Temporary Maintenance Thread!

Options
MegaMooseEsq
MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
edited December 2017 in Goal: Maintaining Weight
I've been lurking around these parts for a while, being envious and admiring of the fine folks who've hit their goals or found a happy spot or are just taking a breather. And then last night, I set my account to maintenance for the first time - so many calories! Alas, it's only temporary - I still have about 30 lbs to go out of 70 total to get to a healthy weight from where I was around this time last year, but the fine folks over in the refeed thread convinced me that tis the season for a diet break, so here I am! After a day at maintenance, I've got to say this feels great - it's like I'm on a food high, although that might just be the mocha I had this morning after a year of abstaining from most liquid calories. Anyhow, happy holidays maintainers big and small!

Also on-topic in this thread: grandmas, hair-pulling, and gingerbread. ;)

Replies

• Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,522 Member
    Options
    Excellent work! My approach for the last year has been to keep logging. In my many prior attempts, I've stopped logging and my weight has inched back up. Best of luck!
  • MegaMooseEsq
    Options
    I've been lurking around these parts for a while, being envious and admiring of the fine folks who've hit their goals or found a happy spot or are just taking a breather. And then last night, I set my account to maintenance for the first time - so many calories! Alas, it's only temporary - I still have about 30 lbs to go out of 70 total to get to a healthy weight from where I was around this time last year, but the fine folks over in the refeed thread convinced me that tis the season for a diet break, so here I am! After a day at maintenance, I've got to say this feels great - it's like I'm on a food high, although that might just be the mocha I had this morning after a year of abstaining from most liquid calories. Anyhow, happy holidays maintainers big and small!

Also on-topic in this thread: grandmas, hair-pulling, and gingerbread. ;)

:D

But what about buckeye balls?

zemt09h6d1hm.jpg

NOM NOM NOM!
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    pinuplove wrote: »
    @quiksylver296 Don't you mean buckeye boobies? :tongue:

I should totally just change the name. Forever.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options

Now I kinda want to make these:
    ia1g0posn33g.jpg

Jealous of those of you eating at maintenance through the holidays! I really want to be at an even 20 lbs lost by year-end so alas, I must behave. More or less :smirk:

Mmm... boobies! Also, good luck - you can do it! I realized a few days ago I wasn't likely to hit my end-of-year goal (getting out of the obese bracket), so I wrote a super upbeat post about it on the weight-loss forum and decided to take a break.

I loved your super upbeat post. I wish it would have taken off more. More people probably need to see that. Maybe I'll go bump it.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    Options
    Excellent work! My approach for the last year has been to keep logging. In my many prior attempts, I've stopped logging and my weight has inched back up. Best of luck!

I'm definitely still logging for now. I went to enter my dinner last night and forgot I'd set my account to maintenance - I thought my Apple Watch was malfunctioning and gave me a few hundred exercise calories!
  • MegaMooseEsq
    Options

Now I kinda want to make these:
    ia1g0posn33g.jpg

Jealous of those of you eating at maintenance through the holidays! I really want to be at an even 20 lbs lost by year-end so alas, I must behave. More or less :smirk:

Mmm... boobies! Also, good luck - you can do it! I realized a few days ago I wasn't likely to hit my end-of-year goal (getting out of the obese bracket), so I wrote a super upbeat post about it on the weight-loss forum and decided to take a break.

I loved your super upbeat post. I wish it would have taken off more. More people probably need to see that. Maybe I'll go bump it.

Aw, I'm glad. I was actually feeling kind of bummed out that day, so I figured I'd cheer myself up. I'm glad it brought a little more cheer to others, too!
  • ryenday
    ryenday Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    Semi-maintenance here for December. I only count calorie deficit on a weekly basis - so I’m allowing myself to eat up to that weekly maintenance calorie allotment.

So that holiday party? Yeah I went way overboard on the Chex mix. But, it was on a Saturday and I had plenty of calories to spare!

Co-worker brings delicious gingerbread cookies to work (see what I did there? Doubly on topic) and I can partake without blinking.

So generally I’m eating at diet levels except for allowing holiday treats in up to maintenance level. (Also, I’m a 5:2 intermittent faster, and am still fasting on Tues/Thursdays in December).

Thus far I’ve been under maintenance each week in December but by far less than usual. And Christmas Day is a total day off for me. My only rule is to not make myself sick.

I’ve lost 1 pound since Thanksgiving so I’m doing all right. Time to get serious about healthy eating again next month. (Not taking an exercise holiday in December is certainly helping too.)

It’s been fun, and I’ve been able to not feel deprived because I can eat a piece of fudge, a gingerbread cookie or some chex mix.

Tis the season and all.

• LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    Ps Loving the foodie pics... yum :smiley:
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options

@RunRutheeRun Are you familiar with this thread? (Apologies if you've posted there and I've missed it!) Tons of food pics :smiley:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10498878/looking-for-friends-who-dont-eat-clean-and-healthy#latest
  • MegaMooseEsq
    Options

@RunRutheeRun Are you familiar with this thread? (Apologies if you've posted there and I've missed it!) Tons of food pics :smiley:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10498878/looking-for-friends-who-dont-eat-clean-and-healthy#latest

Oh man, I'm normally of the opinion that Hershey's chocolate tastes like cardboard, but those cinnamon chips look amazing.

ryenday wrote: »
    Semi-maintenance here for December. I only count calorie deficit on a weekly basis - so I’m allowing myself to eat up to that weekly maintenance calorie allotment.

So that holiday party? Yeah I went way overboard on the Chex mix. But, it was on a Saturday and I had plenty of calories to spare!

Co-worker brings delicious gingerbread cookies to work (see what I did there? Doubly on topic) and I can partake without blinking.

So generally I’m eating at diet levels except for allowing holiday treats in up to maintenance level. (Also, I’m a 5:2 intermittent faster, and am still fasting on Tues/Thursdays in December).

Thus far I’ve been under maintenance each week in December but by far less than usual. And Christmas Day is a total day off for me. My only rule is to not make myself sick.

I’ve lost 1 pound since Thanksgiving so I’m doing all right. Time to get serious about healthy eating again next month. (Not taking an exercise holiday in December is certainly helping too.)

It’s been fun, and I’ve been able to not feel deprived because I can eat a piece of fudge, a gingerbread cookie or some chex mix.

Tis the season and all.

I don't remember if I mentioned it in the other thread before my accidental derail was deleted, but the cookie my food pusher coworker "forced" me to eat yesterday was gingerbread, too! It was pretty tasty.

I'm not enjoying my exercise break, which is good, because it means I've successfully brainwashed myself into liking exercise. My husband thinks I've gone mad, but I can tell he's happy for me. I'm starting Fitness Blender's bodyweight program tomorrow morning and am really looking forward to it. I'm not sure that tripling my average workout burn is the best timing with a diet break, but I'll just have to try harder to eat more!
  • MegaMooseEsq
    Options
    Well I decided to do maintenance for December and wasn't going to weigh myself except on Fridays. Mostly following my normal weight loss diet but allowing myself some holiday splurges. Bad news, I have gained three pounds. I know that isn't a disaster but old habits are peaking out again, like evening snacking. So apparently I'm not ready for maintenance. I'm very disappointed in myself. I'm so glad that Christmas is almost over. Now I have to get back on track and re lose those same three pounds. Plus another 17. I have been at this for almost a year and had lost 53 pounds. Have to wrap my brain around this change is forever. Sigh.

I haven't stepped on the scale yet, but I'm given to understand that it is extremely common for the scale to go up a few pounds when you start eating at maintenance, especially if you've been eating low-carb. Plus you've physically got more food in your system - that stuff has weight too. You've lost 53 pounds - that's amazing! Give yourself a break and I bet you those last 17 (or 20, even) will come off faster than you expect.

(Also, mandatory push for the refeed thread b/c it's amazing: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10604863/of-refeeds-and-diet-breaks/p1)
  • SSpeakes
    SSpeakes Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I hit the button last night to up my calories to maintenance too. I figured since I was officially on vacation til Jan 3, then so is the diet. It was both scary yet exciting. I didn't quite meet my goal last night bc I started it kinda late. I'm struggling with the mental part of it though. I go to eat something but my mind says "no, too many calories. Eat a banana." Please tell me that goes away and I can enjoy this. I finally finalized my Christmas day dinner and am planning 4 (!!!) desserts! I really want to enjoy them guilt free.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure it ever feels guilt free...sorry to say! I'm at maintenance almost 5 years and I still think all the time in terms of calories and if something is worth it. Those 4 desserts you are planning, well for me I'm doing 4 too but I'll probably only have a small slice/ portion of two of them. I'll decide which ones will be my favourite and stick to that. I'm aiming for two days of no more than 500 cals over my TDEE (so that gives me 2400 per day). My tastes have changed to preferring savoury rather than sweet, so it's fairly easy for me to turn down dessert in general.

For the past three Christmas' at maintenance I've not gained. That's how I like it rather than having to spend January and sometimes February back in calorie deficit.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options

I'm definitely still logging for now. I went to enter my dinner last night and forgot I'd set my account to maintenance - I thought my Apple Watch was malfunctioning and gave me a few hundred exercise calories!

Five weeks later and I still sometimes see my cals remaining after pre-logging the basics and go 'huh?'. It's going to be even worse now that I've just reset it to a surplus (that isn't actually a surplus).