Keto

Looking for support Group for Keto lifestyle

Replies

• JustRobby1
    JustRobby1 Posts: 674 Member
    I do not have the URL handy, but I am sure someone else will post a link to the group here on MFP that contains the various low carb sects where you can find more information.

That being said, as with all new people who pursue fad diets or named regimens, my concerns rest with the fact that they don't tend to facilitate a mentality for a permanent lifestyle change, only adherence to a "diet". This can be problematic because almost nobody is going to be able to sustain Keto for life. This leads to the commonly observed "yo-yo" effect, people gaining it all back when they abandon the "diet", or similar outcomes. In any event, best of luck as you begin a mission for a new you.
  • gogirlgo40
    gogirlgo40 Posts: 3 Member
    Thank you
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Here is probably the most active low carb group (not just for keto): http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group

As to being a "lifestyle change," I would say it depends upon the reason for choosing a diet. Diets can be temporary as long as you are planning and able to follow a maintenance approach after you reach your goal weight (it is surprisingly controversial that a maintenance approach can include different foods than your diet). In my case, eliminating carbs helps me manage BG as a type 1 diabetic. So it is a long-term approach for me, but it doesn't need to be for everyone. For those who use it to feel more sated with fewer calories while eating in a deficit, but have no issues with fullness on maintenance calories; then I see no reason why keto must be maintained forever.
  • momonik29213
    momonik29213 Posts: 1 Member
    I was informed Thursday past I am a diabetic so doc suggested low carb high fat diet need to get this under control by feb
  • Jigglypuff00
    Jigglypuff00 Posts: 267 Member
    edited December 2017
    Also, try this group: Keto Group. We have a weekly weigh-in challenge and you will find plenty of support there!

You are lucky that you have a doctor who understands the Ketogenic way of eating and it's benefits for treating diabetes. It's definitely helped me. So you are going in the right direction!
  • Jigglypuff00
    Jigglypuff00 Posts: 267 Member
    JustRobby1 wrote: »
    ...That being said, as with all new people who pursue fad diets or named regimens, my concerns rest with the fact that they don't tend to facilitate a mentality for a permanent lifestyle change, only adherence to a "diet". This can be problematic because almost nobody is going to be able to sustain Keto for life. This leads to the commonly observed "yo-yo" effect, people gaining it all back when they abandon the "diet", or similar outcomes. In any event, best of luck as you begin a mission for a new you.

Actually, there are many people who are able to sustain a Ketogenic lifestyle. In fact, it's easier to maintain it than a SAD because the foods you are eating is very satisfying. Once you are fat-adapted, you can eat a higher amount of carbs every so often to get that taste sensation if you want. Since I've started this way of eating, I've "met" loads of people online who are Keto lifers. For myself, I forsee no problems for me to continue this way of eating after I've met my goal. And including more healthier carbs into my daily diet.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    The groups linked above are very good. Good luck.
    I was informed Thursday past I am a diabetic so doc suggested low carb high fat diet need to get this under control by feb

@momonik29213
    Look into the book, Dr Bernstein's Diabetes Solution. Its a great book for all diabetics on how to lower blood glucose very quickly on a very low carb diet.

This is a good introductory video of his:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VaNJO7KMgg

or this:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyOI9bk3VZc&t=14s

This is good info too:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=da1vvigy5tQ

Also, Dr Fung's book, The Obesity Code, is written for overweight diabetics and is a good LCHF plan with fasting that will help with insulin resistance.