Is it stupid starting diet so close to Christmas?

Replies

• walktalkdog
    walktalkdog Posts: 102 Member
    Good advice here. I started on November 1, wondering the same thing. And, just logging your food without trying to eat less is helpful at first. Then, you start to ask yourself, do you really want that cookie/piece of candy, etc., whether it is the first one or fifth one. The act of having to log my food makes me really enjoy the treats I do choose to eat, and not take one just because it is there. Otherwise, it's too easy for me to just keep grabbing one candy every time I walk by the candy dish on my co-worker's desk! I feel I don't really want them when I stop to think about it.
  • emjay6x3
    emjay6x3 Posts: 213 Member
    duskyjewel wrote: »
    I agree with the others who suggested just starting to track but not actually reducing calories at this point. Getting back into the habit takes a little time.

I started again December 1 and had the same thoughts as you.....maybe I shouldn't bother. But I don't have any fun travel coming up and Christmas is only one day, and any holiday parties will only be one or two more days. All other days, I can track and eat for weight loss. I'm trying to lose 20 after gaining it back from the 50 I lost 5 years ago. I went to nursing school and doing that while also working full time caused me to gain. But two years after nursing school, excuses about why I still have this weight are pretty dumb, so I might as well start now instead of later.

Just start tracking, to gain awareness and re-form the habit, and then go into weight loss mode in the new year. Good luck! And enjoy lots of carbs and fat during your trip! ;)

I actually started December 1st last year, and aside from a couple of breaks from deficit whilst I've been travelling or on special occasions I have kept it up longer than I ever have before. Hopefully this time next year you can tell someone the same :smile:

I "started over" on December 1st, too. :smiley:
  • brookielaw
    brookielaw Posts: 814 Member
    I'm another person that would discourage "going on a diet." You can eat at a deficit, log your foods, and make the most sensible choices you can with sustainable healthy changes without "going on a diet." Make the right choices today, by all means!
  • oolou
    oolou Posts: 765 Member
    I think many are confused by the word 'diet' but you've got some great advice in here. If you're feeling disgusted at yourself, starting something now will help you feel better as you are tackling it, taking control. But yeah, don't beat yourself up if you have days of indulgence over the holiday season - just be mindful on the days inbetween.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    jemhh wrote: »
    There is some BAD *kitten* advice here!!!

What advice are you referring to?

Mainly the ‘only three days out of nineteen’ advice. That hit me as being such a great reminder. :)

Edited to include that the overall general consensus to just start is also great advice.

Edited again to state that in retrospect I’ll need to be more specific. Thank you for the call out. :)

Don't worry about it. I think the way the censorship broke up your statement, it made it look like you were saying the advice was actually bad, and not bad-*kitten* or whatever it was you were trying to say.

OMG that makes a lot more sense!
  • Momepro
    Momepro Posts: 1,509 Member
    Don't worry about losing right now, BUT start logging and weighing foods and exercise now. And log how you are feeling before and after each meal, as well as why you ate. (I.E, lunchtime, I'm hungry, feel pretty full afterwards)
    After the holidays, you will have a decent baseline of your patterns and can start deciding from there where you can cut and change, without making yourself miserable enougb to quit.
  • Good_Morning_Glory
    Good_Morning_Glory Posts: 226 Member
    edited December 2017
    jemhh wrote: »
    There is some BAD *kitten* advice here!!!

What advice are you referring to?

Mainly the ‘only three days out of nineteen’ advice. That hit me as being such a great reminder. :)

Edited to include that the overall general consensus to just start is also great advice.

Edited again to state that in retrospect I’ll need to be more specific. Thank you for the call out. :)

Don't worry about it. I think the way the censorship broke up your statement, it made it look like you were saying the advice was actually bad, and not bad-*kitten* or whatever it was you were trying to say.

Thank you!! Bad *kitten* is exactly what I meant. :grin: Oopsie!!

• leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Enjoy your birthday. I'd say pick 1 meal a day to be indulgent with while traveling, instead of all 3 (4, 5...). So if you know you're having a big waffle supper, make the healthier (smaller, more veg) choice for lunch.
  • passenger79
    passenger79 Posts: 257 Member
    You know what? There's always going to be a reason not to start.
    • Christmas is coming
    • I'm in the middle of mid-terms/finals/being audited/the latest wave of layoffs, and my stress-eating is through the roof.
    • I've been laid off and the stress is killing me
    • It's my birthday/someone else's birthday/anniversary
    • EVERYONE starts some diet in the New Year. I don't want to just jump on the bandwagon.
    • The gym is too crowded
    • Don't they say "feed a cold, starve a fever"? Well... I've got a cold.
    • The only way I can get through this abomination of a family get-together is if I keep eating. Because if my mouth is free to talk, it will say something I will regret.
    • It's too late to start so I'll look good in my swimsuit. I might as well leave it alone till next year. Next year, I'll start earlier.

And on and on. I'm not saying that weight loss must be your #1 priority at all times. Enjoying your travel, sampling the local cuisine, wanting the holiday delicacies... if that's more important to you right now, then by all means, go and have fun. (And since tone doesn't always come through properly online, I promise I'm being sincere, not sarcastic or passive-aggressive.) But be aware that there's never going to be a "perfect" time to start your weight-loss. With that in mind, again, it doesn't have to be the most important thing in your life. Just find a "good" time, when you feel you're ready to commit. Then do it.

Thank you for this , you have explained it so well and you are absolutely right.
  • echastee92
    echastee92 Posts: 48 Member
    Don't "diet" at all. Change your lifestyle. Make healthier choices. Eat only when you're hungry and make careful choices about what to eat. Log everything, and try to check it throughout the day to know when you need more of a certain nutrient. If you have breakfast and lunch that are carb heavy but low on protein, try to eat more protein for dinner and snacks, etc. Try to imagine what you are doing as changing your lifestyle to be healthier, not a temporary diet. Yes, you should start now. You shouldn't wait. But you can still eat the things you like, just don't overdo it. Always be mindful of what you are putting into your body.
  • greenlizard72
    greenlizard72 Posts: 76 Member
    I dunno. If you let holidays be an excuse, what else might you use as an excuse later? Being sick, hurt back, break up, car's broken, job stress, family stress, or one of the endless curve balls life throws at us. I don't have an answer for you, only you can answer yourself. Just consider that you are basically asking for strangers to give you permission to procrastinate. After the next month of holiday's when you might be up more pounds in weight, will it have been worth it?

When what you feel and what is in your best interest contradict each other, always do what is in your best interest. I say all this with the best intent. I think you can enjoy your holidays with out over indulging. Just stay out of those Amsterdam bars unless you want the munchies!!
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,281 Member
    I'm back here right before Christmas... i don't want to pile more on.. i'll enjoy my Christmas day..but I want to get started now. Do your best not to over do it....it is better then just saying the heck with it and eating wayyyy too much.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,707 Member
    I was successful using MFP and then I got put on heavy duty meds and partly that and partly feeling *kitten* about myself I've put 10lb on I lost initially and 20 lb on top.

I feel horrid,I 've never been this big.
    Monday I'm going to Amsterdam known for waffles and pancakes,I'm celebrating my birthday there ,then it's Xmas,then New years...

I can't decide if it's pointless trying to diet now or wait until it's all out of the way but just feel so disgusted with myself.
    Any advice is welcome . And yes I know no-one can motivate you but I'm barely getting through days as it is atm and any help or tips is appreciated .

The December before I started MFP, I didn't really change the way I was eating much, but I did increase my activity level quite a bit.

That might be an option for you. Amsterdam is also known for its cycling and from my experience, a lot of people walk as well.

Be more active ... get out for bicycle rides and/or walks every day.

I actually dropped a couple kg just before Christmas that year simply by increasing my activity quite significantly. :)

Then, I went into surgery in January ... which didn't help the weight at all ... and joined MFP in February. But you could start logging your food in the first week of January.
  • whitpauly
    whitpauly Posts: 1,483 Member
    edited December 2017
    I always think it's a good idea to start logging your normal food intake for a while first to see where you can reduce calories without making drastic changes, no reason to go overkill on the run up to New Year but as has been mentioned already it can be worthwhile just so you become more mindful.

This is what I was gonna say,enjoy your vacation and Birthday,Logan in your foods so you have an example of where you can make better choices when the holidays are done,also maybe set to maintenance like someone posted,that's how I'm doing this month anyways
  • whitpauly
    whitpauly Posts: 1,483 Member
  • elsinora
    elsinora Posts: 398 Member
    I was thinking the same. I restarted up the Diet come first week of Dec and I thought it was ridiculous starting during Xmas period. But actually it has been great, mainly (like many say) being more mindful of how much I’m consuming which has made me rethink choices (ie do I really need that extra glass of wine, shall I go for the steak or that creamy pasta) I’ve had office parties and client meals and I’ve lost weight and feel less bloated (clothes already fitting better). I know I’ll be more restrictive after Xmas but I feel I’m already back on track and feeling better despite it being the hols and party season :)
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Don't go on a diet. Enjoy holidays and vacations and birthdays. Just stop the consistent, day in, day out overeating.

This. Enjoy your smoke and a pancake lol.