Low-calorie alternative for flour or lower-calorie flour?

Options
2»

Replies

• benitobeni
    benitobeni Posts: 1 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Saw dust flour is zero calories
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Totally depends on what you're making. In a lot of dishes, it's not even really needed.
  • sgoldrupdouglas
    sgoldrupdouglas Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I mill lentils till its fine add xanthan gum as a binding agent it worked well. I will be trying mushroom powder mixed in next. Miracle Shitaki mushroom pasta does not grow on trees they have to use flour to make them now all we have to do is learn how to make it for our selves.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I mill lentils till its fine add xanthan gum as a binding agent it worked well. I will be trying mushroom powder mixed in next. Miracle Shitaki mushroom pasta does not grow on trees they have to use flour to make them now all we have to do is learn how to make it for our selves.

Miracle noodles are made from konjac, I don't think they have mushrooms in them.
  • AudreyJDuke
    AudreyJDuke Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Great ideas!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Holy thread resurrection.

Flour is flour; a starch. All powdered starches will have about the same calorie load. If you want to bake with a flour and end up with lower calories for the volume, add air. As in Angel Food Cake.

Some of the examples above are replacing the starch/carb with a flour that is higher in protein. That would include oat flour and bean flour.

Another alternative is replacing the carb with fiber. Konjac root/Shirataki noodles are examples of that.

In baking, sometimes only white flour will do. The glutinous protein stretches and binds to make products that are light, airy, and with a unique texture. Gotta love those breads!
  • NoxeemaJackson
    NoxeemaJackson Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    You can do banana flour - 100kcal per cup I think
    https://www.prevention.com/eatclean/gluten-free-banana-flour

You can buy it or make your own.

Also, it depends on what you are making, but, for example, instead of eating pancakes on the weekend, I eat crepes now - more egg, less flour than pancakes, and can be topped or filled with fruits or savory items.

So, maybe instead of finding a lower calorie alternative to flour, you could experiment with new stuff that isn't as flour-y.

Also, try upping the 'non-flour' ingredients - again, depends on what you're baking.

When I bake banana bread, I cut the flour and up the bananas. YUM

• NoxeemaJackson
    NoxeemaJackson Posts: 102 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Also, if you put quick oats in the blender you can make it into oat flour