December 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    juliet3455 wrote: »
    @JessicaMcB Your post is confusing. Should I be happy for you completing 100 miles, or worried that you hurt your knee and were puking?

Happy. Puking happens to pretty much everyone who does a 100, from what I have heard/read. She also ran it in sub-elite time as a first timer she's going to be amazing.

Just under a 10 min mile pace it looks like. That is nuts!

9:53 pace for 100 miles to be exact. I keep telling her she's going to have to go pro, after her first 100 race, sponsors are going to come knocking..... Something I'll never have to worry about...LOL

" in an acceptable time frame " -- yeah. Sheesh. :lol:

Don't forget That was done in Winter Conditions in Alberta. Snow and slush along the roads/trails. I am guessing self supported - zero aid stations except for drop bags ( if the critters don't sniff them out )

slush, then re-freezing and from what I've been told, it was no drop bags, how I understood it.

And the awful wet solid ice that effs your footing. All that is best in Canada :D
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    12/1 - 5 miles. Still loving the warmer than average weather!
    12/2 - 5 miles.
    12/3 - Busy / rest day.
    12/4 - 5.15 miles. This weather is nuts! It was 63° at 4:45 a.m.
    12/5 - 4.75 miles. 35° temperature drop in 24 hours...Brrr!
    12/6 - 3.5 'mill miles, then upper body weights / abs.
    12/7 - Unplanned rest day. Didn't sleep...ZZZZZ
    12/8 - 3.5 on the treadmill, then weights and abs.
    12/9 - 4.5 windy miles.
    12/10 - 3 'mill miles, then extremely short upper body weights.
    12/11 - 5 miles.

exercise.png
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    JessicaMcB wrote: »
    juliet3455 wrote: »
    @JessicaMcB Your post is confusing. Should I be happy for you completing 100 miles, or worried that you hurt your knee and were puking?

Happy. Puking happens to pretty much everyone who does a 100, from what I have heard/read. She also ran it in sub-elite time as a first timer she's going to be amazing.

Just under a 10 min mile pace it looks like. That is nuts!

9:53 pace for 100 miles to be exact. I keep telling her she's going to have to go pro, after her first 100 race, sponsors are going to come knocking..... Something I'll never have to worry about...LOL

" in an acceptable time frame " -- yeah. Sheesh. :lol:

Don't forget That was done in Winter Conditions in Alberta. Snow and slush along the roads/trails. I am guessing self supported - zero aid stations except for drop bags ( if the critters don't sniff them out )

slush, then re-freezing and from what I've been told, it was no drop bags, how I understood it.

And the awful wet solid ice that effs your footing. All that is best in Canada :D

basically the same stuff I run in all winter too.... though I might as well be in Canada with where I am.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom great video! Trying to figure out GPS art is very hard. There's a guy in Vancouver who does amazing stuff with his bike, but that would take far too much planning for me to do.
    @shanaber cool article! I should do that too. I do have one run planned out wtih a word, but it's not my kids names.
    @orphia, you can use a marathon plan for a 50K plan, just get some trail work in for your long runs, at a minimum, and get as much hill work as you can, both hill repeats and hills on your long runs, particularly towards the end.
    @rolaasad way to go getting out and running!! Sometimes I'll sing during a run so quietly no one can hear. Sometimes I don't care who hears and I'll sing aloud in my normal voice. The loud runs are usually the ones I enjoy the most. It helps to have ear buds in so I can't hear myself though, LOL!
    @NikolaosKey sorry to hear you're now one of the wounded. Get back on your feet soon!
    @fitoverfortymom outstanding race!!
    @garygse I love my Ultimate Direction SJ vest but I think you'll find hydration pack preferences are all over the place. UD, Salomon, Orange Mud, Nathan, Ultraspire...all make great packs. I'd look for something lightweight and with many adjustments for sizing. My pack has two 20oz bottles and room for a bladder if I wanted. It's also very light. Not only does it not chafe, but on my 50K it prevented nipple chafe when I forgot to apply my bandaids. But I have no doubt the others are just as good. If certain models are available locally, I'd check them out for fit. Put some weight in them and run around the store or in the parking lot. I will say that the vest you linked to does not look like it has much ventilation but that could just be the photo. I know Salomon is well regarded for their vests. Once you get one, run with it on short runs first to work out how you like to tension it, strap it, etc. BTW, I love your idea of doing an all night run! I'm going to steal that idea when my knee gets its *kitten* together.
    @amymoreorless great job on the marathon!!! Looking forward to reading more about it.
    @JessicaMcB wow....just....wow!
    9:53 pace for 100 miles to be exact. To put it in perspective, and I don't know how the courses match up with elevation, but the women's Course record at Western States is 16:47:19.

I keep telling her she's going to have to go pro, after her first 100 race, sponsors are going to come knocking..... Something I'll never have to worry about...LOL

Some more perspective. The women's record for 100 miles was, until just a month ago, 13:45:49. It was broken last month at the Tunnel Hill 100M race in Illinois (very flat race compared to most ultras) with a time of 12:42:39.

So on her first completion, she missed a recent record time by just under 3 hours on a much more vertical course with snow and ice to contend with, self supported, no crew (I'm assuming). That may not seem close, but it my world it is.
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    I'll echo @7lenny7 on UD vests. I have the Jurek FKT and it served me well on my 100k and will be with me in my ultras in the coming year. UD makes great products.

Also going to echo how Awesome @JessicaMcB did. The point on the 100 mile WR is huge. it was her first 100 mile and she came within a few hours of the WR on a more technical course with more elevation.... someone is going to officially be the elite in our midst, the moment she wins her first 100 mile.
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    Stoshew71 wrote: »

Cuz I spel reel gud!

No red line in my spell checking tools... and I copy/paste it for each update. So the typo stays forever! :D

For the longest time, I called this thread the *Insert month here* Running Challenge

*Insert month here* Running Challange <<<< I didn't notice that mfp changed it back to the correct spelling above. LOL But the first time I started the thread, I misspelled the word challenge and just copied and pasted it every month until someone else caught it.
  • Stoshew71
    Options
    Date Miles today - Miles for December

12/1 5 miles - 5
    12/2 14.5 miles - 19.5
    12/3 REST DAY
    12/4 8 miles - 27.5
    12/5 9.5 miles - 37
    12/6 4.25 miles - 41.25
    12/7 10 miles - 51.25
    12/8 4 miles - 55.25
    12/9 REST DAY
    12/10 10 miles - 65.25
    12/11 8 miles - 73.25

exercise.png

Elkmont Hound Dog Half (unofficial) - 1/21 << 1:46:48 2 OA
    Elkmont Hound Dog Half (rescheduled) - 2/18 << 1:41:04 1 in AG & 24 OA
    Kentucky Derby Festival Marathon - 4/29 << 4:09:59

Upcoming races:
    Oak Barrel Half Marathon - 4/7/18

• seanevan10
    seanevan10 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    shanaber wrote: »
    @skippygirlsmom - I love that commercial! I have seen it a time or two on TV and it always makes me smile and think I should do that for my DH :) I also saw this the other day and thought it was really awesome https://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/life/2017/10/11/iowa-dad-honors-kids-cancer-spelling-out-their-names-ons-morning-runs-spell-out-names-children-cance/753547001/
    @ereck44 - let us know what happened with your nurse friend! I am glad she took action and was vindicated!
    Thanks @Stoshew71! Happy Birthday to you too in advance!

WOW! I got a little teary-eyed with that one. Such a great story.
  • dreamer12151
    dreamer12151 Posts: 1,031 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    @7lenny7 Your post was a roller coaster! Was reading: (son basketball) Yay! Way to go! (mom not doing well) So sorry, can relate. So hard when parents get older. (Run) Wow - 16 planned? (pain) Ouch! Sorry about that, hopefully nothing too serious. (Hawk) Cool! Would have been neat to see.
  • Stoshew71
    Options

@fitoverfortymom Congratulations on your HM finish.
    @amymoreorless Congratulations on your full marathon finish.
    @JessicaMcB That is just awesome for a 100 miler. Wow!!

Thank you @seanevan10

• bossymom15
    bossymom15 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    So thought I would try this to keep me motivated. It's hard here in the plains, get off work at 5 and it's dark by 5:30. I'll have to add in some walking at lunches. to make it.

32 miles.
    Bossymom15

12/2 - 4.5 miles
    12/6 - 1.3 mile - ran till it was too dark. Our roads aren't so great, don't want to fall on my face. Looking forward to Saturday. the weather should be perfect.
    12/9 - the weather WAS perfect! I went out to run another 4 miles and ran 6.5. (It was downhill the last two miles, so after I got up that hill..... so 12.3Miles this week.

@sarathes - love your view!

• greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Well, I missed my Saturday run due to chaos and a mental breakdown (just kidding, but gosh dangit, now BOTH our cars are broken!) and Sunday was also crazy and was already a planned rest day because we had a party. Besides that my left knee has been totally weird since Friday afternoon. Before that, early in the week, I noticed pain when getting up from squatting and had to learn to modify how I rise up to avoid the pain. But then Friday my kneecap started feeling "loose" and clicking constantly just as I walk around???? That knee has always popped LOUD and OFTEN but that was more of a tight feeling and I'd intentionally pop it to release it. Now it's just popping on it's own as I walk around or move side to side. It's freaking me out. It doesn't hurt at all though to walk around with it crackling like that. The only pain is when I get up from squatting if I don't separate my feet so my left foot is out front. I have no idea if I should run on this. My back and neck are crackly but the knee feels more worrisome. I just don't know. I've possibly hurt my knee spending way to much time getting up and down dealing with our aging dog and his messes.

@_nikkiwolf_ Great looking shoes and way to go toughing out the nasty weather.
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    I made my knee appointment for next Tuesday. I found a doctor who "prefers to work with runners" and is a runner himself.

That's great to hear! How do you think this is going to effect your Zumbro training?
  • WandaVaughn
    WandaVaughn Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    Argh. Saturday was a planned rest day (except for doing laundry. No rest, there!) We also had daughter drama. And I found out that evening that a favorite uncle passed away down at the VA hospital. Sunday morning I dragged myself out of bed to take the car-less neighbors to their church services, then attended my own. Got home only to turn around again for extra choir practice, then Christmas party with our kids' class. Home late and crashed. Monday got up feeling hung over even though I'd had not one drop of alcohol the previous day. This evening is the hubby's shift Christmas party, which I'll be attending.

Maybe I'll get miles in tomorrow. I *need* miles tomorrow!
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    @amymoreorless Congrats on not dying! I love the gong!

@7lenny7 That's awesome for your son! My son is about the same age (13-almost-14). He has played basketball every winter since 1st grade, and he decided not to play this year. He's opted to play indoor soccer instead, which is awesome (I was a soccer player growing up), but it sure feels weird not to be in the stands watching my boy shoot hoops.

@JessicaMcB 100 miles!!!! You ran 100 miles!

Can someone who is better than me explain tempo runs? I'm looking at the Hal Higdon intermediate 10k plan here: http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51123/10K-Intermediate-Training-Program to improve my 10k time. To give you an idea of my current running style, it looks something like:
    • Get out of bed around 4:30 am.
    • Stumble to the bathroom to get dressed and put my hair in a ponytail.
    • Head outside and raise fist to the sky so the Garmin GPS knows where I'm starting.
    • Press "start" on my watch and run my route for however many miles is on the plan for that day.
    • Come back home a little before 6am and walk the dog for a cool down.
    • Shower and get ready for work and get on with the rest of my day.

I basically just kind of run the best I can and when it feels hard that day, I keep my brain busy with some fartlek stuff between posts on a fence. So far, it's simply been about getting the miles in. I also don't know what my 5k race pace is because I've only run one 5k race and the course was somewhat of an anomaly.

So what I'm asking is how do I do a "tempo run?" What is the benefit of doing a tempo run and if I'm not consciously doing a tempo run
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    I made my knee appointment for next Tuesday. I found a doctor who "prefers to work with runners" and is a runner himself.

That's great to hear! How do you think this is going to effect your Zumbro training?

There's no way to tell at this point. There are so many variable to this that I couldn't even guess.

My hope is that I lose less than a month of running. If I only lose 2 weeks I'd be thrilled. Some have had to quit running for a few months. Ultimately I just want to be able to run long term, even if I have to sit out for several months.

Three things are encouraging:
    1. It feels like it's on the outside of the knee, where the meniscus gets a better blood supply, so better chance of healing.
    2. It normally doesn't hurt to walk (though it's hurting now because of yesterdays run).
    3. Though it's the same knee as my previous meniscus tear, it's not the same meniscus. This is lateral, that was medial. My medial feels fine.

There's a 18 hour cutoff for the 50 mile which is 21.5 minute miles if I did my math right. I'll walk it if I have to, if the doc gives me the all clear. I won't jeopardize my running long term for this race, but I'll be in it if at all possible.

• skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    12/1 – 0
    12/2 – 5 miles
    12/3 – 0
    12/4 – 7 miles
    12/5 – 5 miles
    12/6 - 0 miles
    12/7 – 6 miles
    12/8 - 0 miles
    12/9 - 3 miles
    12/10 - 7 miles
    12/11 – 0 miles

33 of 100 miles

I rolled over in the bed last night and got a twinge of WTF in my Achilles tendon in my right leg. I’m not sure if I hit it on something or what. So I decided to take the day off just to be sure it’s nothing. It doesn’t hurt at all, Dr. Skip who knows everything about Achilles did some tests on it ha ha and tells me I’ll be fine before I’m married LOL

Oh good night @shanaber you have me blubbering like a baby at my desk.
    @_nikkiwolf_ Love the new shoes! Love the saying in the lid of the box! Looks like ice skating might have been easier. Great job!
    @Orphia I think the don’t comment might be gears towards a short race, though I didn’t read the article. I have been in 5Ks where people are wearing vests.
    @ddmom0811 by cold do you mean 50s?
    Fantastic @JessicaMcB
    @7lenny7 great game your son had, I bet your mom enjoyed watching him. I’m sorry mom isn’t adjusting well, give her time, no one likes change. Good luck with the knee, the first question I ask about doctor’s now is “do they run?”.