Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Normal Eating. Agree or Disagree?

Options

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    aeloine wrote: »

@Packerjohn I believe most people can learn [to feel satisfied].

Not sure how I feel about this.
    MAYBE people can learn but how would they? I really struggle with the "full" signal, but I'm not sure if that's due to nature or nurture.

I don't eat to a signal, never have. I eat what seems to me an appropriate amount of food and am generally satisfied with that, so it was about training my eyes to understand what an appropriate amount of food was.

Going back to 1983 (or earlier, as I was already 13 in 1983), I also was supposed to finish my vegetables and at least eat a significant amount of my protein course (which was invariably meat at dinner time). We'd sometimes have food available to scoop up more if you wanted, but often not, often the food my mom cooked would just be portioned out. Also, at that point I think my idea of what I wanted and how much I really needed wasn't yet distorted.

Now I do have the habit (if I like the food) of eating everything on my plate. I recall (before weight loss) making pasta and eyeballing badly and making more than even I wanted, but it seemed like the amount less would be too little for a meal the next day and my body wasn't yelling "no more" and it tasted good so I'd finish it, and then something think "ugh, I ate too much," although the more I did that the less I felt like it was excessive.

So part of normal eating for me now (whether cooking at home and dishing up or in a restaurant) is to decide in advance what a sensible amount to eat would be, and eat that. And when I first started I went by calories and portion size and sometimes thought "that's too little," but it never was, I always felt satisfied when the meal was over (especially if I waited a bit).

I don't really think normal eating = just eat until the body says "no more." I think normal eating can involve judging and dishing out portions. I would say that feeling guilty about eating more one day or not feeling free to eat more if extra hungry or less if less hungry would be probably too rigid, at least for me, but I don't think it means the appetite (as perceived) is the only thing that determines how much food is appropriate. Heck, sometimes I decide how much of a particular food item to have based on what I have left in my refrigerator (only 3 oz of fish, oh well, that's what I will have!), and certainly based on how much I decide to cook. So if I don't cook way more than I need (or I designate everything else to other uses, like someone else's plate or leftovers), that's what I eat, and that feels normal to me.
  • aeloine
    aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    So part of normal eating for me now (whether cooking at home and dishing up or in a restaurant) is to decide in advance what a sensible amount to eat would be, and eat that. And when I first started I went by calories and portion size and sometimes thought "that's too little," but it never was, I always felt satisfied when the meal was over (especially if I waited a bit).

This rings true for me, and I really appreciate your insight. But does it jive with the original post? This is almost MENTALLY deciding that you've had enough rather than waiting for a PHYSICAL signal to tell you that you're full. Does that mean that it's not "normal" eating if you have to set a hard limit rather than waiting for a sort of a soft stop at "satiated"?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    What is normal eating?

Written in 1983 by Ellyn Satter

Normal eating is going to the table hungry and eating until you are satisfied.

It is being able to choose food you enjoy and eat it and truly get enough of it – not just stop eating because you think you should.

Normal eating is being able to give some thought to your food selection so you get nutritious food, but not being so wary and restrictive that you miss out on enjoyable food.

Normal eating is giving yourself permission to eat sometimes because you are happy, sad or bored, or just because it feels good.

Normal eating is mostly three meals a day, or four or five, or it can be choosing to munch along the way.

It is leaving some cookies on the plate because you know you can have some again tomorrow, or it is eating more now because they taste so wonderful.

Normal eating is overeating at times, feeling stuffed and uncomfortable. And it can be undereating at times and wishing you had more.

Normal eating is trusting your body to make up for your mistakes in eating. Normal eating takes up some of your time and attention, but keeps its place as only one important area of your life.

In short, normal eating is flexible. It varies in response to your hunger, your schedule, your proximity to food and your feelings.

(https://www.ellynsatterinstitute.org/how-to-eat/adult-eating-and-weight/)

This is pretty much how I go about things for the most part...
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

This rings true for me, and I really appreciate your insight. But does it jive with the original post? This is almost MENTALLY deciding that you've had enough rather than waiting for a PHYSICAL signal to tell you that you're full. Does that mean that it's not "normal" eating if you have to set a hard limit rather than waiting for a sort of a soft stop at "satiated"?

I'm not sure, but it's more consistent with what I think of as how eating works vs. eating from an unlimited amount until your body tells you you are finished, and I doubt that's really what she meant either (although if so we just disagree). I think "being satisfied" is a mental thing as much as a physical one, and often those signals kick in late so knowing from past experience what IS enough, what will be satisfying is something. I also think that often we are satisfied with what is available -- I've had the experience of being given a meal that seemed way too small but finding it satisfying (not necessarily in connection with me having choice or dieting or anything, either). And I think with really tasty foods we mostly eat for that reason and not appetite (dessert) it's common and reasonable and, well, perfectly normal, to realize that appetite might not kick in as a stop so to decide a tiny bit of whatever is what you want (based on mental processes).

I thought of myself as someone who could eat whatever I wanted and not gain until my late 20s (and didn't grow up dieting or feeling like I was restrictive), and I didn't think much about food, but looking back, I think there were other things going on. One was being reasonably active, but another was having to think about food to be able to eat, the opportunities to eat being more restricted (in a natural sort of way). One was that I mostly ate foods that I enjoyed a lot but didn't tend to overeat (in part because I had a sense of how much I thought made sense). Not really sure. I'd eat sweets sometimes, but not in great amounts, a little something as a snack OR after dinner. More at some times of year (like now) than others, I am sure.
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    I was shocked to find out what one medium sized of my home made butter bisquits added up to in calories when I did the math. I marvel at how we ate when I was a child and we weren't even close to overweight. I still can't figure it out. I don't have a memory of us being very out of the ordinarily active. We did walk to school and for groceries, but I still do errands on foot and I can't fit in those bisquits very often, at least not like it used to be, or the cookies and deserts! I do sometimes wonder if food itself has changed, I know it sounds wierd, but still.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Gamliela wrote: »
    I was shocked to find out what one medium sized of my home made butter bisquits added up to in calories when I did the math. I marvel at how we ate when I was a child and we weren't even close to overweight. I still can't figure it out. I don't have a memory of us being very out of the ordinarily active. We did walk to school and for groceries, but I still do errands on foot and I can't fit in those bisquits very often, at least not like it used to be, or the cookies and deserts! I do sometimes wonder if food itself has changed, I know it sounds wierd, but still.

I'm in my 40's, so I grew up in the late 70's - 80's. We would play outside all day (with my mom and then my dad when he got home from work). There was no online shopping so we were often walking around the grocery store or the mall or up and down main street window shopping. We'd go over to other family's houses to socialize and even the adults would play badminton or some other game in the yard. We weren't an unusually active family, and we hardly ever just sat around. As I said in my earlier post, we ate plenty of processed/convenience foods when I was a kid, and I was skinny until my late 20's (when I got an office job, started stress eating, and discovered the world wide web).

I think it's easy to forget how much more manual every day life used to be, even just 30 years ago. Not sure if that is the case for you, but I think it was for many. I'm not saying the food for sure is not an issue, but I think there are all sorts of variables we tend to gloss over in how rapidly the way we subconsciously live our day to day lives has changed (and continues to!)
  • Kimblesnbits13
    Kimblesnbits13 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I don't think "normal eating" as described above, is normal anymore. Sadly, I think more people have a dysfunctional relationship to food these days. Think about how often you get together with friends or a go to a party and hear people talking about their latest diets, how they're vegan, or avoiding this, that and everything else...I actually think people who are normal eaters in the way ellyn satter described are very rare these days. I wish I was a kid again and never knew about diets! JK kinda....
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options

I think that mentally deciding that you've had enough is a perfectly good way to practice normal eating. To be full is to have given yourself enough of what you need. But when you're fed up, you're getting bored and uncomfortable. I was also overfed as a child, and even though I hated and still dislike the feeling of being stuffed, that was normal for me, and that idea lingers. But my rational mind tells me that less than that, is appropriate for me. I have to have boundaries in order to not eat too much. (I'm fine with that. People tend to think boundaries are horrible. Being a victim of one's every whim, is horrible.) Planning regular meals, and portioning out in advance, are good boundaries. I feel happy and satisfied when I cut off at a reasonable point, somewhere I feel that I've had enough, but not too much, could have eaten more, but don't feel deprived. When I eat until I don't want anymore, I know that I've eaten too much.
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    What is normal eating?

Written in 1983 by Ellyn Satter

Normal eating is going to the table hungry and eating until you are satisfied. Sometimes yes, sometimes no

It is being able to choose food you enjoy and eat it and truly get enough of it – not just stop eating because you think you should. I don't agree with this statement

Normal eating is being able to give some thought to your food selection so you get nutritious food, but not being so wary and restrictive that you miss out on enjoyable food. Enjoyable for whom?

Normal eating is giving yourself permission to eat sometimes because you are happy, sad or bored, or just because it feels good. :/

Normal eating is mostly three meals a day, or four or five, or it can be choosing to munch along the way. ;)

It is leaving some cookies on the plate because you know you can have some again tomorrow, or it is eating more now because they taste so wonderful. I can leave all the cookies in the plate because I don't like cookies :)

Normal eating is overeating at times, feeling stuffed and uncomfortable. And it can be undereating at times and wishing you had more. No, not for me.

Normal eating is trusting your body to make up for your mistakes in eating. Normal eating takes up some of your time and attention, but keeps its place as only one important area of your life. I kind of agree with this statement, but what is the heck is normal?

In short, normal eating is flexible. It varies in response to your hunger, your schedule, your proximity to food and your feelings. I kind of agree with this statement too.

(https://www.ellynsatterinstitute.org/how-to-eat/adult-eating-and-weight/)

• kommodevaran
    Options
    I must be finding this really interesting :D I think some of the controversy is because we are unsure and/or disagree what "normal" means, and what "need" and "want" means. Because we've become used to expect instant gratification, believe that anyone can be and should do and have anything and everything. And because many of the foods we eat today, aren't meant to satisfy a need, but to produce a want. We can't get enough of something that is not made to fill a need. I'm a proponent of a balanced and varied diet, mainly made up of real whole foods, and some treats thrown in, because we need some things that we don't need physically, but just want because it's delicious.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I must be finding this really interesting :D I think some of the controversy is because we are unsure and/or disagree what "normal" means, and what "need" and "want" means. Because we've become used to expect instant gratification, believe that anyone can be and should do and have anything and everything. And because many of the foods we eat today, aren't meant to satisfy a need, but to produce a want. We can't get enough of something that is not made to fill a need. I'm a proponent of a balanced and varied diet, mainly made up of real whole foods, and some treats thrown in, because we need some things that we don't need physically, but just want because it's delicious.

For me personally, I don't know if "normal eating" (in the way expressed in the OP) is possible for me in an environment where very tasty food is available abundantly (AKA, my daily life).

I can think of some situations where I could eat "normally," but none of them resemble my present situation. Some examples: I live upstairs from a donut shop, candy is in most work meetings, and I can get french fries by walking 5 minutes or less from my apartment. Given my situation, what I have available to me, and my preferences, some additional limitation is required. There is virtually no external limitation on what I can eat and when and I lack the inherent internal limitation that I know some other people possess. For me, that means an "artificial" internal limitation -- for me, that takes the form of logging my food and adhering to a specific calorie limit.
  • kommodevaran
    Options

For me personally, I don't know if "normal eating" (in the way expressed in the OP) is possible for me in an environment where very tasty food is available abundantly (AKA, my daily life).

I can think of some situations where I could eat "normally," but none of them resemble my present situation. Some examples: I live upstairs from a donut shop, candy is in most work meetings, and I can get french fries by walking 5 minutes or less from my apartment. Given my situation, what I have available to me, and my preferences, some additional limitation is required. There is virtually no external limitation on what I can eat and when and I lack the inherent internal limitation that I know some other people possess. For me, that means an "artificial" internal limitation -- for me, that takes the form of logging my food and adhering to a specific calorie limit.
    I have been looking into mindful eating and intuitive eating, and I think it's sad that loving and non-profit advice is taken as more pressure to "eat right", or conversely, as encouragement to only eat junk. But I sometimes feel like I get pushback for my own "artificial" limitations - that I think are less comprehensive than yours - weighing myself daily, weighing and counting foods, planning meals, and more general improvements as basing my meals on "real food" - maybe I'm imagining that, maybe it's my own (sneaky) brain that tells me I "should" be able to regulate this "internally" and be able to eat more "snacky" food.

Desperate times call for desperate measures... and you are describing a toxic food environment. Sadly, that is becoming the norm. I am lucky to not be completely surrounded by and submerged in temptation, but it's way to easy to just eat and eat and eat...
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I don't entirely disagree with the article, but I think it's missing some key components, one of them being MINDFUL eating.

Paying attention to what you are eating, enjoying eat bite, and being in tune with when you are full vs still hungry, and understanding that relationship with your body - that really is the key IMO. Most people aren't going to get to that point without some effort and understanding of just what is going in their mouth (accomplished by tracking and counting calories).

Mindless eating does no one any good, and there are plenty of obese people who only eat because it makes them feel better, or because things are tasty, or because they think they are hungry.
  • lucerorojo
    lucerorojo Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    I think times are extremely different in the USA (and even more so in some other cultures) from 1983 and now so that this "normal" in the original post is outdated. I was EIGHTEEN in 1983 in my first year of college, an adult. Although processed food, fast food, etc. existed, it wasn't the norm to order take out or eat out several times a week when I was growing up. Also most families still ate dinner together every night. Although I was raised in a single parent household for half of my childhood, we ate breakfast and dinner together every night. The food we had at college was REAL whole food and there were no "stations" like there are today in colleges, serving pizza, sandwiches and burgers on demand. There also was no internet or cellphones and the only screen distraction was the TV, and people got much more physical activity. Very few of my friends and classmates were overweight. Most were thin or average weight.

Portion sizes were definitely smaller. I still remember when "mugs" became popular. We used to drink our tea from little cups. I have a few that I inherited from my grandmother. When I worked my first job in Manhattan (in 1984) I remember buying a coffee and it was about 4-5 oz. in a paper cup and that was NORMAL. Nowadays a normal cup of coffee from Starbucks, et al is 16 oz. and many people buy even more. I also remember when these big "muffins" and big "cookies" became popular. The "normal" muffins and cookies eaten at the time were about 1/3-1/2 the size of what we eat today.
  • kommodevaran
    Options
    I was 13 in 1983. Even in the outback (Norway), we had junk food and fast food. But we didn't have today's mindset. We ate meals, and we ate at home, we ate home cooked meals, we ate together, and we all ate the same things. Eating outside meals was frowned upon. Snacks to "tide you over" was almost unheard of, unless you were a sickly child. You had to WAIT for food :o Walking the street with a water bottle of coffee cup would have produced curious stares. If you had to have a chocolate bar on the bus, you ate it discreetly. Eating out was a special treat.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    Agree.
  • distinctlybeautiful
    distinctlybeautiful Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    @Lounmoun I think she poses so many different situations illustrating the same idea to show people that normal eating looks differently at different times and in different circumstances. I agree with some of what you’re saying, but what I hear throughout your definition are instructions for how to eat to maintain a certain weight or to lose weight, which seems to require pretty constant awareness of how many calories you’re eating. I think the idea Satter puts out is that it is possible for most people to eat without this awareness and be ok. Just like you say people can trust their bodies and that they don’t need to detox, Satter seems to believe we can trust our bodies to tell us how much food to eat, as long as we have some self-awareness.

@aeloine Really good points. I do think most people can learn though, even if they struggled or didn’t have options as a child. I think it involves trial and error and allowing yourself to eat without parameters, even accepting you might gain weight as you practice and try to learn to trust your body or accepting you might waste food in the pursuit of figuring it all out. It’s not easy, and it’s not comfortable, especially after a lifetime of doing things one way. I think it can be learned though. I wasn’t raised to pay attention to how I feel about food. I started exhibiting disordered eating behaviors and thoughts at a very young age, but now, 20+ years later, I’m learning a different way. I never thought food and weight would stop consuming my thoughts as much as they used to, but it’s happening now. It’s a beautiful thing.

@kimny72 I think if eating is a go-to, constant coping mechanism for boredom or sadness, it could be an issue, but Satter is basically saying it’s normal to eat sometimes for reasons other than hunger. I don’t think emotional eating in and of itself is a bad thing. If it’s something a person is unhappy with, maybe there needs to be some work around either the underlying issue or the coping mechanism. More and more, though, I’m learning restriction, actual and mental, is often what leads to bingeing, so removing any restrictions is a good place to start to address chronic bingeing. It’s scary and may result in weight gain at first, but it allows your body to learn the food will always be available, which reduces the intense need to eat everything because you won’t be able to eat it later.

@shaumom To the first point, your phrasing takes responsibility away from people. Often people make choices about what to “put in front of them,” so there is agency involved. Yes, we’re affected by our environment, but we still make choices. Also, it seems Satter doesn’t necessarily believe in portion control in the sense that there’s a correct portion everyone should be eating. The idea is to come to a place where you are in tune with and accept what satisfies you. Regarding the third point, I think there are definitely ways we developed that no longer benefit us in the current environment but that we’re able to overcome without constant thought and effort. I’ve said it already, but I believe the idea behind Satter’s definition is that this normal eating happen once a person is in tune with his/her body and can take cues from it, which is something that takes practice. Once it happens though, it’s not something that requires a ton of energy.

@lemurcat I think you make really good points here. It’s not all about eating whatever you want as much as you want all the time because that’s not life. Circumstances shape everything we do. @aeloine Satter says “In short, normal eating is flexible. It varies in response to your hunger, your schedule, your proximity to food and your feelings.” That means it’s not all about physical cues all the time. I think it become abnormal if you’re still hungry or feeling unsatisfied but are unwilling to eat more because you’ve set a hard limit.

@rheddmobile Of course there are circumstances in which one must consider more carefully what one eats. Everyone doesn’t have the luxury of eating without giving it a lot of thought whether it’s due to diabetes or allergies or whatever it might be that requires diligence around food choices. Neither, however, does everyone’s health deteriorate because they follow the normal eating principles set out by Satter.

@Kimblesnbits13 I agree. I think it’s nearly impossible to live in a culture that values being thin and now being fit-looking as much as ours does and not be affected by it.

@Gisel2015 I think the final statement is a summary of all the other statements, such that agreeing to that implies agreement with the others. People aren’t always going to be able to eat until they’re satisfied, hence her later point about how it’s sometimes undereating, and people aren’t always going to stop when they’re satisfied, hence her later point about it being overeating. Enjoyable food? Food you enjoy. I’m curious. Do you think people should stop eating before they’ve had enough?

@janejellyroll What I hear, though, is you do have an internal limitation in the sense that you have a desire to not gain weight. Fear of or desire to avoid weight gain can often translate into fear of or restriction around food, which are both possible precursors of eating large quantities of the foods we’ve deemed inappropriate or unhealthy.

@HoneyBadger155 I guess I feel it’s implied because how will one know if s/he is satisfied if s/he’s not paying attention? She also mentions how food varies in response to hunger.
  • distinctlybeautiful
    distinctlybeautiful Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    A common theme across a lot of these responses is weight control. I think part of the idea behind normal eating is that if we get to this place where we can trust our bodies, where we're in tune with what satisfies us and what helps us feel good, and we sometimes eat a ton and sometimes eat too little and understand we'll be ok, our bodies will settle at the weight they're meant to be.