Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Too Much Carbs And Sugars Stunt Optimal Growth/Height Potential For Children

Options
OuchArtist
OuchArtist Posts: 41 Member
edited December 2017 in Debate Club
I'm not sure if there are any studies out there addressing this exact thing, but it's well known that when insulin is present in the body, it acts as an anti-HGH (growth hormone), the crucial hormone critical for growth of children especially in their puberty years...
I observed some of my young relatives growing infront of me, and when I look back at it, those who grew to be tall and well-built, I remember them being not so good fans of 3 meals a day or snacking in between meals,they would skip breakfast, or even lunch sometimes, not allowing insulin be present 24/7 like some children who eat candies non-stop.
Also some parents, think that stuffing their children with calcium or vitamin D, will be enough for bone growth, ignoring the fact that nutrients work together in the body, in this case, magnesium, boron, vitamin D, and calcium work together in the body to build healthy bones.
I would like to see some insight from your side yall guys too.

Replies

• paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,001 Member
    Options
    Yes if this theory were true, people with juvenile type 1 diabetes would all be small - clearly that is not the case, and as far as I know there is no average difference between height of people who had juvenile type 1 diabetes and those who didnt.

Not sure all our ancestors - ie all primitive people throughout the whole world - ate one meal a day either.
    I suspect a lot of gatherers in hunter gatherer societies snacked on food as they gathered it
    and certainly many mothers carried babies in slings and suchlike and breastfed them a lot more constantly than we tend to do in our society.
    By this theory such practice would stunt the babies growth - yet we all know babies in their first year have the fastest growth rate of all human life.

I think there are no studies proving this because it is a false premise.
  • Ann262
    Ann262 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    the human body is complicated and amazing. A diet that is too high in sugar isn't good for kids, without a doubt. To be healthy, we need to keep a good balance in our diets. I think it would be stretch to say that someone is short because they ate too much candy as a child.

https://www.endocrineweb.com/conditions/type-1-diabetes/what-insulin
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    I'm short, and candy was a rare treat while I was growing up. Both my parents are at least a few inches taller than me. I don't know what my genetic potential is, but I highly doubt that candy stunted my growth. I was a very active and thin child. I don't think that you will find much support for your theories that we are meant to consume OMAD, or that sugar in childhood reduces growth. Perhaps the lack of studies is because there is no support for these theories.
  • ZoneFive
    ZoneFive Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    OuchArtist wrote: »
    It is becoming clear that we are meant to eat one meal a day, and people around the world are experiencing the best health benefits eating just one meal a day, just like our ancestors used to.

Becoming clear to whom? I honestly want to know how anybody proves that our ancestors ate only one meal a day.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I don't see this in my kids and they have a huge height variation between them. They are still growing but my oldest, who eats a lot of whole foods but has a sweet tooth, is short. My second son eats beige food that is moderate to high carb and is taller than his high school aged brother. My youngest, who probably eats the widest variety of foods, is very tall with men's size 10 feet at age 10 - he is moderate to low carb.
    psuLemon wrote: »
    sijomial wrote: »
    You do realise that insulin is an anabolic hormone?

My first thoughts, too. Followed by the concerns expressed about children on ketogenic diets and the impact on growth.

I think that is an issue for classical/medical ketogenic diets only, where calories and protein is restricted. For a child eating adequate calories and protein, I cannot see how growth would differ between those with high, moderate, or low carb diets.