Vegetarians, Pescatarians out there?

Options
May 5, 2016 was the day I changed my lifestyle forever. It was the single best decision I've ever made for myself. NO it's not for everyone, but it was for me.

If this is you also, you KNOW how much hell we catch for this lifestyle. Up until last month, I didn't eat ANY meat at all. I have recently added shellfish and some seafood to my diet on a rare occasion.

Would love like minded friends if you're out there! We can encourage each other in our unique way of living :) Please feel free to add me to your friends list.

Replies

• NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    I don't eat any meat at all, but I've had a lot of time to get used to the idea that other people do. I mostly keep it to myself and don't really get any flack for it.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I don't eat any meat at all, but I've had a lot of time to get used to the idea that other people do. I mostly keep it to myself and don't really get any flack for it.

I may just be lucky with my social circle/co-workers/family, but literally nobody in my life cares that I don't eat meat.
  • twopaulines
    twopaulines Posts: 55 Member
    Options

I don't share the word either, unless it's a must. For example, I work in a very "pot luck" heavy environment lol Especially during the holidays and when people ask me to try their buffalo chicken dip, I politely decline and mention it. Bit mistake lol

I don't mind other people who eat meat, my 16 year old son does and that's okay. But for me, I've loved the lifestyle change. It was exactly what I needed.

• kimkimcoleman
    kimkimcoleman Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I haven't eaten any meat since January 8, 2008. About to have my 10 year vegiversary lol. I know it's not for everyone but it is the best thing for me. I don't think anyone gives me any crap about it. No one really gives me any crap about any of my choices, I must be scary lol.
  • cemeyer1
    cemeyer1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I haven't eaten any meat since January 8, 2008. About to have my 10 year vegiversary lol. I know it's not for everyone but it is the best thing for me. I don't think anyone gives me any crap about it. No one really gives me any crap about any of my choices, I must be scary lol.

do you mind if i follow you, im also a vegetarian and would love some food inspo...
  • flmnbently
    flmnbently Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Vegetarian for two years. I'm not sure if I'll be terribly inspirational food wise since I still eat like a dope just without the meat (working on that!) But likeminded friends are nice
  • rach3116
    rach3116 Posts: 34 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    I’ve been pescatarian for years!!! Fading into more vegan now naturally too.
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    A couple of good sources I've bookmarked for pescatarian recipe ideas - the first one unfortunately doesn't provide nutrient info so you'll have to figure those out to enter as recipes in MFP, second one does provide nutrient info:

http://www.pescetarianjournal.com
    https://pescetarian.kitchen
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,170 Member
    Options
    Jeez, I've been vegetarian (ovo-lacto) since sometime in July, 1974. I can't remember anyone really giving me grief (let alone hell) about it in that whole 43 years, other than cases where they were clearly just kidding around . . . and almost no one around me was vegetarian, so they often went out of their way to accommodate my odd habits. I was even married to an omnivore/hunter for 20+ years (widowed, not divorced, BTW).

Maybe you do need some new friends! ;)

And I do talk about it, when it's natural to do so (picking restaurants with friends, when invited to others homes, etc.) You haven't been trying to convert those around you, I hope? ;) (That almost guarantees hostility.)

Seriously, vegetarianism is pretty easy, and didn't really change anything about weight loss, as far as I could see, if that's your goal.

• JRSINAZ
    JRSINAZ Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    2 years here
  • theabsentmindednurse
    Options
    Vegetarian married to a butcher.
    Yes really.
    I get no grief. Still cook my little carnivores meat and I just batch cook my own meals.
    We do all eat loads of interesting salads.
    Love the life. Will never go back.
  • twopaulines
    twopaulines Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Jeez, I've been vegetarian (ovo-lacto) since sometime in July, 1974. I can't remember anyone really giving me grief (let alone hell) about it in that whole 43 years, other than cases where they were clearly just kidding around . . . and almost no one around me was vegetarian, so they often went out of their way to accommodate my odd habits. I was even married to an omnivore/hunter for 20+ years (widowed, not divorced, BTW).

And I do talk about it, when it's natural to do so (picking restaurants with friends, when invited to others homes, etc.) You haven't been trying to convert those around you, I hope? ;) (That almost guarantees hostility.)

Seriously, vegetarianism is pretty easy, and didn't really change anything about weight loss, as far as I could see, if that's your goal.

Lol I wouldn't dream of trying to convert anyone. I only mention it again, when picking restaurants or having dinner with others. It's more co-workers and their comments. For example, "We brought doughnuts, but you better be careful there might be meat in them." I even had a co-worker bring a styrofoam bowl of grass to me at my desk and say "here's your lunch." I would hear "Oh, we can't go there, they may have meat."

Yes, all of this was done in laughing but it was relentless, daily, and everytime. Lol Absolutely got old. Now, the demographics where I live is a backwoods Southern farming community. I don't even know another vegetarian lol. Theres no traffic light in my town. I pulled in the drive thru at Hardee's one day behind a horse. Lol They have biscuits and gravy flavoured Lays potatoe chips at our local grocery store lol (not sure if that's national or not). Needless to say, it's not widely understood/ accepted in my town. And that's ok
  • MichelleWithMoxie
    MichelleWithMoxie Posts: 1,818 Member
    Options

Lol I wouldn't dream of trying to convert anyone. I only mention it again, when picking restaurants or having dinner with others. It's more co-workers and their comments. For example, "We brought doughnuts, but you better be careful there might be meat in them." I even had a co-worker bring a styrofoam bowl of grass to me at my desk and say "here's your lunch." I would hear "Oh, we can't go there, they may have meat."

Yes, all of this was done in laughing but it was relentless, daily, and everytime. Lol Absolutely got old. Now, the demographics where I live is a backwoods Southern farming community. I don't even know another vegetarian lol. Theres no traffic light in my town. I pulled in the drive thru at Hardee's one day behind a horse. Lol They have biscuits and gravy flavoured Lays potatoe chips at our local grocery store lol (not sure if that's national or not). Needless to say, it's not widely understood/ accepted in my town. And that's ok

Whoever did the bolded above sounds like an asshat.
  • starryphoenix
    starryphoenix Posts: 381 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    I’ll probably never be a full vegetarian. Right now it’s not possible for me to give up meat, but when I live on my own the only meat I plan on eating is fish. I don’t care for the rest. Chicken is good, but I could easily give it up.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

The biscuit and gravy flavored Lays are a national limited edition thing. It's not specific to the South.