naturally skinny !

Options

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    RAinWA wrote: »
    This is my husband to all of his friends, I mean he can eat an entire pizza and then ice cream and drink all night. But he never eats breakfast, normally just has an apple for lunch and is pretty active and when hes not with friends he doesn't drink alot, and eats pretty much a vegetarian diet. People tell him hes naturally skinny all of the time but its simply not true, he doesn't have to focus on calories but hes eating at maintenance. For fun once I tracked his intake for a few days, Obviously not weighing and measuring but it came out to around 2500 calories, which is also his estimated TDEE according to online calculators.

He hasnt put on any excess weight in the past five years hes still in the same 5 lb range as when we met.

My husband is like this too - if all you saw him eat was dinner you'd wonder why he didn't weigh a lot more. But he doesn't eat breakfast, rarely has more than peanut butter for lunch and then eats a huge dinner and dessert. I make his dinner pretty calorie dense since we are trying to keep weight on him.

He also drives me nuts because he can sit with a half gallon of ice cream, eat just a bit and put it away. If I tried that the whole thing would be gone before I knew it. :(

Yep. My husband usually just has coffee and maybe a small bowl of cereal from the time he wakes up until he has dinner. Then he'll have tacos, a burger, pizza, fried chicken . . . almost always in a very calorie-dense version. Anyone watching him might be confused if they're assuming this in addition to breakfast and lunch. But that's typically his only meal. He might snack on something like cashews and chocolate chips later in the evening, but he has very small portions because a small portion naturally satisfies him. In the 15+ years I've known him, his weight has stayed in a pretty narrow (healthy) range because he has naturally figured out a calorie-control method that is effortless for him.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Question for the parents out there: do any of you have two children, who are naturally different weight categories from each other? Does the heavier child eat more or exercise less?

I was skinny as a child, but very active - when I stopped being active due to injury and illness I rapidly put on weight as an adult. My mom, on the other hand, was fat as a child and reports being miserable as a teen because she would eat salads while all her friends ate hamburgers and fries. The thing is, I know my mom is a huge liar about food now - she claims to eat about one quarter the amount she really eats - and I wonder if this was true when she was a child as well. But I also know her mom, my grandmother, was slim, and fed her reasonable portions of nutritious food, and my mom was physically active as a child, so I'm curious what first drove her becoming overweight.
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    From the people I personally know who I thought were "naturally skinny" do things like eat one meal a day or are not stress eaters.

Some have a job where they are on their feet all day or might live in a busy city where they walk back and forth to their destinations.

They might be a fidgetter and can't sit down or stay still. Others may have a full plate of food, but actually pick at their meal and push it around and not eat all of it or just have a smaller portioned meal and nurse their food.

What I found interesting is to see those who were able to completely stop eating when they are getting close to becoming full and leave food on their plates. This was a skill that took me years to learn.
  • StarBrightStarBright
    Options
    Question for the parents out there: do any of you have two children, who are naturally different weight categories from each other? Does the heavier child eat more or exercise less?

I was skinny as a child, but very active - when I stopped being active due to injury and illness I rapidly put on weight as an adult. My mom, on the other hand, was fat as a child and reports being miserable as a teen because she would eat salads while all her friends ate hamburgers and fries. The thing is, I know my mom is a huge liar about food now - she claims to eat about one quarter the amount she really eats - and I wonder if this was true when she was a child as well. But I also know her mom, my grandmother, was slim, and fed her reasonable portions of nutritious food, and my mom was physically active as a child, so I'm curious what first drove her becoming overweight.

Yes! My older child takes after my husband and my younger child takes after me. I cook the exact same main meals for both children and when they are home we do all the same activities together. Oldest child comes home from school and his after school snack is basically an entire meal (large protein, fruit or veg and two servings of carbs). He will then eat his entire dinner two hours later. Oldest child is underweight.

Younger child comes home from school and might have a clementine as a snack and eat about half their dinner. Younger child has always been on the line of healthy/overweight.

Both are active rambunctious children. Interestingly our children are built like us as well (older child is top percentile for height and gangly, younger child is "thicker" and short for their age). Older child is a bit more fidgety - but not enough to make up the difference in my opinion.

Pregnancies were also nearly identical (as far as weight gain, time in utero, etc). They even have almost the same face, but totally different bodies. It is sort of weird!
  • laurenebargar
    laurenebargar Posts: 3,081 Member
    Options
    This is my husband to all of his friends, I mean he can eat an entire pizza and then ice cream and drink all night. But he never eats breakfast, normally just has an apple for lunch and is pretty active and when hes not with friends he doesn't drink alot, and eats pretty much a vegetarian diet. People tell him hes naturally skinny all of the time but its simply not true, he doesn't have to focus on calories but hes eating at maintenance. For fun once I tracked his intake for a few days, Obviously not weighing and measuring but it came out to around 2500 calories, which is also his estimated TDEE according to online calculators.

He hasnt put on any excess weight in the past five years hes still in the same 5 lb range as when we met.

My husband is like this too - if all you saw him eat was dinner you'd wonder why he didn't weigh a lot more. But he doesn't eat breakfast, rarely has more than peanut butter for lunch and then eats a huge dinner and dessert. I make his dinner pretty calorie dense since we are trying to keep weight on him.

He also drives me nuts because he can sit with a half gallon of ice cream, eat just a bit and put it away. If I tried that the whole thing would be gone before I knew it. :(

Yupp same here, haha I buy him flavors of ice cream that he likes but I dont, and he can make it last a week or two, if it was in a flavor I liked it would be gone in a matter of a night or two :(
  • laurenebargar
    Options

Yep. My husband usually just has coffee and maybe a small bowl of cereal from the time he wakes up until he has dinner. Then he'll have tacos, a burger, pizza, fried chicken . . . almost always in a very calorie-dense version. Anyone watching him might be confused if they're assuming this in addition to breakfast and lunch. But that's typically his only meal. He might snack on something like cashews and chocolate chips later in the evening, but he has very small portions because a small portion naturally satisfies him. In the 15+ years I've known him, his weight has stayed in a pretty narrow (healthy) range because he has naturally figured out a calorie-control method that is effortless for him.

Thats exactly hoq much husband is too! He can portion control naturally and Im always like, how do you do that?! lol
  • laurenebargar
    Options

Thats exactly hoq much husband is too! He can portion control naturally and Im always like, how do you do that?! lol

Sometimes we'll be out and we'll see something delicious like ice cream or a pastry and he'll be like "I wish I could have some, but I'm not hungry." And I'm thinking: "You have to be hungry to eat ice cream?" because all my life, if something sounds tasty, I don't have to be hungry to eat it. Hence my presence on a calorie-counting website. :p

Bahahah thats me too!!
  • WillingtoLose1001984
    WillingtoLose1001984 Posts: 240 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    One of my sisters is naturally skinny ( a little underweight). She has stomach issues and doesn't like the full feeling. She eats very little at a sitting ( like half a burger) and puts the food away pretty much immediately. She is also very active, so very skinny! I always was unsure how I'd ever lose weight eating like I do because I like the full feeling and hate being hungry ever since I was a child. I was also less active. I feel out of it and hungry when I don't eat. I am trying to get used to those things though. I guess she doesn't have that. My other sister works at it a little but is also pretty naturally thin. She prefers to eat healthy things, like an apple where I would like chocolate!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    My husband is "naturally skinny" and so is most of his family. And I'm with him a lot so I know how much he eats. I think the biggest thing is that he is tall and that he had a good metabolism in his 20s so he never gained in the first place. His whole family is the same way. They all start watching their food intake around their 40s to maintain their slim figures.

He spent his 20s weightlifting and trying to put on weight. Now that he is in his late 30s he still eats a fair amount (but less than his 20s) and he is at nice, slim, dad-bod weight.

His menu for today is thus:
    Breakfast:Huge bowl of oatmeal (about 3 servings) with a quarter cup of walnuts, cup of chopped strawberries and heavy cream
    Snack: half a bag of tortilla chips and half container of salsa (he usually goes through two of each a week)
    Lunch: zoodles with pesto and chicken breast (I will make this for the both of us and he will eat 3/4 and I will have 1/4) - I will add about half cup of mozzarella cheese to his
    Snack: a bag of gummy bears or a couple of cookies
    Dinner: Large salad w/ caesar dressing, bowl of sweet potato soup, and a bbq sandwich and slaw.

I have just come to accept that I will always have to eat MUCH less than him. The overlap in our meals will occur at lunch and dinner and my lunch will not have cheese added. At dinner my salad will be lightly dressed with mostly vinegar, I'll eat a bowl of soup and have a tiny portion of breadless bbq.

We are both at healthy weights but need to maintain them VERY differently (also sorry this is long - but I felt like I had legit life experience to share here :) )

Much of that is simply the difference between men and women, not necessarily being "naturally skinny". I can eat a whole lot more than my wife simply for the fact that I'm male and taller and heavier and have more muscle mass.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I don't know about naturally skinny but I'm "naturally thin." And that's in quotes because I eat a lot, whenever I want...until I tally it up and see that I instinctively eat within my TDEE. I try to stay active and work out, but I also eat more when I go out and therefore, my friends always see me mow down food and think I'm always eating that much every day and staying thin.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    I was "naturally skinny" on 3-5000 calories a day.. right up until I stopped having to walk 8-12 miles a day.

right up until I stopped working 8-10 hour days on my feet.
  • StarBrightStarBright
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    My husband is "naturally skinny" and so is most of his family. And I'm with him a lot so I know how much he eats. I think the biggest thing is that he is tall and that he had a good metabolism in his 20s so he never gained in the first place. His whole family is the same way. They all start watching their food intake around their 40s to maintain their slim figures.

He spent his 20s weightlifting and trying to put on weight. Now that he is in his late 30s he still eats a fair amount (but less than his 20s) and he is at nice, slim, dad-bod weight.

Breakfast:Huge bowl of oatmeal (about 3 servings) with a quarter cup of walnuts, cup of chopped strawberries and heavy cream
    Snack: half a bag of tortilla chips and half container of salsa (he usually goes through two of each a week)
    Lunch: zoodles with pesto and chicken breast (I will make this for the both of us and he will eat 3/4 and I will have 1/4) - I will add about half cup of mozzarella cheese to his
    Dinner: Large salad w/ caesar dressing, bowl of sweet potato soup, and a bbq sandwich and slaw.

I have just come to accept that I will always have to eat MUCH less than him. The overlap in our meals will occur at lunch and dinner and my lunch will not have cheese added. At dinner my salad will be lightly dressed with mostly vinegar, I'll eat a bowl of soup and have a tiny portion of breadless bbq.

We are both at healthy weights but need to maintain them VERY differently (also sorry this is long - but I felt like I had legit life experience to share here :) )

Much of that is simply the difference between men and women, not necessarily being "naturally skinny". I can eat a whole lot more than my wife simply for the fact that I'm male and taller and heavier and have more muscle mass.

Sure - but I also suspect that I'm at the low end of the "normal" metabolic burn for my height/weight and he is at the high end of his. For instance I know, through tracking, that I need to eat 250-300 fewer calories than others to maintain (I'm 5'6" and I maintain 141 pounds at around 1500 calories a day). When I add DH's calories he has about 3,000 a day and he is 6'1" and about 155-160 pounds - maybe that is the standard base caloric rate but that seems like a lot for someone of his height and weight. Both of us have sedentary jobs but are active in our day to day lives.

To someone on the low end (like me) it seems like someone like my husband is naturally skinny - but we are likely just at opposite ends of the normal scale.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options

Sure - but I also suspect that I'm at the low end of the "normal" metabolic burn for my height/weight and he is at the high end of his. For instance I know, through tracking, that I need to eat 250-300 fewer calories than others to maintain (I'm 5'6" and I maintain 141 pounds at around 1500 calories a day). When I add DH's calories he has about 3,000 a day and he is 6'1" and about 155-160 pounds - maybe that is the standard base caloric rate but that seems like a lot for someone of his height and weight. Both of us have sedentary jobs but are active in our day to day lives.

To someone on the low end (like me) it seems like someone like my husband is naturally skinny - but we are likely just at opposite ends of the normal scale.

I have a desk job and I'm 5'10" and exercise regularly, but nothing crazy and maintain on around 3,000 calories per day...2800ish if I'm being lazy...I'd say that's fairly normal for a moderately active male. But yeah...it irks my wife too.
  • CircleJerkk
    CircleJerkk Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I thought that about my boyfriend until I saw what he actually did. He eats once per day usually and also runs alot. He's just never really hungry but when he eats, he eats what appears to be a lot, but in reality, he's a chronic under eater and that is why he is underweight
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,564 Member
    Options

I'm definitely on the high end for calorie burn - around 30% above the calorie calculator estimates. I got fat, and obese, anyway. It's only a few hundred calories, maybe a Snickers bar and a few chips. It's as easy to out eat that as it is to out-eat exercises calories (I did that for at least a decade, too).

Difference between me and friends who've 'naturally' maintained a healthy weight their whole lives? Even in the presence of ample delicious food, they get full and stop eating. I just keep plowing on . . . pretty much the same thing several others have reported.
  • counting_kilojoules
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

I'm definitely on the high end for calorie burn - around 30% above the calorie calculator estimates. I got fat, and obese, anyway. It's only a few hundred calories, maybe a Snickers bar and a few chips. It's as easy to out eat that as it is to out-eat exercises calories (I did that for at least a decade, too).

Difference between me and friends who've 'naturally' maintained a healthy weight their whole lives? Even in the presence of ample delicious food, they get full and stop eating. I just keep plowing on . . . pretty much the same thing several others have reported.

I get full and stop eating. It's not a cure-all. It depends on what you're eating. If you're eating calorie dense food you can still end up in surplus.
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    All my life I've thought I was "naturally skinny " until a year ago when I got sick of being thin and decided to try and do something about it. Joined mfp and started logging my calories and bingo , I gained weight. I discovered 2 things: I'd overestimated how much I was eating and underestimated how active I am. I don't- can't- eat big portions (have had to work on this to gain weight). I only eat when I'm hungry. I stop eating- so leave things on my plate- when I feel full. And I rarely sit still.
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,983 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Those that see me at work would think I'm naturally thin... except they knew me when I was 65 lbs heavier. At work events, I usually eat the most and I'm one of the thinnest individuals in my group (5"10", 150 lbs). Of course, what most don't see is that I have almost nothing for dinner on those days and that I eat more reasonably 99% of the time. And they aren't with me when I'm doing any of this.

kiylwv5hj9xd.png