What on earth did Tim Burton do to Alice in Wonderland?

Options
As i 25 year old bloke i can still remember watching some iconic cartoons and films including Alice in wonderland, loony Tunes, Tarzan, The A team......

I came across Tim Burton's version of Alice in Wonderland. All i can utter is 'What the hell is this'! He transformed a simple adventurist yet iconic cartoon/film into a dark over the top piece of trash!

His version is more like Alice in Wonderland: Halloween Edition!

Replies

• broganvc
    broganvc Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    That's what Tim Burton does though- that's what he's known for. Taking simple concepts like that and transforming them, making them "weird".

Personally, I thought it was brilliant and very well done.
  • voluptas63
    voluptas63 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    If you've seen other Tim Burton films, you'd see it's directly in line with his vision of film. I actually quite liked it.
  • annalobdell
    annalobdell Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I liked it. Have you ever read the book. It is more like the book than the watered down disney version. I love Tim Burton though. To each his own.
  • karenjoy
    karenjoy Posts: 1,840 Member
    Options
    Have you ever read the actual book? Not the Disneyfied version, the original book written by Lewis Carroll?
  • rachelw16
    Options
    I actually hated it as well, having read the original book. Then again, I also hate Tim Burton, so I was probably biased
  • ♥Faerie♥
    ♥Faerie♥ Posts: 14,053 Member
    Options
    I love Tim Burton....he is a brilliant man....

That is all.......
  • mariapuhl
    mariapuhl Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I loved it. Boring ish plot, but it was beautiful and so Tim Burton. I love Tim Burton stuff. And it's way more like the book than the disney stuff, like others have said.
  • dayzeerock
    dayzeerock Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    As i 25 year old bloke i can still remember watching some iconic cartoons and films including Alice in wonderland, loony Tunes, Tarzan, The A team......

I came across Tim Burton's version of Alice in Wonderland. All i can utter is 'What the hell is this'! He transformed a simple adventurist yet iconic cartoon/film into a dark over the top piece of trash!

His version is more like Alice in Wonderland: Halloween Edition!

Clearly, you've never read the book.
  • ohwhataday
    ohwhataday Posts: 1,398 Member
    Options
    I liked it. Have you ever read the book. It is more like the book than the watered down disney version. I love Tim Burton though. To each his own.

this. his films are usually closer to the 'book' if there is one, than the other versions. and they are often darker than most people realize. there are things I love and also hate about his films.
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    I LOVE Tim's version...and it's so much like the book! Disney is the one that f*cked it up.
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
    Options
    I have read the book and it is a little darker than what the disney version shows, of course they always water everything down. I like the spin he puts on the movie, but he did take a lot of liberties just like disney did.
  • erzsebet_1560
    Options
    I agree with the other posters...much better than the Disney version. Tim Burton is one of my all time favs....I have all of his movies-even Pee Wee's Big Adventure!
  • NaomiLyn15
    NaomiLyn15 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Read the book, you will change your mind about the disney version. Tim Burton is much closer to the premise of the book. Great movie.
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
    Options
    I agree with the other posters...much better than the watered down Disney version. Tim Burton is one of my all time favs....I have all of his movies-even Pee Wee's Big Adventure!

I did not know Tim Burton did Pee Wee's Big Adventure, Large Marge was in my nightmare's hahahaha. Learn something new every day.
  • dipsl19
    dipsl19 Posts: 317 Member
    Options

this. his films are usually closer to the 'book' if there is one, than the other versions. and they are often darker than most people realize. there are things I love and also hate about his films.

"IF THERE IS ONE"!??!?!!?!??!?!!?!?!??!?! omg.

omg.

ugh
  • Drunkadelic
    Drunkadelic Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    Walt Disney is the one who screwed up this story. Tim Burton is brilliant.

(Don't get me wrong - I still love the Disney version, I just have to separate it from the actual story in my head)
  • erzsebet_1560
    Options
    I agree with the other posters...much better than the watered down Disney version. Tim Burton is one of my all time favs....I have all of his movies-even Pee Wee's Big Adventure!

I did not know Tim Burton did Pee Wee's Big Adventure, Large Marge was in my nightmare's hahahaha. Learn something new every day.

Yep-great movie and Danny Elfman did all the music:) My family thinks I'm nuts because I am constantly quoting that movie! LOL
  • BAMA66
    BAMA66 Posts: 240
    Options
    Have you ever read the actual book? Not the Disneyfied version, the original book written by Lewis Carroll?

Agree and Tim Burton is amazing
  • erzsebet_1560
    Options

omg.

ugh

I think the poster was referencing his other movies..some he took from books and others are his own stories.
  • dipsl19
    dipsl19 Posts: 317 Member
    Options

omg.

ugh

I think the poster was referencing his other movies..some he took from books and others are his own stories.

OH thank god. this almost ruined my whole morning hahah :P