INTERRACIAL relationships ALL FOR IT? or not.

Options
LesieliSky
LesieliSky Posts: 26 Member
I've always thought of other races and cultures more beautiful than my own. Never have I ever been with my own kind and maybe because the chance never came but I'm sure it was just me. I guess a long time ago I made up my mind that I would love to get married to a man of a different race and make mixed babies with. Is that strange? I'm a Southern California Pacific Islander woman. My S/O is Chinese and part Russian and I've been only his for 5 years now. Recently, I've been trying to imagine how life would be like if he and I decided to really get serious and start a family? Today, I look around and I see more black with white, more white with Asian, more Hispanic with black etc, etc. Could it work? Interracial relationships on that level of commitment in a relationship.

Replies

• fr3smyl
    fr3smyl Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    Yes it could. My husband and I are a blank and white mix (11years). My cousin lives in S. Korea married to a Korean guy.

And several of my other cousins married to other races. It all depends on what you are willing to put into the relationship.

Also realizing that every relationship has problems to overcome (different types of upbringing, languages, or beliefs, etc.) You compromise but realize that not everyone will agree cause no two people are the same.

But all of us have asked the same question you did before we tired the knot.
  • SubZeroDude
    SubZeroDude Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    LesieliSky wrote: »
    I've always thought of other races and cultures more beautiful than my own. Never have I ever been with my own kind and maybe because the chance never came but I'm sure it was just me. I guess a long time ago I made up my mind that I would love to get married to a man of a different race and make mixed babies with. Is that strange? I'm a Southern California Pacific Islander woman. My S/O is Chinese and part Russian and I've been only his for 5 years now. Recently, I've been trying to imagine how life would be like if he and I decided to really get serious and start a family? Today, I look around and I see more black with white, more white with Asian, more Hispanic with black etc, etc. Could it work? Interracial relationships on that level of commitment in a relationship.

This might be because I'm young (20 yrs old), but I don't know why this is even a question. I dont get how race could affect anything besides genetic dispositions.
  • Luke_I_am_your_spotter
    Luke_I_am_your_spotter Posts: 4,179 Member
    Options
    I'm all for any type of marriage-- interracial, same sex-- love is love. There are real problems out there and who people chose to marry shouldn't be one of them.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,538 Member
    Options
    In about 100 years or so, there won't be any "pure" race. Practically everyone's ancestry will have a mix of something in them. I've never seen why interracial marriages couldn't work IF both parties compromise. My sister is married to my "white" brother in law. He does alot of stuff with our side of the family since we are close. More than he would do with his own. Now if he decided NOT to participate, that may lead to an issue with their marriage since my sister is very involved with all of us. So certain things can make it harder, but again, I don't really see how it couldn't work if there was compromise.
    Stereotying are why many people are against interracial marriage, IMO.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • ladykate26
    ladykate26 Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    Have I been in a time warp and gone backwards 50 years? Why is this even a question. Outraged
  • ladykate26
    ladykate26 Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    I'm all for any type of marriage-- interracial, same sex-- love is love. There are real problems out there and who people chose to marry shouldn't be one of them.

Hear hear!!!! Well said
  • Call_Me_BIGDADDY
    Call_Me_BIGDADDY Posts: 2,016 Member
    Options
    It's all about what ur attracted to.. if a woman is attractive Idc about her race.. beauty Is beauty!!
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options

+1,000

Love who you love. Those who oppose or object to your right to do so are the problem, not the norm.
  • blueyellowhorse
    blueyellowhorse Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    as long as they're not green...or purple...
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    as long as they're not green...or purple...

Intersteller-species-ist!!

Best love story on Doctor Who:

vastra_and_jenny_kiss_by_dragoon23-d67gkv9.png
  • fr3smyl
    fr3smyl Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    If you were asking if you, your S/O, and kids will face prejudice, the answer is yes. Depending on where you live it may be more prevalent than other places. But everyone deals with prejudice of some kind.

We live in the US so we faced it more in the Northeastern states (mainly DC area). There were separate organizations and groups for every possible ethnicity and race. For each group you either fully supported them our you didn't.

The south, midwest, and western US areas we visited didnt care as much. Neither did some of the European countries. Or at least if they did they didn't tray us any different like DC area.

Do your families like each of you? As long as the man of the relationship is willing to stand up to his family you're odds of surviving are better. Not being sexist...it's just what the statistics say.
  • EaglesFan4Ever
    EaglesFan4Ever Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options
    if there is attraction then absolutely.
  • ronronronj
    ronronronj Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Beyond the mutual attraction, do you share the same set of values? Worldview? Approaches to financial management?

I know, it sounds really boring, but those are the factors that make up long-term stable relationships. They are stronger than skin color.

Are family members or friends being really judgmental? I can see where that might be a concern for you, but you can get past it. If you have differences in religious upbringings, you might want to have a rational conversation on how you would raise your children if you have any.

Otherwise, I wish you and your S/O the best and many years of happiness.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,793 Member
    Options
    I never, personally, looked for someone based on race, ethnicity or religion. I always found the people I dated while I was doing things I enjoyed. Relationships just happen. I couldn't even guess what the success rate is of dating someone that is different than yourself compared to someone of the same whatever. It all comes down to the commitment of the two people involved. Regardless.

As for your judgment of other "races and cultures" and one being better than the other. That's on you. You should give that line of thought up. We all start out the same.

• km8907
    km8907 Posts: 3,861 Member
    Options
    ALL FOR IT!!

Zombie thread back from the dead
  • elizarizo
    elizarizo Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    For it! Yes!
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Did you mean to post this in 1950?
  • KeepRunningFatboy
    KeepRunningFatboy Posts: 3,055 Member
    Options
    There is one race, it’s the human race.
  • 2011rocket3touring
    2011rocket3touring Posts: 1,346 Member
    Options
    Exercise caution.
    Different cultures, pigmentation are evolved from a unique set of circumstances. Throw someone who is alien to them and you have a few more cards against you.
    I am in a mix marriage and know of what I speak.
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    Z_I_L_L_A Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    I'm in, I'm a mixed puppy anyway. Go back far enough and we're all related anyway.