Why Can't I Just Do This

Options
This is a question that I ask myself every time I give up on losing weight. I know that I can do this, but I just don't, at least not longer than a few weeks. Prior to my divorce I did a great job at losing weight, losing 50 pounds and was quite comfortable with myself (despite being emotionally miserable in my marriage). A couple years after the divorce I got remarried and am extremely happy in my marriage. I couldn't ask for a better husband. I have tried to improve my health several times in our five years of marriage, but can not keep motivated. I am nearly back to the weight before the pre-50 pound loss. Thankfully, my husband loves me regardless. I just wish I could get back that motivation I had years ago when I was miserable. You would think that the happiness I have emotionally would make it easier to lose weight again. So I just don't understand why I can't just do it and stick with it?

Replies

• rach3116
    rach3116 Posts: 34 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    “Love weight” is common- you get happy and comfortable and nothing matters but being in love.
    Sorry- I meant to add more here!
    You need to find what you enjoy about the struggle of losing weight/being healthier. Such as, some like the numbers and data of their nutrition and workout logs, some like the restriction, some enjoy the satisfaction of how they feel, etc....
    If you don’t enjoy the struggle, then you won’t reap the benefits.
  • lucerorojo
    lucerorojo Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    Are you tracking and logging your food on mfp?
  • inquilter01
    inquilter01 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I hadn’t heard that before but that does make sense. Sometimes when I think about losing weight I think about how it will effect ‘us’. Not in our relationship but what do I make for dinner, etc. He is the first man that has told me I am a good cook. I don’t want things to change.
  • inquilter01
    Options
    I was tracking on MFP but got away from it as part of the on/off again times. I do okay if I stick with it. I will say though that at 5 foot, there is not a lot of calories available
  • Knoxvilla5
    Knoxvilla5 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I'm with you, Inquilter--at 5'0" we have to eat like birds to maintain a "normal" weight. Kinda makes life miserable when everyone around you can eat 2,000 calories and just *live*. :neutral:

Good luck on your renewed journey!
  • lucerorojo
    Options
    I think you may need to face the possibility that you will need to track in order to maintain your weight loss. I haven't reached goal yet but when I do I will continue logging. It's worth it to me to not regain. You can still cook the same food just eat LESS of it. I think you are complicating it but looking for reasons outside yourself. Track your calories. If you do that and stick to it what difference does it make who you are married to?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,561 Member
    Options
    It's possible that you relate that maintainable weight loss with a "miserable" marriage. Possibly it could be that if you subconsciously get back to that 50lbs loss, you'll be back in a miserable marriage again. I'm thinking here beyond what may be just lack of motivation.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • inquilter01
    Options
    Ninerbuff, when I read your post, it brings tears to my eyes. Does that mean you hit the nail on the head? If so, any thoughts on how to get past it?
  • lucerorojo
    Options
    I was tracking on MFP but got away from it as part of the on/off again times. I do okay if I stick with it. I will say though that at 5 foot, there is not a lot of calories available

True, but whether you log or not doesn't change that.
  • juliegilburd
    juliegilburd Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I wish I had an answer for you, but I find myself in the same boat. I'm just going to keep trying again and again until I can make it stick. Hang in there!
  • lucerorojo
    Options
    Have you shared any of this with your husband? Is he supportive of your dieting efforts?
  • DaisyCynthia
    DaisyCynthia Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    A happy life is no guarantee for a healthy weight. Happy people and unhappy people come in all shapes and sizes.

This is the truth! As a society, I think we program ourselves to believe that to be truly happy you have to be a certain weight. But that’s not true! It’s okay to be overweight and happy! It’s also okay to love yourself just the way you are and to seek to develop healthier habits (that may or may not lead to weight loss).

I would recommend focusing on developing the healthier habits. E.g. want to be more active - go for walks or bike rides with your hubby. Take a fun dance class. Join an intramural league if you have the time.

You are already happy. Don’t allow society to make you question your happiness. Overweight people can be happy too. Focus on eating right and being active - not the number on the scale.

• inquilter01
    Options
    Lucerorojo, I have talked to him about wanting to lose weight and that I was able to do it in the past. He tells me that if I want to then to go for it. He doesn’t want to be the reason I don’t. He said once that just because he loves me no matter what it shouldn’t give me the leeway to let myself go. I know he’s right.
  • DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    There's that old phrase about being in love "now she's fat and happy." Your husband loves you just the way you are, so you're telling yourself there's no reason to make a change. But your excess weight bugs you. Lose the weight and maintain your new habits. You may end up happier with yourself for developing the discipline. My husband and I have started taking longer walks and hikes together. We cook together, and that's fun.
  • dwrightlaw
    dwrightlaw Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    Don't ask why you can't do something, instead tell yourself all the reasons you can & will
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    Well hey this isn't easy to do. Changing habits is hard especially if it's not fun.

But you have only failed if you give up trying...which you haven't. Yeah you!

Maybe your wonderful supportive hubby can help you? Maybe set some phone reminders to log? Set some reminders?
  • clicketykeys
    clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member
    Options
    I hadn’t heard that before but that does make sense. Sometimes when I think about losing weight I think about how it will effect ‘us’. Not in our relationship but what do I make for dinner, etc. He is the first man that has told me I am a good cook. I don’t want things to change.

This is your issue. I think what you really mean is that you want to continue to have a happy relationship, but somehow what's gotten into your head is that you're finally at a good point and you don't want to make any changes because that might put your happiness at risk.

I would suggest seeing if you can figure out some activities that you and your husband could do together. Not to get him to lose weight or anything, but to make your loss part of that happiness.