mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »
    blambo61 wrote: »
    If it does help with weight loss, any benefits can be overcome by eating too much.

that means it doesn't help with weight loss.

No it doesn't. It can help but still be overcome is not inconsistent.

How can it help?

The references I gave said it helped reduce hunger, helped with insulin sensitivity, and also reduced post meal blood glucose spikes.

I'm missing the part in that article where it says it does any of that for humans. It cites a couple of studies that it says "could" do or "suggests" it might do so for rats. Is that what you're referring to?

The references in the article talk about those things.

Yes, I read it. That's how I know you're talking about what the results "could show" or "suggest" for rats. It's not even definite for them, let alone humans.

They did make some definitive claims in the studies. I didn't download the whole study to read, I just read the summary that was given. They should state the uncertainties in their studies. Nothing I read said that they proved that it didn't work!

Proof it doesn't work should not be the criteria though............this is backwards.

Because I can't find the "study" that proves marshmallow Peeps (or whatever) are not good for weight loss, is not a reason to force myself to eat them 3 times a day.

Please look harder! I would have no trouble eating Peeps however many times a day required :)
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    CissyGB wrote: »
    What are your thoughts? Anyone taking this daily? Has it helped in overall health, weight loss, etc?

No, it doesn't generically help with health or cause weight loss. Some have specific issues where it might be helpful, or worth a try, but I never had any of those issues so haven't tried it for that.

It's one of many fermented foods that could be helpful to the gut biome (eating a healthful diet overall is more significant, focusing on having a bit of ACV is definitely missing the forest for the trees if one does not have a good diet and make sure calories are on point and so on). I would never personally consume ACV on its own, as if it were medicine, but I love fermented foods and vinegars and use it in my cooking.

There's nothing special about ACV, for the record -- the benefit (as a fermented food) is the presence of the live culture, which could exist in any vinegar (although ACV is more often sold that way). You can make your own, too.

That's not what the studies I referenced said. I don't think it has to be ACV either and other vinegars would be similar.

What's not what the studies you referenced said?
  • litoria
    litoria Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Great in salad dressing, and useful in concentrate form as a weed killer....I would bet the overwhelming majority of claims about it's miracle powers are apocryphal.
  • Natasha233
    Natasha233 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I’ve been using them for 2 weeks now and it’s definitely helping with digestive issues.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,442 Member
    Options
    During my weight loss (around 1/3 of my body weight), I drank it daily for weeks at a time, and I didn't drink it at all for other weeks at a time.

I noticed zip-zero-no-nada effect on my very predictable weight loss rate, on my appetite, or any other related thing.

Why did I drink it? Because (1) I like it, (2) I believe personally but cannot defend scientifically that eating probiotic/fermented foods is good for me, and (3) there's some sign it can help older folks among whom stomach acid insufficiency is more common, so as a 62-year-old with slight IBS-C tendencies, it seemed worth trying, as long as I like the stuff anyway.

Why, then, did I not drink it for weeks at a time? Because it seemed to aggravate the first-ever-in-my-life horrific heartburn that was the chief symptom of my gallbladder adenomyomatosis, a symptom that ended totally when the gallbladder came out.
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    Based on personal experience, apple cider vinegar did nothing for my health or weight loss. The one time I tried it as an "acid reflux remedy," the heartburn became 10x worse.

May have had something to do with adding acid to your acid reflux.
  • skygirll
    skygirll Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I have insomnia and 1Tb ACV with honey in a cup of water (via straw) at night let me sleep all through the night! I did it several nights in a row and it was fantastic!! Then I started having extra digestive problems, and more research led me to conclude it is not good for people who have had their gallbladder out. I was so bummed. I really loved all the sleep I was getting. Sleep can help with weight loss so I'd continue as long as it kept working.
    *Always rinse your mouth out after, and wait 30mins before brushing teeth.
  • Veganvibesss
    Veganvibesss Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I drink kombucha almost every day!