Figs?

2

Replies

  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    My stomach may reevaluate its current stance of "feed me and I'll make you pay for it".

    Chocolate covered mangoes sound like a little slice of heaven!
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    toxikon wrote: »
    So my favorite fruit of all time is figs, and I know there is a bunch of fruits that are a nono when it comes to dieting (like mangos) is figs one of them?
    Ps: I just ate one

    I'd love to know what mangos did to end up on the naughty list...

    Mine are dried and then coated in dark chocolate...very naughty, but I still lost weight.

    I now want these more than I've ever wanted something else sweet. I need to ask my husband to hunt some down for Christmas for me.

    imageService?profileId=12028466&itemId=979210&recipeName=352

    Wonder if they have these north of the border here. Looks like something my wife would be into.
  • pebble4321
    pebble4321 Posts: 1,132 Member
    The only fruit that's off-limits in my life is the durian. For real, look it up - they smell like roadkill and vomit and poop, all mixed together and left in the sun for a month. One of my co-workers brought one into the office for funzies, and I feel like there's a time bomb sitting on the desk behind me.

    But it doesn’t taste as bad as it smells!
    I tried it out of curiosity (though my husband wouldn’t touch it) and didn’t mind it.
    They really do stink though, so I wouldn’t buy one even if I could get them at home.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,166 Member
    Figs have tons of fiber and a fair amount of iron.

    As long as you track and are not going over your personal limits for calories/sugar/carbs, there is nothing wrong with eating a fig.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,119 Member
    pebble4321 wrote: »
    The only fruit that's off-limits in my life is the durian. For real, look it up - they smell like roadkill and vomit and poop, all mixed together and left in the sun for a month. One of my co-workers brought one into the office for funzies, and I feel like there's a time bomb sitting on the desk behind me.

    But it doesn’t taste as bad as it smells!
    I tried it out of curiosity (though my husband wouldn’t touch it) and didn’t mind it.
    They really do stink though, so I wouldn’t buy one even if I could get them at home.

    Yeah, it doesn't taste bad, but there are so many other fruits in the world to enjoy that don't smell like death.
  • Momepro
    Momepro Posts: 1,509 Member
    Fresh figs, dates and loquats are my absolute :) favorites!
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,784 Member
    The only fruit that's off-limits in my life is the durian. For real, look it up - they smell like roadkill and vomit and poop, all mixed together and left in the sun for a month. One of my co-workers brought one into the office for funzies, and I feel like there's a time bomb sitting on the desk behind me.

    It's the one food Andrew Zimmern of Bizarre Foods can't stand -- so that should tell you something. :D
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Who on earth told you mangoes are a no-no for losing weight?

    Weight loss is down to a calorie deficit. Eat less than you burn and you lose weight.

    Unless you have a medical reason to reduce your sugar intake, there is nothing wrong with eating any type of fruit as long as it fits your calorie allowance.

    I once attended a Health and Wellness meeting where we were told a portion of mango is one slice. I had just eaten two whole large mangoes before that meeting!!
  • NoxeemaJackson
    NoxeemaJackson Posts: 102 Member
    fresh figs + bleu cheese, or good shaved parm is truly one of the most delightful combinations.
    Don't deny yourself yummy things!
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 10,856 Member
    edited December 2017
    Ginger, orange peals, dried mangoes, dried figs, almonds... are all.good covered in chocolate!

    It's just that: can't have all the bag the day it gets home :cry:

    @Tacklewasher visit your local BC Costco and walk home with the yummy mango loot... but it IS a big bag :scream:
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    toxikon wrote: »
    So my favorite fruit of all time is figs, and I know there is a bunch of fruits that are a nono when it comes to dieting (like mangos) is figs one of them?
    Ps: I just ate one

    I'd love to know what mangos did to end up on the naughty list...

    Mine are dried and then coated in dark chocolate...very naughty, but I still lost weight.

    I now want these more than I've ever wanted something else sweet. I need to ask my husband to hunt some down for Christmas for me.

    imageService?profileId=12028466&itemId=979210&recipeName=352

    We don't belong to Costco. I hope we can source these some other way. I must have them.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    Ginger, orange peals, dried mangoes, dried figs, almonds... are all.good covered in chocolate!

    It's just that: can't have all the bag the day it gets home :cry:

    @Tacklewasher visit your local BC Costco and walk home with the yummy mango loot... but it IS a big bag :scream:

    I will do, just hope no one is disappointed that I won't actually eat them, but being dark chocolate and gluten free, I'm pretty sure my wife will enjoy them.
  • SteamPug
    SteamPug Posts: 262 Member
    TonyB0588 wrote: »
    Who on earth told you mangoes are a no-no for losing weight?

    Weight loss is down to a calorie deficit. Eat less than you burn and you lose weight.

    Unless you have a medical reason to reduce your sugar intake, there is nothing wrong with eating any type of fruit as long as it fits your calorie allowance.

    I once attended a Health and Wellness meeting where we were told a portion of mango is one slice. I had just eaten two whole large mangoes before that meeting!!

    Portions don’t mean anything though. Google says a medium sized mango is 135calories - I wouldn’t really trust this without weighing etc. but for arguments sake you could eat 3 of these at 405 calories and call it your breakfast. As long as it fits into you allotted daily/weekly calories then who cares what someone considers a “portion”? Just enjoy your food and try not to stress too much about what other people consider good dieting.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,986 Member
    Yuck to mangos, even covered in chocolate. But I can get behind figs, especially when it’s a Newton. With a nice Pinot Noir.
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,288 Member
    nowine4me wrote: »
    Yuck to mangos, even covered in chocolate. But I can get behind figs, especially when it’s a Newton. With a nice Pinot Noir.

    sad to admit iv never had a fig :(