Diet soda

Options
124»

Replies

• Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    TonyB0588 wrote: »
    Really? I mean I have no idea so im not gonna shut down that statement or anything but it just seems so unhealthy.

Losing or gaining weight is determined by your Calorie Deficit or Calorie Surplus. If your Calories In are greater than your Calories Out, you won't have a deficit, and won't lose weight. Something with zero calories will obviously not add to your Calories In. (It may possibly be unhealthy for other reasons, but that's a separate debate.)

I eat 1,200 calories a day I'm pretty sedentary

If you are still concerned about diet soda, read through the thread linked on the first page. Aaron know's what he is talking about, as it's his profession. He's probably the best person on MFP to trust for information of this sort.

If he posts something that is over your head (and it certainly goes over mine sometimes) he's also good about explaining it in laymans terms. It's just not his "normal" language and he does get very technical at time. So ask for an explanation if you don't understand.

Thanks but just to make clear so people don't get the wrong idea, diet sodas and artificial sweeteners aren't my proffesion. I dont have some financial stake in their success. I know what you meant but given the threads context that's how it sounded.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »
    JustRobby1 wrote: »
    Here we go again. I have to ask what's next? Is drinking water going to make me fat and then kill me unless it's certified organic and comes from Whole Foods?

Why do you even open these threads if they bother you so much?
    So you know it all, good for you. Many posters don't. I have friends who are convinced diet coke fools your body to believe it drinks real sugar and make you fat. That is not an uncommon and unheard of opinion. Not to mention diet coke gives you cancer.

Good god diet coke does not give you cancer. Why come into threads like this? Because more often than not someone is in here peddling unwarranted fear and conspiracy theories. I think that it is a despicable thing to do and when given the chance I feel it's pretty important to counter that sort of thing hard. It is not a good thing to sow fear and doubt without understanding. Quite frankly you have no idea what you are talking about and when you couple that ignorance with fear mongering it pisses me off.

How in the hell would aspartame cause cancer, explain that to me.

Hopefully, she'll come back to clarify, but I read it as an extension of her statements on the misunderstandings on diet soda.
  • Kst76
    Kst76 Posts: 935 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Here we go again. I have to ask what's next? Is drinking water going to make me fat and then kill me unless it's certified organic and comes from Whole Foods?

So you know it all, good for you. Many posters don't. I have friends who are convinced diet coke fools your body to believe it drinks real sugar and make you fat. That is not an uncommon and unheard of opinion. Not to mention diet coke gives you cancer.

Good god diet coke does not give you cancer. Why come into threads like this? Because more often than not someone is in here peddling unwarranted fear and conspiracy theories. I think that it is a despicable thing to do and when given the chance I feel it's pretty important to counter that sort of thing hard. It is not a good thing to sow fear and doubt without understanding. Quite frankly you have no idea what you are talking about and when you couple that ignorance with fear mongering it pisses me off.

What? I never said it does, and I never quoted you either.
    I said " I have friends who are convinced diet coke fools your body to believe it drinks real sugar and make you fat. Not to mention diet coke gives you cancer."

I NEVER said that's my opinion.

And I was never quoting you anyways but somebody else who rudely came in here answering the OP. That wasn't you was it?
  • clicketykeys
    clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member
    Options
    What is with all the soda posts lately?! Did Oz/Oprah do a segment on it or something?

No I'm not normally on the community much so I'm sorry if I seemed repetitive to the others. I was just at the store today and I bought a case of diet soda instead of a normal one and was curious.
    No it was honestly just a question due to the chemicals and such in it.

aspartame is a methylated dipeptide. It is digested into two amino acids and methanol in your stomach and no aspartame actually enters your blood (only the breakdown products I mentioned). It is a chemical in the same way that water is a chemical. There is not anything magical about it. You would get the exact same ingredient from taking a bite of chicken and a swig of orange juice and is therefore about as dangerous as chicken and orange juice are.

Thank you, just curious because there's so many different 'facts' on it. One saying it's so bad and the other saying it's fine.

I'm far from an expert but what I can tell you is that I have never met a person who was killed by diet coke.

Well of course you can't meet them - they're all DEAD!

;)
  • Kst76
    edited October 2017
    Options

I said " I have friends who are convinced diet coke fools your body to believe it drinks real sugar and make you fat. Not to mention diet coke gives you cancer."

And I was never quoting you anyways but somebody else who rudely came in here answering the OP. That wasn't you was it?

@karintalley Ugh I am so sorry, my sincere apologies I definitely just misread what you were saying and way overreacted to it. I'm sick and sleep deprived and my brain just honed in on the last sentence and I read into your first sentence on the basis of that. I hadn't taken the time to understand the context. That is not an excuse, it is merely an attempt at an explanation. I see now that I think what you were trying to say that I just misunderstood was that these sort of opinions (even if incorrect) are not all that uncommon so the person you responding to was being insulting to act like it is the craziest thing they have ever heard when everyone has probably heard this before numerous times. That you yourself have friends who claim such things routinely.

Again, I apologize and take back what I said. I also apologize if my posted opinion in any way colored other people's interpretation of your post. If you want I can try to have my post removed or it can stay up along with this apology here which is the best I can do to set things right, up to you.

Well thank you, that was nice.
    I always liked your posts on here, so I somehow hoped you misread what i wrote...lol.
    Anyways, no big deal at all. It's been cleared up.
    Thanks again:)
  • CynthiasChoice
    CynthiasChoice Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    @aaron_K123 I appreciate the tutorial on pubmed.gov
    I did read the entire Suez study from Israel a few years ago, but not recently. Some of it goes over my head. The whole science of the micro biome, what affects it, and how or whether to try to manipulate it, is still in it's infancy, as I understand. I'm looking forward to the day we understand it better, especially why obese people have a different micro biome profile than thin people. But that's for another thread.

You seem very satisfied that the body of research already done proves the safety of artificial sweeteners. Maybe once I read some more studies, I will be equally convinced. I urge you to read the Suez study I linked and then tell me if you think it is really insignificant.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options

@karintalley Ugh I am so sorry, my sincere apologies I definitely just misread what you were saying and way overreacted to it. I'm sick and sleep deprived and my brain just honed in on the last sentence and I read into your first sentence on the basis of that. I hadn't taken the time to understand the context. That is not an excuse, it is merely an attempt at an explanation. I see now that I think what you were trying to say that I just misunderstood was that these sort of opinions (even if incorrect) are not all that uncommon so the person you responding to was being insulting to act like it is the craziest thing they have ever heard when everyone has probably heard this before numerous times. That you yourself have friends who claim such things routinely.

Again, I apologize and take back what I said. I also apologize if my posted opinion in any way colored other people's interpretation of your post. If you want I can try to have my post removed or it can stay up along with this apology here which is the best I can do to set things right, up to you.

I always liked your posts on here, so I somehow hoped you misread what i wrote...lol.

Thank you as well. I think given what I did to you there that is my hint I probably should step away from posting for a bit as I'm starting to allow previous conversations to color my reads on new ones. Plus I'm getting a bit tired of posting in general.
  • rickiimarieee
    rickiimarieee Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options

Thank you as well. I think given what I did to you there that is my hint I probably should step away from posting for a bit as I'm starting to allow previous conversations to color my reads on new ones. Plus I'm getting a bit tired of posting in general.

Thank you for all the advice and knowledge. I don't think you should step away, I mean unless you're super annoyed, but I don't think you should because you're extremely helpful!
  • Kst76
    Options

NO please don't step away because of this last incident. Intelligent, knowledgeable advice is always appreciated.
  • unsuspectingfish
    unsuspectingfish Posts: 1,176 Member
    Options
    Honestly, the only thing you have to worry about is the sodium, but most of them don't have nearly as much as they used to, so unless you're drinking a TON, even that is probably a non-issue.

Diet sodas are not high in sodium.
    Honestly, the only thing you have to worry about is the sodium, but most of them don't have nearly as much as they used to, so unless you're drinking a TON, even that is probably a non-issue.

There isn't just sodium in soda, there is also water. The amount of water in the soda far exceeds the amount of sodium to the point that if you drank a ton of soda you would probably be depleting your bodies overall sodium content not increasing it.

Basically if you want to increase sodium levels, eat sodium rich foods. If you want to decrease it, drink water or drink water that contains sodium at concentrations lower than that found in your blood...which soda is, by a lot.

Wow, did I not also say "most of them don't have nearly as much as they used to"? I've still found a few out there, usually bargain brands, that still have an alarming amount of sodium in them for a drink, and if you're sensitive to sodium, then it's probably something you should keep in mind, since most people probably don't think to check their drinks for it. Am I dating myself by even bringing this up?