LuluLemon...worth the price?

Options
What is your opinion on Lulu Lemon? Prior to Christmas I went to the store with the intent of purchasing a pair of leggings for my college aged niece. I knew they were expensive, but $118 a pair??? I could not bring myself to do it, so I went to Athleta and purchased a pair for $79, which is still a crime in my eyes. Imagine my surprise (and shame) on Christmas day when I opened my gift from her family and it was a pair of LuLu Lemon leggings. I tried them on and they are very soft and comfortable, but I still can't imagine that they are worth that much money. I guess time will tell when i actual wear them on a run.

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Like @JoRocka I was really put off by previous messaging by the company, but I do have one tank top with a built-in sports bra that was handed down to me. Based on my experience with that one top, I would say it's okay but not something I would hold up as exceptional.
  • Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    Absolutely not.
    1. I think they as over priced.
    2. I think any company that makes pants in limited sizes and says "some women just shouldn't wear them" can kiss my *kitten*.

I support clothing companies with positive messages. You want amazing leggings with an amazing message? Check out GRRRL clothing.

Completely agree.
    On a side note...I got a pair of their leggings as a hand me down and they looked awful. I thought they were supposed top make every booty look fabulous, but they did absolutely nothing for mine, which is pretty awesome from all the lifting I do. Unimpressed with both the quality and message of the company.
  • bendyourkneekatie
    bendyourkneekatie Posts: 696 Member
    Options
    I have leggings and shorts of theirs that I've trained for and run marathons in for a couple years and still going strong. I have purchased cheaper stuff that has had to be replaced, so not cheaper after all.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    Nope, definitely not worth the price.
    Old Navy fits better, looks better, wears better, and is way cheaper (IMHO)
  • Skipjack66
    Skipjack66 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I agree about their past messaging as well. I am a six footer with an (obviously) larger frame and their CEO’s blunder about sizing and butts and fabric really put me off the brand. I really don’t like even walking into the store to be honest, although it’s always so busy in there!

However I got a pair of 3/4 length tights along with a tight tank with a built in bra about seven years ago as a Christmas gift. I can’t say the tights have impressed me. They are thick and hot while working out and have little balls of white fluff all over them that I’ve never been able to remove. I actually hate them. They also hang weird below the knee. The tank was better, although the built in bra was not enough so I have to use a regular sports bra under. I find the combo of the tight shelf plus bra really hard to get over my broad shoulders so I rarely wear it.

I’ve had great luck with adidas tights and Nike tights that I bought on sale for under $40 that lasted close to ten years. I’ve now replaced them with under armour brand (sale tights again) so we will see how long they last.

Yesterday I saw some tights at Victoria Secret and I picked them up. $88 for a pair! I gasped! Everyone is on the pricey tights bandwagon it seems!
  • GemstoneofHeart
    GemstoneofHeart Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Never would I ever spend that much on workout clothes.
    There is a resale shop that gets lulu a lot near me, maybe try second hand stores? But it goes fast so you almost have to be there when they put it out.
    My favorite workout clothes remain old navy, but I do like the BCG brand at academy and Walmart as well.
  • Alpha12
    Alpha12 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Not worth it. The quality is no longer there.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,987 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Not worth it but . . .

I have a polo shirt (not sure where/when I got it but certainly bought it on sale because I'd never pay full price) and a 1/2 zip pullover that my GF just gave me for Xmas.

They are well made and have a luxurious feel and texture that nothing else I wear has.

Still not worth the price to me BUT there is a difference that may be worth the price to others.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    So I'm not a lady and I'm not a runner, but I spend a lot of time outdoors and have a lot of clothes of exercising outside. Quality is absolutely worth paying for, for important stuff. You should update the thread and let everyone know your impressions after you've put some miles on them.
  • Mslmesq
    Mslmesq Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    I don’t mind spending more for quality. I don’t shop there, so I cannot comment on their quality. But I’ve had good luck with workout clothes from Neiman Marcus Last Call. Good quality at a fraction of the original price.
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    I have leggings and tanks from lulu that have lasted for years. I’m happy with the quality for the price.
  • Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I like Nike more than Lulu, so for quality leggings, I'm not likely to shop at Lulu. However, that is just personal preference in overall brand. I'm not opposed to paying that much for quality leggings, especially if they are cold proof!

I do like some of Lulu's thick jackets since I'm in Chicago and having something warm without being ridiculously bulky is key. I find the pricing for their stuff to be expensive but not insane and reasonably comparable to other quality brands.