Any Senior’s out there?

Options

Replies

• allenpriest
    allenpriest Posts: 1,102 Member
    Options
    I'm starting to get those special store discounts. I'll take them!
  • MissyCHF
    MissyCHF Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    At 84 I'm a little too senior so I'll just sit back and applaud....
    At 84 I'm a little too senior so I'll just sit back and applaud....

So what are your tricks for remaining active ?
    Active? What does that word mean? :) I have have arthritic hips and knees - a little less painful now with weight loss. So my activity is at a minimum.

So happy weight loss to all you youngsters..
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,988 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    beaglady wrote: »
    I’m 59 but I don’t consider myself a senior. I work full time and am always busy.

At 67, there's no denying that I'm a "senior" and I have no problem w/the label because I don't look or act like a senior, let alone one my age.

I've been retired since I was 56. I never liked working for a wage and never had the pleasure of being paid to do something that I loved doing. Might still be working if I had.

But, as it is, I like it a lot better being paid a pension while NOT working and I'm always busy doing something that I love to do now. :)
  • paulab4me7982
    paulab4me7982 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    My goal is some size 6 jeans. Muffin tops look like crap in jeans too
  • paulab4me7982
    Options
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    beaglady wrote: »
    I’m 59 but I don’t consider myself a senior. I work full time and am always busy.

At 67, there's no denying that I'm a "senior" and I have no problem w/the label because I don't look or act like a senior, let alone one my age.

I've been retired since I was 56. I never liked working for a wage and never had the pleasure of being paid to do something that I loved doing. Might still be working if I had.

But, as it is, I like it a lot better being paid a pension while NOT working and I'm always busy doing something that I love to do now. :)

I’m a busy senior too. I love staying home and getting paid to do that. Yeah pensions. And a new lively life thanks to MFP
  • gtm197
    gtm197 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    65 in January. Loving life....
  • allenpriest
    allenpriest Posts: 1,102 Member
    Options
    Older boomers may have pensions. Us younger boomers not so much. That changes the planning more than a little bit.
  • beaglady
    beaglady Posts: 1,362 Member
    Options
    Older boomers may have pensions. Us younger boomers not so much. That changes the planning more than a little bit.

Yeah. To me, being a senior means being fortunate enough to be retired. The target age for retirement keep being moved farther away. Until hubs and I are eligible for medicare, I have to work full time so that we have insurance.

I wish I would have chosen a career that allows retirement after 30 years service. That concept never even crossed my mind when I was younger.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,988 Member
    Options

Yeah, defined benefit retirement plans are becoming rarer than hen's teeth but they're still out there, mainly in govt sevice.

I lucked out going into law enforcement after a variety of failed career ventures. If not, I'd probably still be working and hating every minute of it
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    I love this thread because at 56 it appears I'm the kid here! :)

When I found out I was no longer needed for the second time this decade, I overcame the attendant fear with knowledge. The first time, I didn't have the multi-million $ nest egg I'd been conditioned to believe I needed to retire. The second time, I knew what to do with the small amount I did have, so now I'm confident that I'll be quite ok for the remainder of my life.
  • paulab4me7982
    Options
    Sounds like a well grounded healthy attitude. Good for you!!!
  • paulab4me7982
    Options
    Good for you! I used to love running half marathons but I had to give it up because of needed surgeries on both Achilles’ tendons. Got to live the running community
    Djproulx wrote: »
    I turned 60 last month. I lost roughly 50lbs in 2011 at 54 yrs old.

Since losing the weight, I've become active in running and triathlon. I'm currently finishing an 8 week recovery period from training, so I'm a bit flabby at 184lbs. That will change in January, since I intend to race at 172lbs next season. My goal race for 2018 is the Ironman Mont Tremblant race in August. It will be my first time at the full Ironman distance.

I enjoy the social aspect of racing and I know quite a few athletes in their 50's, 60's and 70s. I've even met two gentlemen during races who were in their 80s and still competing in Ironman 70.3 events. They were very inspiring.

• blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    Options
    Hello. I have been using this app since 29Oct and so far have lost 15 pounds with 15 more pounds to lose. I would love to connect with other Seniors for support over the Christmas season and beyond.
    For exercise I walk and go to aquasize classes at the local pool. All I want for Christmas is a Series 3 Apple Watch so that once I start swimming it will count my swimming strokes. Is anyone out there?

I'm 56. 6'1". SW 256 in 2015. CW 197. I still have about 20-lbs to lose or so. I run 4xweek for about 20-miles. I like to ski and if I had an ACL in my left knee, I would still be playing basketball but alas, I've given that up.

I do IF and I don't count. I just shorten my window tell it works. Typically it takes a 20:4 routine for me to lose and I can maintain doing a 16:8 both eating ad libitum in the evenings.

Sounds like what your doing is working so keep it up!

My Christmas strategy is I don't eat tell noon or a little later and then that is about the only rule I have. I should be able to maintain doing that. Got in a good hard 6-mile run in this morning which helps.
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    I feel very blessed to be able to live on me & hubby's social security & my small pension & I work part time 6hrs a week. We paid our house off some years ago. It'l be 4yrs next march since I got laid off from my job at the hospital of 15yrs, but I'm SO glad I don't HAVE to work(we live modestly) & I'm fairly healthy. Hope you all had a nice Christmas. Mine was a little sad since we didn't spend it with any of our 4 children (or their families) 2 live out of town, one worked & our youngest we spent time with on the 23rd, which was great. It was just us two & our dogs. Our dogs got to go on several walks that day. I usually don't cook anything special & hubby tries hard to stay away from sweets, so it was regular meals.
  • dejavuohlala
    dejavuohlala Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    Yes I'm 70 and still trying to keep healthy. Good luck
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    Did u get the watch?