• DISCIPLINEEQUALSFREEDOM
    Options
    Taylor ham
  • toned_thugs_n_harmony
    toned_thugs_n_harmony Posts: 1,001 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    pudgy1977 wrote: »
    lots of people here are Scandinavian...and therefore eat a lot of lutefisk. I've never tried it myself, but based on the smell I wouldn't recommend. Another Scandinavian thing that is fairly popular here, Lefse. My personal favorite. I would (and do) eat that shiz day and night.

Yesss....Lefse. It's been a grip since I have had that.

next time I make it, i'm gonna send ya some! it's kind of a B to make though so it may be a while LOL
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Motorsheen wrote: »
    Food from New Mexico; it's different from Old Mexico ( really, it is. trust me on this one.).

Alamexo-Cantina-plantain-cakes.-Credit-SLC-Eats.jpg

@Motorsheen ...yes...yes it is...much different. And much different from Tex Mex as well...
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    lots of people here are Scandinavian...and therefore eat a lot of lutefisk. I've never tried it myself, but based on the smell I wouldn't recommend. Another Scandinavian thing that is fairly popular here, Lefse. My personal favorite. I would (and do) eat that shiz day and night.

Oh man, I haven't heard about Lefse in so long. My grandparents were Scandinavian, my grandma made the best Lefse. I haven't had it since she passed 18 years ago. I need to make some. I kind of remember her recipe but I am sure my mom has it somewhere!
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    Haluski anyone?
    And I guess putting coleslaw on sandwiches

Are you from the Pittsburgh area by chance? That is where I grew up and I did not realize then that Haluski and Pirogi were regional things. I also grew up putting fried eggs on all kinds of sandwiches (bologna and egg sandwich?) and French fries on a steak salad was the norm. It wasn't until I moved to Atlanta after college that I realized that French fries were not standard fare on a steak salad.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    KyleGrace8 wrote: »
    I'm from South Carolina and our mustard based pulled pork in a highlight. We're also big on shrimp n' grits but I'm not a huge fan of grits. I googled to make sure I wasn't missing something and one site has boiled peanuts on the list. Yall seriously don't eat boiled peanuts???? They're great, I like the ham/cajun variety.

I love Carolina BBQ sauce. So much better than sweet BBQ.
  • ashareem
    ashareem Posts: 47 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Motorsheen wrote: »
    Food from New Mexico; it's different from Old Mexico ( really, it is. trust me on this one.).

Alamexo-Cantina-plantain-cakes.-Credit-SLC-Eats.jpg

Oh damn it, now you're making me homesick. That and *real* sopapillas, not those stupid fried flour tortilla things.

Originally from southern New Mexico, where a fried egg on enchiladas was pretty common. Breakfast grits, dinner grits (and gravy), hominy, and my favorite, which I can't have anymore, biscuits and chocolate gravy (almost like a pudding/custard.)

Stuck in the wasateland of Washington state, where if you don't like salmon you're considered odd. They don't grow fish in deserts...
  • Caporegiem
    Caporegiem Posts: 4,297 Member
    Options
    Possum
  • DISCIPLINEEQUALSFREEDOM
    Options
    Caporegiem wrote: »
    Possum
    That’s a little chewy
  • Beka3695
    Beka3695 Posts: 4,126 Member
    Options
    csbnga wrote: »
    Oh the grits. Sweet tea is huge here.

I live in a small area of the South where we put sugar in our grits. From the best I can tell, this seems to be isolated to Northern Georgia.
  • AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Chicken riggies and salt potatoes. Awww yeah. B)
  • ljmorgi
    ljmorgi Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Haluski anyone?
    And I guess putting coleslaw on sandwiches

DBF's family is from Johnstown. Haluski is awesome.
  • AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    Options
    Oh, and turkey joints!
  • toned_thugs_n_harmony
    toned_thugs_n_harmony Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options

Oh man, I haven't heard about Lefse in so long. My grandparents were Scandinavian, my grandma made the best Lefse. I haven't had it since she passed 18 years ago. I need to make some. I kind of remember her recipe but I am sure my mom has it somewhere!

It sucks to make but so worth it! My grandma also made the best and I think I have finally perfected her recipe wooo!
  • ctlinj7
    ctlinj7 Posts: 152 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Central Illinois is home to the Horseshoe Sandwich! Texas Toast, Beef Patty (or meat of your choice) French Fries smothered in cheese sauce!!!
    fpzl5t9dm2e8.jpg
  • sw33tp3a1
    sw33tp3a1 Posts: 5,065 Member
    Options
    ctlinj7 wrote: »
    Central Illinois is home to the Horseshoe Sandwich! Texas Toast, Beef Patty (or meat of your choice) French Fries smothered in cheese sauce!!!
    fpzl5t9dm2e8.jpg

I've tried that delicious mess. So good!