Can't build muscle in deficit Q

Options
2»

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Either you are in a deficit (losing fat), in maintenance (recomping - very slowly losing fat and adding small amounts of muscle), or in a surplus (gaining muscle and fat). Assuming you are also following a proven, progressive lifting program.

So what happens to your body when you are in a deficit and following a proven, progressive lifting program?
    If you're an advanced or intermediate lifter, you don't lose much muscle or strength.

If you're a beginner lifter, you maintain or gain strength and possibly muscle.

And you burn fat in both.
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much, everyone. I appreciate the help.
  • Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    No there isn't a magic switch that gets thrown when you go one calorie under TDEE that prevents muscle protein synthesis. Not that your body actually knows you are in a deficit of course.

Like most absolute statements "you can't build muscle in a deficit" is incorrect.
    Do also remember that deficit is a range, bigger the deficit the harder it becomes.

Add previously lifted, current training status, genetically gifted, PEDs to list above.

I hate the phrase "you can't build something out of nothing". My current TDEE is around 3,000 and 2,999 would be a deficit and certainly isn't nothing.

My comment about not building something out of nothing was pertaining to OP’s confusion about TDEE & BMR. Eating below BMR would be trying to build something (muscle) out of nothing (inadequate calories to even maintain bodily functions).
    OP, if you lift now while losing fat with a reasonable deficit you will probably like the results.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    LAWoman72 wrote: »
    Okay, got it. Thanks.

But then...how am I losing fat as you say, without a deficit?

You're probably not.
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    Options
    Sumiblue wrote: »
    sijomial wrote: »
    No there isn't a magic switch that gets thrown when you go one calorie under TDEE that prevents muscle protein synthesis. Not that your body actually knows you are in a deficit of course.

Like most absolute statements "you can't build muscle in a deficit" is incorrect.
    Do also remember that deficit is a range, bigger the deficit the harder it becomes.

Add previously lifted, current training status, genetically gifted, PEDs to list above.

I hate the phrase "you can't build something out of nothing". My current TDEE is around 3,000 and 2,999 would be a deficit and certainly isn't nothing.

My comment about not building something out of nothing was pertaining to OP’s confusion about TDEE & BMR. Eating below BMR would be trying to build something (muscle) out of nothing (inadequate calories to even maintain bodily functions).
    OP, if you lift now while losing fat with a reasonable deficit you will probably like the results.

Awesome, thanks.