Is 500-900 calories to little?

Options
I'm trying to lose 5kg in 5 weeks so I'm working out everyday burning 500 calories and eating 500-900 calories everyday is this too little bearing in mind I've only got 5 weeks??

Replies

• WhereIsPJSoles
    WhereIsPJSoles Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    It’s unsafe and unsustainable.
  • Jackibrazil
    Jackibrazil Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    WAY too little.
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    20294607 wrote: »
    I'm trying to lose 5kg in 5 weeks so I'm working out everyday burning 500 calories and eating 500-900 calories everyday is this too little bearing in mind I've only got 5 weeks??

What's the specific needs to lose weight by that deadline? The usual recommended rate of loss is 1lb per week. You're aiming for 1 kg which is more than 2 lbs, so that's a bit extreme.

Meanwhile, you're eating just over 500 calories and burning 500 calories, so the net result on your chart will actually be near to zero. The absolute minimum recommended for that final reading per day is 1200 to keep you alive and functioning normally.

I think you'll have to review your goal here.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options

500-900 calories is too low for adequate nutrition. Trying to burn 500 calories a day on top of a very low calorie diet is not smart or healthy.
    Why do you need to lose weight so quickly that you risk your health?
    Think about something more like 2 kg in that time period.
  • SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    Options

If you HAVE to lose this weight in five weeks, you should have started earlier.

Yes, it's too little. Way too little. Take notice of what the other posters are telling you.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    What happens in 5 weeks?

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Per meal perhaps!

Health should be paramount, please reconsider.
    20294607 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Talking about very low calorie diets is against forum rules. Mfp sets minimum 1200 calories per day.

I apologize I did not know that
    20294607 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    500-900 calories is too low for adequate nutrition. Trying to burn 500 calories a day on top of a very low calorie diet is not smart or healthy.
    Why do you need to lose weight so quickly that you risk your health?
    Think about something more like 2 kg in that time period.
    [/quote]

I don't feel any physical side affects so I thought it's not really affecting my health at all
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    It didn't get a bad reaction it got an honest one.

Very low calorie intake is dangerous unless under a doctors supervision for medical reasons.

The MFP community takes health very seriously and feel that it would be wrong to encourage anyone to persue a diet that could be detrimental to their health.

Be kinder to yourself and eat enough to sustain all your functions, lose the weight slower and you will be able to sustain it without harming yourself.

• SueSueDio
    Options
    Ok this got a really bad reaction

What were you expecting? Overwhelming support for depriving your body of the basic nutrition it needs just so you can meet an arbitrary time goal?

Why do you need to lose the weight so quickly? If it's to fit into a special outfit or something, there are probably other ways to temporarily shed some water weight that might help you - or try some good shaping underwear. Don't starve yourself, you'll feel (and probably look) like crap instead of looking hot.

If there's some other reason, let us know and maybe someone can help you find a way to achieve something close to whatever you need in a healthier way.
  • SueSueDio
    Options
    I don't feel any physical side affects so I thought it's not really affecting my health at all

I wouldn't know from personal experience, but apparently it doesn't always hit you right away. People feel fine, right up until their hair starts falling out and other physical and mental effects make themselves known.
  • consumone
    consumone Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Wow - you need real help - it is unsafe and not acceptable at all.
  • SueSueDio
    Options
    My BMR is 1200 calories a day according to this I should consume 900 calories a day with hard exercise to lose 1 kg a week

Start here:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10300331/most-helpful-posts-getting-started-must-reads#latest

You're not understanding how your body works. Your BMR is the minimum amount your body needs just to keep you alive, NOT the amount you should be eating every day if you're not in a coma...
This discussion has been closed.