December 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    "Woo" is short for "woo-woo", which means pseudoscience, BS, urban myth, derp, etc.

http://skepdic.com/woowoo.html

I first heard of it back in the early 2000s in reference to all the new age, paranormal beliefs a lot of people were into.

I think it originated as the mocking noise we make when people talk about ghosts:"Woooooo". :smiley:

That's all fine and good... but since almost no one knows what it means, and it could be woo-hoo just as easy *kitten* woo-woo, many are seeing it as a positive thing and using it as such. This makes it at best misleading.

It is a horrible choice especially since they stated that in 2018 they plan to USE all these points for something. For what is not clear, but whatever it is will be problematic since "woo" is ambiguous and can be used for negative or positive.

*shrugs* It is their house, and if they want things to be confusing, I guess they can do that.
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    girlinahat wrote: »
    I ran this morning!!!

woohoo!! (that's happy woo as opposite to woo-pseudoscience woo)

less than 2 miles, because I had to be at work early to give someone a lift in, but it was faster than usual. And the weather was so drizzly I pretty much couldn't see the whole way round the park and just hoped I was going in the right direction. My head cold is still hanging around, but it didn't affect my run - need to get in SOMETHING before Christmas hits!

Would have given you an awesome for this... I guess a like will just have to do :)
  • JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    Ben's OOT schedule is really messing me up this month- I feel like I've taken an excessive number of rest days :/ .

And to the woo vs. hug discussion I like that they took a solid stance on woo being a negative reaction but hug seems a strange replacement for awesome. I would've nixed like and kept awesome personally- keep all the positively charged words!
    December 1- 18
    December 2- 52
    December 3- 20+8
    December 4- 20
    December 5- 16
    December 6- 12
    December 7- Off
    December 8- 29
    December 9- 28
    December 10- 161 [16:28:02]
    December 11- Off
    December 12- 6
    December 13- 10
    December 14- Off
    December 15- 29
    December 16- 28
    December 17- 18
    December 18- 25
    December 19- Off
    December 20- 33

513/626km

2018 Races
    *Gord's Frozen A** 50K, February 19
    *JAJA Trail Marathon, April 1
    *Red Deer Marathon, May 20
    ???Lone Wolf Last Man Standing Race, June 17
    *Cactus Coulee Crawl 30km, TBA June
    *Eddie's Half Marathon, TBA June
    *Run in the Buff 120km TBA August
    *Lost Souls 100 Mile September 7
    ???Lewiston Trail Ultra September 29
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    No run as of yet today. My wife and I stayed up too late last night for me to get today's run in this morning. Planned run is 1:00:00 so, I'll sneak it in after little Man goes to bed, probably an easy 10k or something like that..... in the Winter Weather Advisory for that time.... it's gonna be awesome!
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    12/1 - 5 miles. Still loving the warmer than average weather!
    12/2 - 5 miles.
    12/3 - Busy / rest day.
    12/4 - 5.15 miles. This weather is nuts! It was 63° at 4:45 a.m.
    12/5 - 4.75 miles. 35° temperature drop in 24 hours...Brrr!
    12/6 - 3.5 'mill miles, then upper body weights / abs.
    12/7 - Unplanned rest day. Didn't sleep...ZZZZZ
    12/8 - 3.5 on the treadmill, then weights and abs.
    12/9 - 4.5 windy miles.
    12/10 - 3 'mill miles, then extremely short upper body weights.
    12/11 - 5 miles.
    12/12 - Rest day.
    12/13 - 5 windy miles.
    12/14 - 5 miles. Colder by 15° than yesterday, but way more comfortable because no *kitten* wind!
    12/15 - 4 miles. Shorter than usual because my wife wouldn't stop talking so I could get out the door to run :smiley:
    12/16 - Unplanned rest day. Just lazy.
    12/17 - Another rest day...still lazy...and a bit hungover
    12/18 - 5.1 miles.
    12/19 - 5 miles.
    12/20 - 4 on the treadmill, then upper body weights
    exercise.png
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    "Woo" is short for "woo-woo", which means pseudoscience, BS, urban myth, derp, etc.

http://skepdic.com/woowoo.html

I first heard of it back in the early 2000s in reference to all the new age, paranormal beliefs a lot of people were into.

I think it originated as the mocking noise we make when people talk about ghosts:"Woooooo". :smiley:

That's all fine and good... but since almost no one knows what it means, and it could be woo-hoo just as easy *kitten* woo-woo, many are seeing it as a positive thing and using it as such. This makes it at best misleading.

It is a horrible choice especially since they stated that in 2018 they plan to USE all these points for something. For what is not clear, but whatever it is will be problematic since "woo" is ambiguous and can be used for negative or positive.

*shrugs* It is their house, and if they want things to be confusing, I guess they can do that.

I never used the "Woo" before and now certainly less likely. Never knew if it was "woohoo" or "whoa".
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    So the temps WERE falling in into the single digits - so I ran out and bought a better cold kit... been in the 40s ever since. Money well spent! :lol:
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    So the temps WERE falling in into the single digits - so I ran out and bought a better cold kit... been in the 40s ever since. Money well spent! :lol:

preparation is always money well spent
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    I always say woo, as in woohoo! So I was using it like that (plus the face looked happy) but then I saw some threads that it could be both woohoo and woo "science". I stopped using it. I didn't want people to think I thought they were full of BS when I was really excited for them.

And now the face looks like WTF face.
  • hist_doc
    hist_doc Posts: 206 Member
    Options

exercise.png

• cburke8909
    cburke8909 Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    6.3 miles on the road today. Couldn't get out of bed early enough for 8. Perhaps tomorrow

exercise.png
  • seanevan10
    seanevan10 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I always say woo, as in woohoo! So I was using it like that (plus the face looked happy) but then I saw some threads that it could be both woohoo and woo "science". I stopped using it. I didn't want people to think I thought they were full of BS when I was really excited for them.

And now the face looks like WTF face.

If it is really for WTF, they should just change it to WTF. I think that it would be appropriate. and I like @JessicaMcB 's idea to get rid of like and make it AWESOME!
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    With regard to icing, I find icing totally appropriate when I pour a glass of bourbon. Other than that, I try to avoid it.

For me, I always considered "Woo" to be the same as w00t!! or Woo-hoo! So, if you get a Woo from me, it's positive.

Wolf-whistled at twice by a young man I ran past. (I'm 50 ffs!)
    I think that's what they call a NSV. ; )

@hjeppley congrats on the 1st place AG finish!
    @rheddmobile I love how your story took a turn for the awesome!
    @ddmom0811 I wasn't going to say anything until it actually happens (IF it happens) but your mile per state is exactly what I want to do when my youngest leaves the house in 2.5 years. My plan is to take two weeks off from work, rent a car (so I don't care about driving sweaty, and I don't put thousands of miles on my car) then try to drive to each of the 48 contiguous states and run at least a mile in each along the way, preferably trail miles. Because I'm a planning geek I've even been plotting and refining my course. I do wonder if I'll ever get to do it though. Taking 2 weeks off for just myself is a rather selfish endeavor, but I would LOVE to do it. I love driving, I love exploring new areas, and, of course, I love running.

As currently plotted it's about 8250 miles and 131 hours of driving for 16 days. 1 mile per state would be the minimum. Some places I'm sure I'd want to run farther. The trick is not only to find the most efficient route, but to do so while still finding good trails to run. So yeah, I can see the appeal of your crazy running idea. :)

1ph46coydbco.jpg
    929jnkyif93y.jpg

@JessicaMcB awesome photo! You two look great together. Happy anniversary!
    @juliet3455 love the photos!
    @dreamer12151 we ALL started out in the kiddy pool! You belong here as much as anyone else. I found this thread within a week or two of the start of my running.
  • hjeppley
    hjeppley Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Quick 3.2 mi run in neighborhood between grading sessions. Procrastination is a good motivator for PT exercises too!

Goals this month: 90 miles, maintain weight, PT and yoga, add one day of weights per week, register for spring marathon or ultra

Day/Distance/Comments

Dec 1 Walk outside for about 30 min (rest before race)
    Dec 2 Jackson 50/50 10 mile “Fun Run” 4th female finisher in this crazy steep trail race (10.2 mi total)
    Dec 3 3.4 mi slow recovery run, PT
    Dec 4 Water walking + PT
    Dec 5 3.3 mi
    Dec 6 Rest day (unintentional!)
    Dec 7 3.1 mi + PT
    Dec 8 Water walking
    Dec 9 5.5 mi + yoga + some PT
    Dec 10 12 mi + Gymnastic Bodies stretching routine + PT
    Dec 11 Water walking + PT
    Dec 12 5.1 mi + PT
    Dec 13 3.1 mi + PT
    Dec 14 4.8 mi + PT
    Dec 15 Walked outside
    Dec 16 4.5 mi (5K race + warm up)
    Dec 17 Ran 14 mi
    Dec 18 Water walking + PT
    Dec 19 3.2 mi + PT + body weight
    Dec 20 3.2 mi + PT + body weight
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    @7lenny7 now I REALLY want to say AWESOME to your plan, because 'like' just doesn't cut it.

@ddmom0811 I do like your plan. Earlier this year I did a 13 hour drive on my own up to a Scottish island (with a brief overnight sleeping in the back of my car in a layby which was an experience in itself!!!) and made myself stop ever 100 miles, and get out and walk for 10-20 minutes. Other people have suggested stopping every 2 hours is the way to go and I agree.

BUT - the problem with stopping to run is that along UK motorways the only places to stop are motorway services, and there's nowhere really to run to (maybe if you try there might be). So getting in a decent run in a nice place isn't quite going to happen.

On my way back from my trip, I was so exhausted and sleepy I changed my stops into every 1 and a half hours, pushing back the seat and sleeping for 20 minutes. That was better for me and everyone on the road around me....
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    Date Miles today - Miles for December

12/1 5 miles - 5
    12/2 14.5 miles - 19.5
    12/3 REST DAY
    12/4 8 miles - 27.5
    12/5 9.5 miles - 37
    12/6 4.25 miles - 41.25
    12/7 10 miles - 51.25
    12/8 4 miles - 55.25
    12/9 REST DAY
    12/10 10 miles - 65.25
    12/11 8 miles - 73.25
    12/12 10 miles - 83.25
    12/13 5 miles - 88.25
    12/14 10 miles - 98.25
    12/15 4.75 miles - 103
    12/16 15 miles - 118
    12/17 8 miles - 126
    12/18 REST DAY
    12/19 10 miles - 136
    12/20 REST DAY

exercise.png

Elkmont Hound Dog Half (unofficial) - 1/21 << 1:46:48 2 OA
    Elkmont Hound Dog Half (rescheduled) - 2/18 << 1:41:04 1 in AG & 24 OA
    Kentucky Derby Festival Marathon - 4/29 << 4:09:59

Upcoming races:
    Oak Barrel Half Marathon - 4/7/18

It was dark and rainy this morning and I was up late and still feeling a little sore. So rest day today.
    I am leaving this afternoon to go visit my mom for the holidays. Long car drive tonight to Indiana.

• MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    The button labels . . . to some extent, I think having a lot of buttons to click waters down the meaning. In particular, "Like" and "Awesome" were really just 2 levels of intensity for the same reaction. So it makes sense to get rid of one, and Like is more universal. Agree with folks who say "Woo" is pretty meaningless. "Hug" is a good concept, except they converted all the old Awesome clicks to Hugs. No, a Hug isn't the same as an old Awesome!

Going forward, I can see myself giving out a lot of Like, Hug, and Insightful clicks. Woo doesn't do it for me, and while I get the Inspiring button I'm not easily inspired. Just too mundane, I guess.

As @PastorVincent says, it's their sandbox and if we play in it we play by their rules. Even if their rules don't seem to make any sense.

Non-running news: I didn't seem to hurt myself bad by running yesterday, but it was pretty easy to make the call that today needs to be a rest day. Still a long way from being the runner I remember being.
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    @ddmom0811 I wasn't going to say anything until it actually happens (IF it happens) but your mile per state is exactly what I want to do when my youngest leaves the house in 2.5 years. My plan is to take two weeks off from work, rent a car (so I don't care about driving sweaty, and I don't put thousands of miles on my car) then try to drive to each of the 48 contiguous states and run at least a mile in each along the way, preferably trail miles. Because I'm a planning geek I've even been plotting and refining my course. I do wonder if I'll ever get to do it though. Taking 2 weeks off for just myself is a rather selfish endeavor, but I would LOVE to do it. I love driving, I love exploring new areas, and, of course, I love running.

As currently plotted it's about 8250 miles and 131 hours of driving for 16 days. 1 mile per state would be the minimum. Some places I'm sure I'd want to run farther. The trick is not only to find the most efficient route, but to do so while still finding good trails to run. So yeah, I can see the appeal of your crazy running idea. :)

@7lenny7 You need to modify your route to hit northern Alabama (Huntsville) and run Monte Sano with me and @skippygirlsmom and @WandaVaughn