspoon cinnamon
    2 Tablespoons vinegar
    1 teaspoon ground cloves
    ½ teaspoon salt

Cream butter; slowly add sugar and beat until light and fluffy. Add egg. Blend in molasses and vinegar. Sift together flour, baking soda, salt, and spices. Gradually add to creamed mixture. Chill at least 3 hours.

Preheat oven to 375°. On floured board, roll dough to 1/8 inch thick. With floured cutter, cut the dough. With wide spatula, transfer to greased cookie sheets. Bake 6-7 minutes. Remove immediately to cool. Decorate or frost.

Gingerbread Cookie Frosting:

3 cups powdered sugar
    2 Tablespoons soft butter
    1 Tablespoon light corn syrup
    3 Tablespoons hot water

In a small mixing bowl, beat together all ingredients until smooth. If frosting is too thick, additional water may be used.
  • vegmebuff
    vegmebuff Posts: 31,389 Member
    rankinsect wrote: »
    Here's my favorite. I make a lot of these and give them, along with sugar cookies, out for the holidays. As is traditional, I just pipe the frosting to make the outlines & features on whatever shape, rather than cover the entire top of the cookie. The frosting recipe makes a lot of frosting - more than is needed for one batch of cookies.

Gingerbread Cookies:

1 c. butter
    4½ c. flour
    1 c. sugar
    1 ½ teaspoons baking soda
    1 egg
    1 Tablespoon ground ginger
    1 c. light molasses
    1 teaspoon cinnamon
    2 Tablespoons vinegar
    1 teaspoon ground cloves
    ½ teaspoon salt

Cream butter; slowly add sugar and beat until light and fluffy. Add egg. Blend in molasses and vinegar. Sift together flour, baking soda, salt, and spices. Gradually add to creamed mixture. Chill at least 3 hours.

Preheat oven to 375°. On floured board, roll dough to 1/8 inch thick. With floured cutter, cut the dough. With wide spatula, transfer to greased cookie sheets. Bake 6-7 minutes. Remove immediately to cool. Decorate or frost.

Gingerbread Cookie Frosting:

3 cups powdered sugar
    2 Tablespoons soft butter
    1 Tablespoon light corn syrup
    3 Tablespoons hot water

In a small mixing bowl, beat together all ingredients until smooth. If frosting is too thick, additional water may be used.

Thanks for sharing your recipe...love gingerbread - makes around 24 cookies??
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    If you roll all the way to 1/8" thick and cut in fairly small cookies, you could easily get 3-4 dozen crispy cookies, although it depends a lot on the shapes of the cookie cutters and how thin you roll. I often make thicker cookies (1/4" or even 3/8" for very chewy cookies) so I get fewer but chewier cookies.
  • vanilla_frosting
    vanilla_frosting Posts: 104 Member
    tess5036 wrote: »
    Six-layer cookies

What are these?

So sorry, I just saw this. They are super easy. You literally just layer the ingredients and then bake at 350 for @ 30 minutes. I don't always measure - just sprinkle the ingredients on top of each other until it "looks right". I've been making them for so many years that I can do it with my eyes closed :)

1 stick butter - melted in 9 x 13 pan
    1 cup crushed graham crackers
    1 cup sweetened coconut
    1 package chocolate chips (some people also use the butterscotch chips)
    1 cup chopped pecans
    1 can sweetened condensed milk

After cooled, just cut into squares. It's messy but oh so good!

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Ginger Bread and Short Bread