Disproportionate waist size?

Options
Does anyone feel like their waist is to big for their body size?

I have a small build at 5'7 w/ a 5in wrist. My measurements are 35(30 band)-27-34.5. Earlier this year my waist was around 25in w/ bodybuilding & eating surplus. I also got my hips to 36in.

However I got severely anemic & had to lay off the gym until my iron levels got better. I also had a sedentary job.

As you can tell I lost quite a bit of valume on my hips but my waist got bigger. I put on about 2-3in of fat on my waist from inactivity & bad diet. but nothing anywhere else. If my bone structure or hips were bigger I wouldn't mind but I know it's not how my body is set up.

Does anyone have ideas on how to combat this &I get back to where I was?

Also any advice on getting back active & in the gym without passing out would help

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    That's hardly disproportionate...

Has a doctor diagnosed the anaemia?
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Definitely not disproportionate. I'm an inch shorter than you with fairly similar measurements (inch more in the hips, sliver less on my waist). I highly doubt I could get my waist to 25" without losing more weight (which I don't want to), though still hopeful strength training will bring it to 26.

If your waist was smaller when you were training, then chances are that's how to get it back there, because it's obviously doable (a lot of women have unrealistic expectations of their waist, but yours has been there recently). But you need to get healthy first.

Does the doctor have any ideas on what caused the anaemia?
  • jaciejaciexoxo
    jaciejaciexoxo Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    Definitely not disproportionate. I'm an inch shorter than you with fairly similar measurements (inch more in the hips, sliver less on my waist). I highly doubt I could get my waist to 25" without losing more weight (which I don't want to), though still hopefully strength training will bring it to 26.

If your waist was smaller when you were training, then chances are that's how to get it back there, because it's obviously doable (a lot of women have unrealistic expectations of their waist, but yours has been there recently). But you need to get healthy first.

Does the doctor have any ideas on what caused the anaemia?

I actually have sickle anemia which was diagnosed at birth but it never bothered me until recently.

• Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Off topic but I am way worse. 30in hips 27in waist. Even when I was underweight my waist was 27. I have the shape of a 10 year old boy lol. You sound lovely. What exercises did you do to see an effect on waist size?
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    Definitely not disproportionate. You've got a 7-inch difference between hips and waist, which is perfectly normal.
  • amandaeve
    amandaeve Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    I'd love to have that much of a difference. My proportions changed drastically as I aged and activity preferences changed. Focus on being healthy. You may never get back to where you were, but you may end up somewhere better!
  • jaciejaciexoxo
    Options
    Definitely not disproportionate. You've got a 7-inch difference between hips and waist, which is perfectly normal.

It's not the numbers that bother me. It's just that I know how my body looks when I'm healthy and I want to get back to that point. It's just harder since I have to limit what exercise I do for now. And I'm confused on how to start.
  • jaciejaciexoxo
    Options
    How much do you weigh? Those measurements in general are pretty small for 5'7"

Doesn't seem that disproportionate...just small. 35 27 34 ?

I'm 120 but I easily lose weight if I'm not active. The gym gives me an appetite. But I'm just small framed because a 6in wrist is considered small framed for women that are 5'2 & I'm 5 inches taller w/ a 5in wrist. My Elbow breadth is 2" which is also means small framed. I can't change my bones.

I also started puberty rather late around 2 years ago & they say it lasts 2-5 years so I may grow but I'm not sure.
  • jaciejaciexoxo
    Options
    Off topic but I am way worse. 30in hips 27in waist. Even when I was underweight my waist was 27. I have the shape of a 10 year old boy lol. You sound lovely. What exercises did you do to see an effect on waist size?

My waist was small before I started working out but since I've been out of the game I've noticed a big difference when I eat lots of fiber and protein which I was deficient of. Also planks, stomach vacuums, leg lifts, and overall core engagement helps to really tighten your stomach.

Could you describe if the 27inch is fat or not and what you typically eat?
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,002 Member
    Options
    Are you over 18? I mean, if you've not finished growing...your body goes through a lot of changes in late puberty/early adulthood.

120 at 5'7" is at the very low end of a healthy weight.
  • jaciejaciexoxo
    Options
    Are you over 18? I mean, if you've not finished growing...your body goes through a lot of changes in late puberty/early adulthood.

120 at 5'7" is at the very low end of a healthy weight.

I turned 19 in august. I know I've gotten taller since the beginning of the year. my weights always been on the lighter side even when I eat in surplus. I know this is in the weight loss section but my overall goal is to reach 130-140 lean muscle through glute training. I just don't know how to approach it while anemic.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options

My waist was small before I started working out but since I've been out of the game I've noticed a big difference when I eat lots of fiber and protein which I was deficient of. Also planks, stomach vacuums, leg lifts, and overall core engagement helps to really tighten your stomach.

A 27 inch waist is not fat. Not even remotely. I have a 26 3/4" waist. Definitely not fat.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,002 Member
    Options
    Sickle Cell has a specific protocol for treatment. I hope your doctor will be able to get you stabilized. Can you ask him for a referral to a Dietician and a Physical Therapist?
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    Options
    Yes, my waist has always measured large, even when I weighed 95 lbs. And even when my front is perfectly flat, fit and in shape.

Just the way I'm shaped.
  • jaciejaciexoxo
    Options

A 27 inch waist is not fat. Not even remotely. I have a 26 3/4" waist. Definitely not fat.

I'm more so talking about composition & proportions, not size. 27 in definitely is Not BIG but considering my build & that may waist was 25 while healthy shows that I did put on extra unhealthy fat.

You also have to look at the fact that her hips are only 3in different which is extremely unhealthy. In her case her waist should be smaller or a combination of growing glutes & shrinking waist.
  • jaciejaciexoxo
    Options

I'm more so talking about composition & proportions, not size. 27 in definitely is Not BIG but considering my build & that may waist was 25 while healthy shows that I did put on extra unhealthy fat.

You also have to look at the fact that her hips are only 3in different which is extremely unhealthy. In her case her waist should be smaller or a combination of growing glutes & shrinking waist.

Uh, NO. That is her shape. Some people just have narrow hips. Just like I have a narrow torso. People come in different shapes. Note how she said she was actually underweight at one point and still had a 27" waist?

As for you, you're still growing. My waist was smaller when I was a kid too.

That's true. I've just noticed that often times when people have apple shapes, they have another factor contributing to it. Such as the study on body shape and diet, bc typically a persons ribs don't allow that much expansion when their hips are so small indicating that theres fat accumulation internally and/or externally or enlarged organs. And in most cases their shapes imrpove after countering those factors. But it's true that's not always the case. I just don't know her specifics or lifestyle.
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    How much do you weigh? Those measurements in general are pretty small for 5'7"

Doesn't seem that disproportionate...just small. 35 27 34 ?

I'm 120 but I easily lose weight if I'm not active. The gym gives me an appetite. But I'm just small framed because a 6in wrist is considered small framed for women that are 5'2 & I'm 5 inches taller w/ a 5in wrist. My Elbow breadth is 2" which is also means small framed. I can't change my bones.

I also started puberty rather late around 2 years ago & they say it lasts 2-5 years so I may grow but I'm not sure.

A 6” wrist would not be small famed for a woman who is 5’2”. A 5” wrist is small for any woman at any height though.

I’m the same height as you with a 6.5” wrist (just over actually) and a large frame. My hips are 37.5 and waist 27.5-28”. Your proportions sounds good for a taller petite framed woman.

• SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    Wrist reference guide (although useless without other measurements)