Xmas water weight gain and drop - Give us your data!

Options

Replies

• Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    This is great. Thanks for your stats, lovely people.

Studies show people gain an average of 1 lb over Xmas / New Year.
    http://theconversation.com/will-you-gain-weight-this-christmas-50192

This is not hard to lose again if we say no to a snack a day for a while, and/or walk a bit more, for example.

The problem lies when these minor adjustments aren't made and it stacks up over the years.

Luckily, we're all in the right place to avoid that, and also see those past gains diminish!
  • spiffychick85
    spiffychick85 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I am up 2lbs since 12/20....I'm not worried though....I always take a diet break this week and get back to it after New Years ;)
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    I did great over Christmas - down half a pound Christmas week - but then had a fall while running and now up 3 lbs. No visible swelling anywhere but just generally feeling sore all over and like I'm retaining water for repairs. I'm theoretically eating at maintenance until after New Year's but lost almost a pound a week over December due to getting a lot of exercise.
  • MrsPinterest34
    MrsPinterest34 Posts: 342 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    I went up 1 pound and came back down. However this week is my TOM, horrible timing, it was a rough Christmas. So I have to wait and see what my actual weight is this weekend or next week. I usually lose after TOM.
  • Spiderpug
    Spiderpug Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I went up 6 lb in the 2 days! 4 days later still 6lb up but now TOM so will get more accurate weight next week!
    Not bovvered!
  • SophiaJane81
    SophiaJane81 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Spiderpug wrote: »
    I went up 6 lb in the 2 days! 4 days later still 6lb up but now TOM so will get more accurate weight next week!
    Not bovvered!

This is exactly me. Up 4lbs in 2 days and still now. But now I am due on my TOM and it's still the same.

• Orphia
    Options
    mlinci wrote: »
    I got back from my Christmas break yesterday, and weighed myself this morning. I'm only up by 300g, which is negligible. This is great news. I also got shingles, unfortunately, which is not good news at all!

Yay for your good news. But aww, so sorry to hear that about your shingles!

Not bovvered!
    Not bovvered!

This is exactly me. Up 4lbs in 2 days and still now. But now I am due on my TOM and it's still the same.

Great to see people well-adjusted to normal weight fluctuations. Your patience sets a good example.

• UK92
    UK92 Posts: 53 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Last I weighed was around early October, have been keeping rough estimates of calories since then, surprisingly I was down 6 lbs when I weighed yesterday despite all the high sodium meals over christmas :D Not long to go until maintenance!
  • lucerorojo
    lucerorojo Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    I lost about .5 lbs. (just weighed in) since my last weigh in two weeks ago. I indulged on Christmas Eve and this past Friday and have a dinner out tomorrow. (I'm staying on track today). Christmas week I did not exercise and this week I just did one hour per day, very light stationary bike and walking. (Usually walk 90 minutes, 4 times a week, plus 2 zumba classes and maybe a swim, 1 hour bike/walk on 1-2 days per week). I'm set to lose about 2.5-3 lbs. in 2 weeks, so I think less exercise and Christmas week (away from home-I logged but it was "estimate) did it, but I was glad I didn't gain.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,436 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    I went all crazy for a couple of weeks or so (long story) with multiple days over maintenance and several at around double maintenance. I didn't track all that carefully, but I'm guessing I've probably added something like 3 pounds of fat.

I've been maintaining for a while in the upper 120s. Last time I saw that was 12/20, 129.8 pounds, so just barely. I'm not going to be exhaustive, but here are some key points, all AM weigh-ins:

12/24: 133.6
    12/26: 137.0
    12/27: 134.0
    12/28: 131.0

In year 2 of maintenance, none of this is remotely worrisome or stressful. I'm eating a bit under maintenance again, and if I don't do anything else extreme, I'll be back in the 120s in a week or so. If I throw in more big day(s) around New Years, it'll be a little longer. Meh. ;)

Quoting myself to update (and bump in the hope the newly joined will see the thread):

I did have a couple of intervening big days on 12/29 (4348 calories) and 12/31 (3937 calories), eating about 1850 net on other days. Still saw 130 on the scale this morning. Maybe more of the Christmas gain was water/digestive contents than I thought. We'll see. ;)
  • ashliedelgado
    ashliedelgado Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I went up 4, still up 2 as of right now. Went kind of crazy the last couple weeks of the month and didn't really track, so I'm not complaining too much. I'm also walking into HOLD ALL THE WATER phase of my cycle, so keeping that in mind as well.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    Last weigh-in before my free-eating period was 178.

Highest weigh-in during free-eating period was 186.

Today's weigh-in (after 1 day back on track) was 180.
  • Orphia
    Options
    You guys are so helpful. :heart:
  • MoveitlikeManda
    MoveitlikeManda Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    I hadn't weighed in for a while before Christmas.
    so between 24th November and 1st January I gained 4.1lbs.
    I was expecting more as had not been counting/logging at all.

Anyway, this morning Im already back down 2lbs and the only thing Iv changed so far is upping my water intake again and stopped snacking on pringles
  • karynclarke
    karynclarke Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Took a diet break (and scales break) from Dec 15, although I still logged.

Ate mostly at maintenance, or just above - there was one day with about 900 cals over maintenance.

I did LOADS of travelling, new exercise with the associated DOMS, ate all the carbs, lots of salty foods, I'm in my luteal phase... Basically, all the things that can contribute to water weight.

Stepped back on the scales Christmas day, and had gained 9lbs! Dec 26 I went back to my deficit, by today (3 days later) I've lost 4 of those 9 lbs. I'm guessing about 1-2 lbs might be actual fat gain, but should be back to my previous low within the first week of Jan.

Totally worth the break, and proved to myself that I can take a break and get right back to it, instead of just saying *kitten* it and gaining most of it back like all the other times.

Update: I'm back to the weight I was before the diet break, so my prediction of being back to my previous low within the first week of January was correct :smiley:
  • DEBOO7
    DEBOO7 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Spent most of December up and down like a yo-yo!
    Next to no tracking due to 3 birthdays in the 2 weeks before xmas, then xmas, then being exhausted from the whole thing.
    Normally sit around 52.5-53kg.. was at 54.4kg on the 28th! A bit of focus and I'm back down to 53.4kg this morning.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    Water weight after Christmas Day and Boxing day meant a +3lb 'gain' - 3 days later I was back at my usual weight.